this festival is awful

Guest Jackmypie

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU PEOPLE!

the carnage and destruction is what makes reading so f**king amazing!

obviously in controlled doses. angry mob and toilet destruction is too far. but trolley jousting and "bollocks" your not gunna get that at glasto. at glasto youll sooner see a 43 year old mother of 4 dancing in the mud wearing rags to florence and the machine.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously in controlled doses. angry mob and toilet destruction is too far. but trolley jousting and "bollocks" your not gunna get that at glasto. at glasto youll sooner see a 43 year old mother of 4 dancing in the mud wearing rags to florence and the machine.

i think i'll go to my first glastonbury next year.

the reason for this is because it looks immense on the tv, everyone who goes enjoys it and they often get headliners that reading/leeds would never get (still can barely believe radiohead are playing this year though!). they also have a lot of unfashionable acts that R&L wouldn't dream of having (ray davies, badly drawn boy etc) which i would love to see (not really into faddy bands......R&L have some really good new bands, but a lot of faddy topshop bands).

saying that i will still go to leeds. from what i gather you can't plan intensively watching bands at glastonbury. you have to pick a few you really want to see and then chill and take everything in for the rest of it. at leeds i plan the bands i see to the last detail. i look up every single band before i go. when the timetable is released i will then write down who i see and when. if there is a gap, i get some food or get a beer and watch the introducing stage or wander into the comedy tent. you get to see about 30 odd bands i would have thought over the weekend. some may find this hard work and prefer to chill a bit more but i don't find watching music or comedy hard work! this may sound geeky to some people but i'm sure a lot of people on this forum do exactly the same thing!!

i don't think it is true that if you prefer leeds/reading you are more into superficial bollocks.

the main reason that people have said they prefer R&L is that they see more of the bands they like.

you're a clown.

robx

Broad generalisation alert: Glasto is a festival for middle aged people, R&L is a festival for the youth of today

I think I need to go to some mainland European festivals where you get a broad range of music (yes Glasto has a somewhat broad range but doesn't, from what I understand, cater for my hunger for punk and metal).

Werchter seems to get awesome lineups every year, for 4 days of music you pay c.£150 with train travel included. So get the eurostar to brussels, £59 return, and then leave this argument behind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Werchter#2009

Broad generalisation alert: Glasto is a festival for middle aged people, R&L is a festival for the youth of today

I think I need to go to some mainland European festivals where you get a broad range of music (yes Glasto has a somewhat broad range but doesn't, from what I understand, cater for my hunger for punk and metal).

Werchter seems to get awesome lineups every year, for 4 days of music you pay c.£150 with train travel included. So get the eurostar to brussels, £59 return, and then leave this argument behind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Werchter#2009

Haha! what a funny thread, nice one troll! :lol:

As you can see from my thread Ive been to quite a few Reading festivals, but Ive not camped the last 3-4 years since I moved to Reading, I just go home every night! ;)

As for which is better, personally I now prefer glastonbury for the sheer variety of music on show and the much more relaxed atmosphere onsite (being able to wander about everywhere with your own beer instead of an arena at reading for one). Im not gonna go into anything more.

Glastonbury is now the festival that I know I will be attending every year. but Reading maybe not (creamfields this year for example). The only reason really why I still go is that I live here and its a no-brainer.

haha, i've never seen more of a fashion show than any of the times ive been to reading! i can even remember one boy camped near us who had battery powered hair straighteners! he was a knob.

and to be fair, the diversity of the acts that play glasto and the crowds they draw, when compared to reading (if youre not currently in nme youre not playing) means the average glasto goer probably knows a lot more about music than the avergge reading goer sorry. so the people you know are probably in the minority im afraid

glasto's better because theres so much more to it than being herded into an arena and listening to (mainly) flavour of the month bands. you can see acts you'd never usually go see, theres so much cool random stuff like the stone circle, hippie fields, arcadia/trash city.....plus it has stuff actually going on when the bands finish so you dont have to push each other around in a trolley like imbeciles

dont get me wrong i loved reading when i used to go, but that was when i was 16-19 and hadnt been to glasto yet. i wouldnt say it's awful, but essentially its just a bit juvenile and one dimensional. but you'll all grow out of going, everyone does

Surely that will depend on the music people listen to and the line ups themselves.

I've been to Reading for years and i choose to go because the line up is generally more enjoyable for me, i wouldn't really go Glasto because from the line ups over the last few years you don't get the bands i want to see, i can't ever see RAGE playing Glasto.

As for growing out of it, surely that is on going to happen to Glasto as well after all once you make real money you will end up going on real holidays.

Glasto has it's pros as does Reading but i know that the music at reading will be better suited to my taste.

Plus i like trolley racing and generally goin a bit nuts.

It's certainly true that the line-ups are always a big appeal to a big number of attendees.

But against that, Reading has around 200 acts playing (all within narrow genres), while Glastonbury has over 1,000 (orf hugely diverse acts). If anyone can't find more than enough to entertain them in those 1,000+ acts, then they really do have limited tastes.

And Rage have played Glasto more than once.

It's certainly true that the line-ups are always a big appeal to a big number of attendees.

But against that, Reading has around 200 acts playing (all within narrow genres), while Glastonbury has over 1,000 (orf hugely diverse acts). If anyone can't find more than enough to entertain them in those 1,000+ acts, then they really do have limited tastes.

And Rage have played Glasto more than once.

[/quo

Can you tell me when RAGE played, i know they performed back in 94 but can't find them on the bill any other time.

Now as for having limited taste, the acts i want to see play Reading generally, the diversity of Glasto extends to more to POP acts, now i have no problem with this but just don't want to pay that much money for acts i don't really want to see.

Also i don't fancy a Mud bath.

i know plenty of perople who enjoy both and they agree that the acts found at Reading are generally more alternative although maybe not as diverse.

Opinions are mixed i suppose.

But RAGE defineniately wouldn't play Glasto now! I'll put money on it!