The Beatles

Cardboard Box City

Fair enough squire. Does seem to be a bit of a carve up to me. Which is why I can't compare it to say Abbey Road, or even Pepper, which are definately albums. Verging on concepts, but certainly with underlying musical themes. Whereas Magical Mystery Tour just seems like a collection of songs.

Does that make sense? Anyone?

Makes sense yeah. A lot of Beatles albums are a collection of songs though, especially the early ones where they just popped into the studio in between tours. An album is "a collection of songs" though by definition.

Freewheelin' is a collection of songs His Bobness had written. Not all albums are as conceptual as Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon. Which is a good thing.

i shall next time i listen. obviously thats a lot harder to do in mp3 format. damn technology!

I still have my original vinyl copy of it that I play, so that's kinda how I approach it.

To the extent that there is a little scratch half way through Rocky Racoon. Which I now expect :D

Its an album/EP/soundtrack/compilation. So does count as an album.

One of my favourite Beatle moments ever.

I f**king love that, its brilliant.

Been listening to the Sgt Pepper remaster today. Lovely Rita has never sounded so good. :D

Favourite 3 albums?

Sgt Pepper

Abbey Road

Revolver

And I do think MMT is an album, and a damn fine one at that.

I love that song.

...but what was the name of the girl? (Without the use of internet searches, people)

Nancy. But she called herself Lil.

Right, big question of the day:

Favourite Beatles album(s)? You can pick up to three.

Revolver.

Hard Day's Night.

Abbey Road.

- - -

One complaint with Beatles Rock Band, the Hofner bass isnt HALF as good as the original black Stratocaster. Buttons on it are poison.

Here Comes The Sun on Expert is such brilliant fun. As are some of Paul's early basslines. I Feel Fine's bass is IMPOSSIBLE.

i think i seriously underestimated paul's bass playing calibre before playing this. he's actually pretty amazin, in a subtle sort of way.

Perhaps because the bass is low in the mix on Beatles records.

Oh - and suddenly I remember why they don't impress me so much. A bit of bass is what gives a tune balls.

Sorry to interrupt your "Curious Persisting Beatlemania" thread :D

i think i seriously underestimated paul's bass playing calibre before playing this. he's actually pretty amazin, in a subtle sort of way.

I know that JPJ and The Ox were probably better technically, but from a purely musical point of view (lead singer/backing singer/songwriter) Paul McC is the best bass player ever.

Nancy. But she called herself Lil.

You suck.

Her name was Magill, she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.

Hang your head in shame!

I was never a WASP fan Sifi.

Me niether. Those White Anglo Saxon Protestants are a right bunch of w*nkers. They gave us D Dubya!

Edited by Cardboard Box City

Did anyone watch the covers programme on BBC4?

Christ, there were some shockers - Sue f**king Pollard doing Back In The USSR! :)

The programme didn't do Oasis any favours. :D

Went to bed as it was starting, didn't look too good. I watched the programme before it 'Beatles in record' or something it was called? It was brilliant.

For an earlier poster, Paul Mcartney wasn't a great Bass player, but he was good enough, just like Ringo on drums. But PM could turn his hand to a guitar, piano, and other instruments very well, same as Harrison. Just a few genius's who happened to meet at a fair in Liverpool, Lennon leading them on.