Comedians you recommend

Josie's Cat

I've been coming in and out of this thread for a good few days now picking up recommendations whilst I've been off work sick. Deffinetely some good stuff in here.

Jim Jeffries was a really great shout. I haven't laughed at a comedian so much in a long time. His 'Alcholocaust' show is excellent, there was some really brutal stuff in there but the tale about his old school friend with muscular distrophy was inspired. Louis CK is better than I expected him to be if a little predictable. Frankie Boyles ¨If I could I'd reach through the TV and punch you¨ or whatever it's called was also suprisingly excellent. When he rips on members of the crowd he's so cruel and so vicious. I think he really declined before he dissappeared a few years ago, but I would recommend that show to anyone.

Stephen Lynch not so much, it was all a little clean cut American for my liking. Same for a lot of the youtube videos in here, I clearly don't get why Sam Kinison is funny (maybe I'm too young?).

However, of them all (and probably the reason I'm posting) Doug Stanhope - who I think Purple Monkey recommended - is my new favourite comic. I've seen him on Screenwipe but oh my, his stand up show is at times genuinely horrifying, his world view is nothing short of inspiring at times and he is so unbelievably funny. I'd buy him so many beers.

Good thread.

Edited by Greeny_Musicchild

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis CK is just fucking amazing. The TV show too. Hilarious, utterly inventive and and with an utterly confident, moral centre. For me, there's no-one in the world who can touch him at the moment. Big fan of Stanhope, he's great, but Louis CK is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment. Funny, cos a few years ago i watched something by him and totally wrote him off as just another loudmouthed hack.

Also, just before Christmas I saw Daniel Kitson's latest one man show, not stand up per se, but fucking brilliantly funny none the less. Good news is, he's back to writing a new stand up show for this year's Edinburgh. Can't wait.

Louis CK is just fucking amazing. The TV show too. Hilarious, utterly inventive and and with an utterly confident, moral centre. For me, there's no-one in the world who can touch him at the moment. Big fan of Stanhope, he's great, but Louis CK is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment. Funny, cos a few years ago i watched something by him and totally wrote him off as just another loudmouthed hack.

Also, just before Christmas I saw Daniel Kitson's latest one man show, not stand up per se, but fucking brilliantly funny none the less. Good news is, he's back to writing a new stand up show for this year's Edinburgh. Can't wait.

Was that "the interminable suicide of......." saw it myself back in may. Kitson is a revelation. 3rd time seeing him. He is one of my faves.

I watched both full seasons of Louis in under a week, it's fantastic writing, and Gervais is fucking brilliant in it. My missus hates Gervais with a passion and she was pissing herself. Apart from that, Louis' world view is fantastic, all you youngsters should check it out to find out exactly how you will view the world once you have a family and hit the 40 mark, it could have been written personally for me. (for the Gervais haters, he is only in 2 scenes in the full 2 series iirc)

"lucky Louie" is also great, it's a little bit cheesy where the daughter is concerned, but otherwise it's quite gritty for an American sitcom. I'd definitely recommend watching that AFTER watching Louie. I found his love interest in Louie to be incredibly attractive, probably because I have a soft spot for the petite woman, and she is his wife in the sitcom.

Was that "the interminable suicide of......." saw it myself back in may. Kitson is a revelation. 3rd time seeing him. He is one of my faves.

I watched both full seasons of Louis in under a week, it's fantastic writing, and Gervais is fucking brilliant in it. My missus hates Gervais with a passion and she was pissing herself. Apart from that, Louis' world view is fantastic, all you youngsters should check it out to find out exactly how you will view the world once you have a family and hit the 40 mark, it could have been written personally for me. (for the Gervais haters, he is only in 2 scenes in the full 2 series iirc)

"lucky Louie" is also great, it's a little bit cheesy where the daughter is concerned, but otherwise it's quite gritty for an American sitcom. I'd definitely recommend watching that AFTER watching Louie. I found his love interest in Louie to be incredibly attractive, probably because I have a soft spot for the petite woman, and she is his wife in the sitcom.

This one was 'It's always right now, till it's later', the one he wrote after 'the intermnable suicide'. Yeah, love him, in pretty much anything he's ever done. Have you got the radio shows he did for resonance fm? some great music on them. If you haven't, hit me up and I'll send them to you.

Not seen Lucky Louie, will have to hunt it out, but agree with you 100% about 'Louie'. Marvellous stuff.

However, of them all (and probably the reason I'm posting) Doug Stanhope - who I think Purple Monkey recommended - is my new favourite comic. I've seen him on Screenwipe but oh my, his stand up show is at times genuinely horrifying, his world view is nothing short of inspiring at times and he is so unbelievably funny. I'd buy him so many beers.

Good thread.

Might of been me, but yeah I think his stuff is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen recently.. Always wondered if he was a bit too right wing for the UK but seems to be over here enough now.

Might of been me, but yeah I think his stuff is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen recently.. Always wondered if he was a bit too right wing for the UK but seems to be over here enough now.

I'd call him extreme but not right wing.

edit: If that was you, great shout. I had a great time watching his shit on Saturday.

This one was 'It's always right now, till it's later', the one he wrote after 'the intermnable suicide'. Yeah, love him, in pretty much anything he's ever done. Have you got the radio shows he did for resonance fm? some great music on them. If you haven't, hit me up and I'll send them to you.

Not seen Lucky Louie, will have to hunt it out, but agree with you 100% about 'Louie'. Marvellous stuff.

there are some incredibly cheesey moments with the kid in lucky louie, the very opening scene had me reaching for the off button for a while, but the scene that follows it (the scene after he "comes out of the closet" is laugh out loud stuff).

Apart from that, Louis' world view is fantastic, all you youngsters should check it out to find out exactly how you will view the world once you have a family and hit the 40 mark, it could have been written personally for me.

Was watching some of his earlier stuff a few weeks back. When he was in his 20s. Terrible. So full of hope and promise! :lol:

Absolutely love Daniel Kitson- seen him loads of time over the years and never failed to impress- can't wait until he's back on tour again

So extremely right-wing. It pans out as meaning having the right to fuck over all others without any restraint.

That's a really twisted way to describe it. Not that I agree with them, I just don't think they're any more right wing than Republicans.

On topic. I watch Louis CK's show from last year "Live at the Beacon Theatre". I thought he was very good. Tbyman, I see what you mean about it being from a 40 something viewpoint. Jokes about his kids and such I can't relate to but his delivery is excellent all the same. It was a lot better than the older show I listened to last week.

Anyone know a good place to stream his TV show?

That's a really twisted way to describe it.

Nope, it's not you know. It's getting right to the heart of it.

Libertarian ultimately means having the 'freedom' to do whatever you like however the fuck you like.

If you're that 'libertarian' that perhaps sounds great. If you're the person being fucked over by that unrestrained libertarian there's absolutely nothing libertarian about it, as your freedom to do what you like is completely controlled by the doings of that libertarian.

The Tea Party agenda is mild mannered against that.

Libertarian ultimately means having the 'freedom' to do whatever you like however the fuck you like.

If you're that 'libertarian' that perhaps sounds great. If you're the person being fucked over by that unrestrained libertarian there's absolutely nothing libertarian about it, as your freedom to do what you like is completely controlled by the doings of that libertarian.

This is why I hate current politics. It's just buzzwords, all meaningless.

I do see what you mean. I does feel like Libertarianism following on from Americas current brand of Republican Capitalism would result in something similar to what you're suggesting. I would be nice for the USA to get out its nose out of other countries shit though and if Libertarianism was the way they did things 5 years ago their banks would have just failed, in theory at least, because the government wouldn't have interviened and that might have set a better trend for the rest of the world.

I still think the right to do anything (it doesn't advocate mean getting rid of thinks like the Justice system despite it's wholesale reduction of Government power) isn't quite the same as have the "freedom to do whatever you like however the fuck you like".

As a basic level it fucks over the common man less than right-wing politics in America has for many years. In my opinion. I still prefer the Democrats and all round would prefer to just never live there. If they stopped meddling with other countries that would be good enough for me, Libertarianism advocates that.

If they stopped meddling with other countries that would be good enough for me, Libertarianism advocates that.

they only advocate that because they think they shouldn't pay the taxes (or taxes for anything else) that it costs to interfere. Ultimately, that policy of libertarianism isn't about doing the right thing, it's about stealing all the money from the poorest rather than just some.

There is no 'right thing' within libertarianism, aside from self enrichment at the expense of others.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heading up to Edinburgh Fringe on friday, go tickets for Kitson, Brendon Burns and a few others. Cant wait. Also wanna get tickets for Hannibal Buress, I really like what I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1x2bXyT0WY

Live in Edinbrugh now so seen a fair few shows over the last week and a bit. My tips from the shows I've seen:

- Coalition. OK its a play but its very very funny. If you like Yes Minster and The Thick of It then youll love it.

- Thom Tuck; hes got two shows on at the moment. A free one which I saw and laughed all the way though and a paid for one im hoping to convince someone to come and see with me.

Managed to fit in about 14/15 shows at the festival so far.

Andrew Maxwell probably the best at the moment.

If you are still there may I recommend seeing 'Late Night Gimp Fight' at 10:00pm at the pleasance courtyard. Hilarious sketch comedy.

Also Trevor Noah was the best stand up I saw at the festival, I think he will be huge soon.

Other highlights...... NIck Helm, David Trent, Rhys

I had a great time up there!