Urgently need photos of riots last night

Guest jameshendicott

For potential newspaper article. IF it's published I'll pay you for them, and get you a credit in a national newspaper. If not they'll never see the light of day, so it's a no lose (except you'll have to take 30 secs to send them...). One thing: I need them right now... If you have any passably decent shots (not bands, please, only the fires, trouble etc...), please send ASAP (will have to be in the next hour or two max.) to jameshendicott <at> yahoo.com

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For potential newspaper article. IF it's published I'll pay you for them, and get you a credit in a national newspaper. If not they'll never see the light of day, so it's a no lose (except you'll have to take 30 secs to send them...). One thing: I need them right now... If you have any passably decent shots (not bands, please, only the fires, trouble etc...), please send ASAP (will have to be in the next hour or two max.) to jameshendicott <at> yahoo.com

What a chancer.

The ugly side of Reading should be left to rot in the imaginations of those who were there. It's not a riot. It's kids away from home for the first time getting away with stuff they wouldn't normally do to Mummy and Daddy's property. A riot has a point to it. If a large gathering of teenagers burn stuff on a Sunday night in a town centre, it's vandalism. If they do it at Reading, it's 'a riot'.

All your going to do by putting pictures out there is reinforce the idea that this behavior is what you go to Reading to do. NOT something you do after a few drinks on a whim, but actually GO with the intention of being destructive on Sunday night.

Articles like this are the only going to encourage more people to riot, as it becomes the more accepted standard of what happens. Maybe some kids won't be allowed to go until they're 16 or something though.

Security had last night on lock down for the most part anyway, I slept through most of it though.

For those who think it's 'just a bit of fun', here's some things to think about next time:

- Reading nearly lost its license a few years back because of this kind of stuff. If it keeps going, the festival could die out.

- Every bit of damage is an increased price for the next year. It all has to be paid for from your tickets

- Reading locals go against the festival because of the reputation this kind of stuff gives it. They have a big say in whether it happens or not

I'm all for a bit of fun, and I'll drink and party as much as the next man. I'm just sick of 16 year old kids who think 'fun' is blowing up gas canisters on large fires, especially after seeing someone take a slab of canister metal in the face last night, and acting in a way that meant a girl I was staying with will be driving home today on no sleep as she was too scared to go ot bed in case something happened ot her tent, despite having friend sat outside.

And yes, I want to publicise it, for all these reasons, and to try and save a festival I used to love. I'd love to know the 'good reason' for keeping it quiet?

I won't be camping there again because of this. I left after Radiohead to avoid it as you could tell by the noise on saturday and the pile people were building of chairs and tents in yellow this would be happening. I appreciate what you are trying to do James. these people are wrecking a festival I once loved.

I wasn't camping @ Reading but I stayed up all night last night to take pictures and get video.

The riots were happening, I saw the mobs of kids stomping round the site shouting "let's f*ck up purple" "we need more shit to burn" "angry mob" etc etc. People had their tents burnt around them and many lost tents with all of their stuff in. It was like a war zone! Reading Festival this year was simply a reinactment of the football violence the other day, the football chanting added to the atmosphere making it really quite intimidating.

When the riot police walked past a group of young teens started shouting "Who are ya, who are ya!" to which I responded by going straight up to the teens and yelling in their faces "WELL WHO THE F*CK ARE YOU THEN!". They didn't make another peep.

The majority weren't chavs, they were regular kids there to "riot for a laugh", they were all egged on by each other and each was trying to outdo the person before them.

I heard about abduction, rape (including man on man rape), assault, saw thousands of people with injuries including some really horrific burns. These kids were out of control & if they're not careful surely are going to be the reason Reading gets cancelled.

Wish I'd got more video but as I was on my own for parts of the night decided to try & keep a bit low key.

Will post the video as soon as I've got it formatted, pics are here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyjenni/38735...57622142845654/.

I wasn't camping @ Reading but I stayed up all night last night to take pictures and get video.

The riots were happening, I saw the mobs of kids stomping round the site shouting "let's f*ck up purple" "we need more shit to burn" "angry mob" etc etc. People had their tents burnt around them and many lost tents with all of their stuff in. It was like a war zone! Reading Festival this year was simply a reinactment of the football violence the other day, the football chanting added to the atmosphere making it really quite intimidating.

When the riot police walked past a group of young teens started shouting "Who are ya, who are ya!" to which I responded by going straight up to the teens and yelling in their faces "WELL WHO THE F*CK ARE YOU THEN!". They didn't make another peep.

The majority weren't chavs, they were regular kids there to "riot for a laugh", they were all egged on by each other and each was trying to outdo the person before them.

I heard about abduction, rape (including man on man rape), assault, saw thousands of people with injuries including some really horrific burns. These kids were out of control & if they're not careful surely are going to be the reason Reading gets cancelled.

Wish I'd got more video but as I was on my own for parts of the night decided to try & keep a bit low key.

Will post the video as soon as I've got it formatted, pics are here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyjenni/38735...57622142845654/.

Edited by jameshendicott

Woah.

I had my first festival experience at V this year and thought it was really good, after seeing the Reading on BBC I thought that it might be good for next year.

However, I'm starting to have some doubts having read the previous threads as it seems to draw a really bad crowd....

Is the "rioting" an annual occurence? Is it only at certain campsites? (i.e the ones close to the performance areas?)

Your responses are much appreciated

The sunday night goings on are why I do not think I will camp again at reading. The attitudes of some people are just beyond belief, you ask them why and tell them to stop being an idiot and they always reply with ''ITS READING'' ''CHEER UP YOU LOSER, ITS A LAUGH''

pathetic young children.

Woah.

I had my first festival experience at V this year and thought it was really good, after seeing the Reading on BBC I thought that it might be good for next year.

However, I'm starting to have some doubts having read the previous threads as it seems to draw a really bad crowd....

Is the "rioting" an annual occurence? Is it only at certain campsites? (i.e the ones close to the performance areas?)

Your responses are much appreciated

I hope so - if I wasn't wearing a hat last night, I would've had pieces of melted tent burned into my scalp. Now, to be honest I was by a fire which the people around were controlling. I know it's not allowed, but still...they were throwing their own tents etc on the fire, stuff they weren't planning to take home. It was quite nice having a bonfire like that. People were prepared with water and everything just in case, it was a real eye opener.

But then, along came the idiots. Glass bottles, full cans of lager/cider (sprayed out and burned one guy) and obviously something which made one of the tents explode. I dread to think what my head would look like now without my hat. I was lucky. Will not be spending any time around those fires next year.

Edited by tomisnothere

i am sorry but ANYONE who thinks its cool to burn tents etc are f**king morons IMO.

Green site last night was like a war zone, its not acceptable behaviour in any other public place so why is it a festival? i am amazed no-one got seriously hurt. and there were idiots still at it this morning when people were packing up to go home, fires were raging and little idiots running around with metal poles smashing the shit out of anything they could.

Security did the best they could be they were clearly struggling. i like Reading BUT this sort of thing is something i will keep in mind for planning next years festivals, too many twats ruining it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, not everyone wants their stuff burned or trashed, grow up you utter morons that were involved or f**k off somewhere else.....

rant over, i had a great weekend all that aside :-)

I hope so - if I wasn't wearing a hat last night, I would've had pieces of melted tent burned into my scalp. Now, to be honest I was by a fire which the people around were controlling. I know it's not allowed, but still...they were throwing their own tents etc on the fire, stuff they weren't planning to take home. It was quite nice having a bonfire like that. People were prepared with water and everything just in case, it was a real eye opener.

But then, along came the idiots. Glass bottles, full cans of lager/cider (sprayed out and burned one guy) and obviously something which made one of the tents explode. I dread to think what my head would look like now without my hat. I was lucky. Will not be spending any time around those fires next year.

Still something nobody has ever given me a reason for. Having left a festival campsite this morning in a disgraceful mess with lots of people just leaving their tents, chairs, gazebos abandoned. Why? What a disgrace, the throwaway society at festivals. Why not use it again, next year, and the year after. It's more economical, better for the environment and makes the clean-up much easier for the organisers (therefore reducing the increase in ticket prices).

No excuses, if you participate in this nonsense you do not deserve to go to a festival.

I get what you're saying, but if they were leaving it there anyway then it doesn't make much difference. Contrary to what everyone seems to believe, not all of the tents are taken to charity. Several are just binned! The main reason is fairly obvious by the way - people just can't be bothered. Most have hangovers and are tired, so they just leave it be.

I don't participate in it, I never stated that I did. I just went to stand around it, it was a nice atmosphere for a while.

Edited by tomisnothere

Still something nobody has ever given me a reason for. Having left a festival campsite this morning in a disgraceful mess with lots of people just leaving their tents, chairs, gazebos abandoned. Why? What a disgrace, the throwaway society at festivals. Why not use it again, next year, and the year after. It's more economical, better for the environment and makes the clean-up much easier for the organisers (therefore reducing the increase in ticket prices).

No excuses, if you participate in this nonsense you do not deserve to go to a festival.

A lot of festivals have an ethos that the attendees respect. Stuff like this just wouldnt happen at Glastonbury, for example. I'm not even sure Reading could conceivably take on any kind of green, or charitable ethos (even its attempts to do so through the pay for returning beer cups scheme is just exploited by idiot children, who fight over the cups to make money), it's just too corporate. But maybe that's what they need.

Sorry you have to endure that kind of crap, i am sure you guys are there for a laugh the same and me and the other decent folk that go.

FWIW i thought the stewarding was very good, especially what you had to put up with on the campsites last night. Just a shame it was obvious you guys were doing your best but struggling and clearly there weren't enough folks around to help you deal with the idiots burning stuff and rampaging about as if it perfectly normal acceptable behaviour.

Edited by Explosions_In_The_Sky