Whats the best day to go?

Guest broony

Hi all,

This is the first time we'll be going to glasto and was just wondering what the best day is to go to the site were traveling down on the wedensday (will get to bristol about 2 in afternoon) but was thinking about just going along on thursday morning, or would it be better to just get on shuttle bus and go right there???? does the majority of people go in on the wedensday?????

Cheers xx

Until last year when the festival advertised itself as a festival from Wednesday to Sunday, while a good number turned up on the Wednesday (and had been growing steadily over the years), most turned up after Wednesday.

Because of that change last year, huge numbers tried arriving on the Wednesday, leading to eight hours or more queuing in traffic for some. I suspect that next year will be the same (particularly for those arriving later in the day), so if you went on the Thursday you'd avoid those hassles.

There's barely any entertainment on the Wednesday and not much on the Thursday either (and none of the major stuff on either day), so from that angle you're not really missing anything by arriving on the Thursday. However, Glastonbury has a fantastic atmosphere, and just being there and soaking it up from the Wednesday makes it more than worthwhile arriving that early for many.

Wednesday.

First quest - blag a rest stop, floor, car seat close to site for Tuesday night.

Second quest - get up at crack of dawn to be in queue when gates open.

Third quest - lug tents to chosen field (if Pennards this will already be curiously full...side quest is to find space for 10 tents here) - fight and erect tents. Return to car for further supplies.

Camp all set up by midday - everyone can stop being antsy - have a drink/get some lunch/kip. Chill out - explore - enjoy ;)

Daren't think about it... suppose I don't get a ticket.... :rolleyes:

2009 was my first time - we left West Yorkshire just after midnight on Tuesday night & had a steady drive down, arriving at Sedgemoor service on the M5 around 4:30 am.

After a couple of hours kip we left the services and were 100 yards from the Orange entrance by 7am Wednesday morning.

By 8:30am we were walking through pedestrian gate D and fully set up by 10:30am on Wednesday morning.

I would recommend that approach to anyone - whilst there is very little happening on Wed/Thur the atmosphere is something to savour and gives you chance to get your bearings.

You have 2 choices.

If you wanna camp near the action, Wednesday, as earlier as possible.

If you don't mind camping around the edges and/or away form the 'action', Thursday will do, enough time before sundown to pitch your tent, get water and a brew (if your packing a brew up kit), and discover what is near you (handy place for breakfast, closest bar etc). Then you can get an earlish night and be fresh to enjoy the weekend.

Turning up Friday, just seems/feel like a rushed job, you will spend the whole day recovering from the journey, pitching tent etc, that you won't actually enjoy the day!

Wednesday.

First quest - blag a rest stop, floor, car seat close to site for Tuesday night.

Second quest - get up at crack of dawn to be in queue when gates open.

Third quest - lug tents to chosen field (if Pennards this will already be curiously full...side quest is to find space for 10 tents here) - fight and erect tents. Return to car for further supplies.

Camp all set up by midday - everyone can stop being antsy - have a drink/get some lunch/kip. Chill out - explore - enjoy B)

Daren't think about it... suppose I don't get a ticket.... :huh:

From what I gather all accommadation nearbye will be fully booked already, If I get a ticket I want to be there for the gates opening. Any ideas on what to do, we will be travelling down by bus or train as we don't drive. Thanks in advance.

I blame the Internet. People started claiming you had to arrive on Wednesday in order to get a decent campsite. It wasn't true.

Then enough people started taking that advice, that it became true.

I arrived about 10pm on Wednesday last year. Where my friends had set up, South Park, a long way out, had already filled up. I just about squeezed in.

Thinking of getting a train from London to Glasto on Tuesday and hotelling a night (afternoon to see the town) and getting up crack of dawn for gates opening. Did this at Reading as well (not hotel as its only about 30 minutes on train) and loved it :blink:

This rate I'm still going on my own though...

Usually like to arrive as close to Weds morn as possible to avoid rush and get settled. Might leave early Weds morn this year. Seeing as we live in Brizzle we have advantage of not having to drive for hours and we know all the nice country lanes which negate hours of traffic. I remember my 1st Glasto in 97. My friends and i got stuck in traffic on Thursday night (so young, so stupid!) and decided to walk the rest. Ended up walking about 7 miles. Journey only made more fun by others doing teh same and constant beer breaks. Never left it that late again.

Hi all,

This is the first time we'll be going to glasto and was just wondering what the best day is to go to the site were traveling down on the wedensday (will get to bristol about 2 in afternoon) but was thinking about just going along on thursday morning, or would it be better to just get on shuttle bus and go right there???? does the majority of people go in on the wedensday?????

Cheers xx

There is so much to see, especially if it's your first time so I'd suggest getting there on the Wednesday. Plus, if you're anything like I was on my first Glastonbury experience, you'll walk around in a daze of awe for the first while anyway. Give yourself as much time as possible before all of the craziness starts!