Urgently need photos of riots last night

Guest jameshendicott

You have to be very careful believing what you hear. People - including [if not particularly] crew - are big fans of exaggerating everything. For instance a lot of the crew that worked for me came up and asked me if it was true that two people had died on site, it was not but thats what security had been saying.

Roumers spread through crew camping like wild fire and people love to tell the best storys. Same as the posts you read on here "I heard this" "I heard that" generally rubbish. Even the ones that people have seen are normally massively exaggerated and misunderstood, most people were trashed which dosen't help and even if they weren't they wont ever know the full story.

We had a lot more support than were used to this year in the campsite and it worked well. Like I say give it 5 years and the 'tradition' will be dead.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riot, not a riot... the issue's really not what it's called, though I'd be interested to see how you'd sum it up.... Are you honestly saying the majority reaction to how the night was is wrong? I mean, I'm not saying the majority is always right, but why else would people react like this? See numerous threads along the lines of 'I'm not going again', or 'this happened to me'. I dont believe crime figures represent well what happened (the security seemed more concerned with avoiding injuries and fire spread than dealing with the culprits to me, and rightly so), though of course you're welcome to disagree. I'm not stating myself as some kind of definitive judge, I'm just personally of the opinion that it was horrendous. Any take on it is subjective.

It's irrelevent anyway (those who are worrying about a story 'misrepresenting' Reading - check my site in the sig. if you like, I dont deal in sensationalist journalism and never will), as I couldnt get quality photos quickly enough for a newspaper, which needs to run the story next day.

Edit: of course, the crime figures for previous years are probably similarly altered by other priorities, just saying I think they're laughably low.

On the five year thing, I hate to say I doubt it, but.... well, I doubt it. But I really, really hope you're right. I'll be writing about it anyway, though I'll make a point of mentioning that the stories are probably exaggerated etc. I'd had one or two, but I certainly wasnt trashed, and just what I saw is more than enough to base a first hand article on.

I wasn't camping @ Reading but I stayed up all night last night to take pictures and get video.

The riots were happening, I saw the mobs of kids stomping round the site shouting "let's f*ck up purple" "we need more shit to burn" "angry mob" etc etc. People had their tents burnt around them and many lost tents with all of their stuff in. It was like a war zone! Reading Festival this year was simply a reinactment of the football violence the other day, the football chanting added to the atmosphere making it really quite intimidating.

When the riot police walked past a group of young teens started shouting "Who are ya, who are ya!" to which I responded by going straight up to the teens and yelling in their faces "WELL WHO THE F*CK ARE YOU THEN!". They didn't make another peep.

The majority weren't chavs, they were regular kids there to "riot for a laugh", they were all egged on by each other and each was trying to outdo the person before them.

I heard about abduction, rape (including man on man rape), assault, saw thousands of people with injuries including some really horrific burns. These kids were out of control & if they're not careful surely are going to be the reason Reading gets cancelled.

Wish I'd got more video but as I was on my own for parts of the night decided to try & keep a bit low key.

Will post the video as soon as I've got it formatted, pics are here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyjenni/38735...57622142845654/.

Sounds same as ever then - I'm not surprised most sensible people don't camp on Sunday, and it was scenes like this nearly five years ago now that made our decision to not camp and stay in a hotel instead.

The problem Reading has is that because they never got a grip of the problem back then, it's now endemic. Festival goers of a certain age expect this on Sunday now - and to be honest I can see no way Reading can prevent it - without a lot of arrests which would I suspect jeopardise the festival licence and make the festival look bad.

From my point of view having been going to Reading since 1978 on and off - it was not as bad as it has been in the past. That's no consolation for those involved - but all I can suggest is that you don't camp on Sunday night and leave them to it.

The problem Reading has is that because they never got a grip of the problem back then, it's now endemic. Festival goers of a certain age expect this on Sunday now - and to be honest I can see no way Reading can prevent it - without a lot of arrests which would I suspect jeopardise the festival licence and make the festival look bad.

The festivals need a heavy police presence on the Sunday night. The fear of being arrested will stop people, no questions about that. Policing will be expensive, but Festival Republic are making an absolute mint, especially now as they've teamed up with Viagogo.

If they posted on the main websites that police will be present and any offenders will be arrested, this will deter people.

Edited by Dropkick Murphy

There were a few cannisters thrown on and a few flares went up, but most of it near me had died down by 3am, I went to sleep at 4 and slept till morning without being disturbed.. think I was in B2, can't remember though.. its easy enough to stay out of the trouble and have an enjoyable weekend..

There were a few cannisters thrown on and a few flares went up, but most of it near me had died down by 3am, I went to sleep at 4 and slept till morning without being disturbed.. think I was in B2, can't remember though.. its easy enough to stay out of the trouble and have an enjoyable weekend..

The only way to stop it, is for a larger group of people to stop them. Loads of people seem to be against the trouble makers/rioters, but nobody does anything about it.

Obviously nobody is gonna do it on their own, but something has to happen.

We were in yellow camp and you could tell the w*nkers next to us were going to kick off, so we moved to orange camp on the Sunday night and it was great there.

I just don't understand the mindset of people wanting to act that way and ruin things for others and put others in serious danger. It's not a normal mindset is it, maybe they were touched as children and need some special help.

If anyone does die, it'll hopefully be one of them and not someone who just goes to the festival to enjoy bands and have a laugh with mates.

I'll say it before and i'll say it again, I honestly hope some of them got home to bad news about one of their loved ones. I genuinely do.

I mean, was I brought up differently to these people or what? I'm working class and some of us assume they are middle-class student w*nkers, so surely their parents must have brought them up in some way?

If I go next year it's gonna be in a B&B because I just haven't got the patience anymore.

I was camped on the Y2 path and got to witness a lot of the proceedings in Yellow. People were grabbing the nearest tents and shoving them into the fire. Some were loaded with belongings, it was quite shocking.

An unnoted downside to it all was it distracted the police from dealing with anything else. Some people camped across the path were chucking bottles of piss at people. I saw one bottle land on a girl's head and another in some guy's face. When we tried telling a policewoman about it she turned around and shoved my friend telling him they didn't have the time for it.

But amidst all this I do have a funny story to tell. During one of the fires people were jumping across the flames. One idiot decided to try it but tripped and his arms landed in the flames.

If anyone does die, it'll hopefully be one of them and not someone who just goes to the festival to enjoy bands and have a laugh with mates.

I'll say it before and i'll say it again, I honestly hope some of them got home to bad news about one of their loved ones. I genuinely do.

I mean, was I brought up differently to these people or what? I'm working class and some of us assume they are middle-class student w*nkers, so surely their parents must have brought them up in some way?

If I go next year it's gonna be in a B&B because I just haven't got the patience anymore.

I have just been reading this and other forums on the subjects of fires on Sunday night at Reading. I actually saw some little twats pushing a quad bike onto a fire... Too be honest I thought I must be so pissed I was seeing things but i've just been watching the videos on youtube and someone else on there mentioned it wtf??? This was my tenth Reading and I was lucky enough to not be camped anywhere near any of the fires on Sunday night but just some of the horror stories are shocking, why do these little idiots who have clearly just got their gcse's feel it necessary to create carnage and ruin other peoples weekend? I would be gutted if the festival was cancelled for this reason but something has to be done, maybe up the age limit or anyone under the age of 18 has to be accompanied by a parent? That would wipe the smile of their immature little faces? For the record I spoke to loads of people wandering around the festival that night including people who were camping in the gates by the entrance to the arena cause they'd had theur stuff burnt and everyone was still remarkably good natured and adamant they'd enjoyed the festival anyway...

But amidst all this I do have a funny story to tell. During one of the fires people were jumping across the flames. One idiot decided to try it but tripped and his arms landed in the flames.
Edited by getupkid83

How to stop this from happening in the future?

Step 2: More entertainment after hours. Silent disco is great but reaches capacity far too quickly. Things in the past like the pillow fight - but move it to the Sunday night it'll distract from causing trouble and who cares about ruining your pillow on the Sunday! Keep the alternative stage open later than 7pm on the Sunday!! Put things like punk rock karaoke in there, or other acts like Dirty Sanchez a few years back....

We have a "quiet" campsite.

So why not a "loud" one?

Let the people who want to go crazy all night camp in the same field or section, largely leave them to their own devices, and be a lot stricter in other parts of the site. Those who want to have a good time on Sunday without fearing for their personal safety can do so, those who find that a bit mundane will pretty much be able to run riot.