Comedians you recommend

Josie's Cat

i've seen enough of him that would make a whole set of his. i just think he's average, and that's being kind.

the roadshow is a huge part of why he is big. if he didn't get that slot, you think as many people would have heard of him and he'd have had his own bbc one show with a decent slot?

yes but there is a reason why he got on that in the first place..he didn't just come from nowhere did he, you've got to have something about you to even get on that, he was already selling out his tour before his exposure on that

Anyway, t's all about personal taste at the end of the day... ;)

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael McIntyre was always gonna be big. I remember him appearing midway up the card at Leeds Festival and he got a huge turnout and a great reception. He wasn't really famous then, but you could tell he would be big in some way.

I like him.

Dead Ringers did a pisstake of him where they made him out to be annoying and obvious. Pot, meet kettle.

Edited by Purple Monkey

yes but there is a reason why he got on that in the first place..he didn't just come from nowhere did he, you've got to have something about you to even get on that, he was already selling out his tour before his exposure on that

Anyway, t's all about personal taste at the end of the day... ;)

aye but to make you a household name, like he is now, he needed something like that. and i thought his routine was awful. pretty much about him being a scouser in the most awful of tones.

i can't remenber how i heard about john bishop, but i've been aware of him for ages and i've never watched michael macintyre's show because he makes me want to cry.

it might not have been the michael mcintyre, it might have been live at the apollo. either way, same thing.

Michael McIntyre was always gonna be big. I remember him appearing midway up the card at Leeds Festival and he got a huge turnout and a great reception. He wasn't really famous then, but you could tell he would be big in some way.

I like him.

Dead Ringers did a pisstake of him where they made him out to be annoying and obvious. Pot, meet kettle.

Hes very funny, popular or not. Not obvious either for a mainstream comedian.

that's the same with every single comedian that does tv though. just the way it is.

Of course, comedians only have so much material and so obviously some will be repeated, the thing with Frankie Boyle though is his improv isn't that good IMO. I watched Kevin Bridges twice over the summer and although it was a very similar set the banter between him and the crowd was completely different and seemed natural whereas Frankie Boyles just seems like his banter with the crowd is just stuff he's remembering from a large list of insults.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to go see Bill Bailey's Dandelion Mind in the West End last night. Haven't seen the DVD so i don't know if it does it justice, but that was some of the most entertaining two and a half hours I have had in a long time. The guy's brilliant

Bill bailey is great, i've still got that show to watch but loved all his others

im not going through 4 pages to search if somebody has mentioned the greatest comedian working the circuit right now.

Mr Daniel Kitson

genius is used way to often in contect of entertainers but if any current comedian deserves the moniker, its him!!

Kitson is brilliant - I've seen three of his shows - although they've been his 'theatrical comedy performances'(i.e. he's got a memorised script of a story that he performs - which is very funny and clever and interesting but not so much 'comedy' in that there's no obvious 'jokes' in it and no banter with the audience or anything like that - it's a purely theatrical performance like a one-man 'play' really (and that's not in any way a criticism - as he's been captivating from start to finish)) and I'm interested to know, has anyone seen him do 'traditional' 'stand-up'? If so, what's he like at that? I know he won the perrier about ten years ago for his stand-up but as he doesn't do telly and all his stand-up seems to be in/around south london (though i believe he does do the latitide festival?)then i've never seen him do stand-up and was wondering what he was like?

• 2 weeks later...

i really need to see daniel kitson next year if he does the fringe again.

i'm hoping to go and see jerry sadowitz for my birthday. he is by far the funniest thinig i've ever seen, live or on telly. was actually hurting when i came out.

kitson has announced some dates for this year, though none in scotland so far AFAIK, Ive got tickets for 29 may in Hull. I'm sure he will be at the fringe though ben.

• 2 months later...

Was watching the 24 hour panel people thing and up popped a guy I'd seen at the stand in Glasgow a few weeks ago - Daniel Sloss I think his name is. Actually wasn't particularly impressed by him, but there you go. One of my pals was there last week and Frankie Boyle came up and tried a few new jokes on the audience - it must have been quite a novelty to see him not recycle material. And Glasgow Comedy Festival starts this week yass

Edited by Snufflebutt

• 3 weeks later...

It goes without saying but I wouldn't recommend Jason Manford. I got dragged along last night to help out a friend who had a spare ticket. As expected he was very mainstream and not particularly funny IMHO. Fair play to him though, he was on stage for nearly 3 hours! Puts Frankie Boyle's 1 hour set to shame!

It goes without saying but I wouldn't recommend Jason Manford. I got dragged along last night to help out a friend who had a spare ticket. As expected he was very mainstream and not particularly funny IMHO. Fair play to him though, he was on stage for nearly 3 hours! Puts Frankie Boyle's 1 hour set to shame!

When I saw Frankie Boyle, whilst I was looking forward to it loads you could tell the tour was winding down, he was making the quick buck and not giving a f**k. Shame.

Also have to say congratulations to sonisphere festival for having the balls to change things up a bit and have bill bailey headline the second stage one night.

• 3 weeks later...