Ufc

just/john

• 2 weeks later...

Franklin v Henderson 2 at Light Heavyweight is the main event for UFC 103. Also, Mirko Cro Cop v Junior Dos Santos, Josh Koscheck v Frank Trigg, Mike Swick v Martin Kampmann to decide who is next to get obliterated by Georges St. Pierre, and Hermes Franca v Tyson Griffin. Should be a fun little show.

I still cant wait for the KIMBO season of TUF. Apparently, this is the best season since TUF 3 with Shamrock and Ortiz. Anything with Rampage is a winner. He was entertaning with Griffin and those two liked each other. Against Evans its just going to be hilarious. And KIMBO. Thats going to RULE.

I still cant wait for the KIMBO season of TUF. Apparently, this is the best season since TUF 3 with Shamrock and Ortiz. Anything with Rampage is a winner. He was entertaning with Griffin and those two liked each other. Against Evans its just going to be hilarious. And KIMBO. Thats going to RULE.

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out here.

Im looking at going to vegas next year and was thinking of taking in some UFC while im there. Do you guys know how far in advance the events are scheduled? How often they are held in vegas? any websites I can take a look at for dates, tickets etc?

any info would be great. cheers.

Im looking at going to vegas next year and was thinking of taking in some UFC while im there. Do you guys know how far in advance the events are scheduled? How often they are held in vegas? any websites I can take a look at for dates, tickets etc?

They run Vegas about six times a year. Shows are announced about six months in advance I guess. Wiki is good for dates.

As Liam said... wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

I'm thinking of going to the F4W convention next year Phil. This Brazilian Steak House sounds like a laugh, and the opportunity to drink heavily and go to a strip club with Vinny, as well as the chance to get pissed with Dr. Keith again is something that should not be pissed.

Yeah i'm really into MMA and UFC in general.

I'm gradually buying all of the shows on DVD, at the moment I've watched up until UFC 28. Obviously I watch the newer ones too but I'm going through them all.

Was disappointed to see Michael Bisping get knocked out by Dan Henderson the other week. Also, I thought Henderson's second blow was totally out of order.

might want to skip ufc 33

I remember watching the first three shows many years ago when they had just come out on video, it's amazing watching through each show at how much it has changed.

On UFC 28 now, with the debuts of Arlovski, Barnett and Sobral.

It still annoys me that some people still don't seem to grasp that MMA is a legitamate sport, some people even compare it to pro-wrestling.

And also the people who still see it as barbaric, when it's actually safer than boxing.

I remember watching the first three shows many years ago when they had just come out on video, it's amazing watching through each show at how much it has changed.

On UFC 28 now, with the debuts of Arlovski, Barnett and Sobral.

It still annoys me that some people still don't seem to grasp that MMA is a legitamate sport, some people even compare it to pro-wrestling.

And also the people who still see it as barbaric, when it's actually safer than boxing.

Its very similar to pro wrestling. The only difference is that the actual fights are not pre determined. MMA (not just UFC) clearly books storylines to sell fights. And be under no illusion, this is what sells fights. Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock smashed gate and TV records, even though everyone knew that Shamrock was well past his prime, Ortiz wasnt the best Light Heavyweight in the world and that Ortiz was winning quite handily. BUt it didnt matter, these two (with a very real dislike of each other) cut promos on each other in a pro wrestling style. There is usually a clear good guy and a clear bad guy. Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbott had one of the most watched fights off all time last year. Not because they were the two best heavyweights in the world, (FAR from it). But because Kimbo was a street fighter who had "gone legit to feed his family" and Tank Abbott was the illiusion of what a fighter is. Some big fat guy with a beard. And they cut all these promos, did a bunch of interviews and millions of people loved it. It wasnt a fight for a title, it was two scary mother f**kers having what was in effect, a no skills street fight. In fact, it was billed as a street fight. A PRO WRESTLING STIPULATION in a MMA fight. Fighters cut promos one each other to sell fights. UFC has an authority figure and a commissioner. Its all very pro wrestling.

People need to understand that MMA as sport has failed and will fail. Said it before, and i'll say it again, the IFL was MMA as Sport and the IFL IS DEAD. EliteXC is dead partly because they're superstar Kimbo was beaten in eleven seconds by a no name UFC reject in Seth Petruzelli. People want to see stars. Thats why Lesnar v Mir will be the biggest PPV this year, and why a card featuring the best heavyweight in the world in Fedor has been cancelled and the company stop promoting MMA. Its the same with boxing. Lennox Lewis v Mike Tyson smashed records, even though everyone knew Lewis was easily beating him. They cut promos, and hell, even worked an angle (the whole press conference shoving match).

Storylines: The most obvious one goes back to UFC 81 and the first Lesnar v Mir fight. This was in effect, an invasion Storyline. This guy from WWE is coming the UFC to fight one of "our" guys. They had a ton of footage from Brock in Japan and WWE, they had wrestlers in the front row, Brock and Frank cut some pretty amazing promos. UFC 66. You had the whole heroic babyface in Chuck Liddell, who will fight anyone, and the cowardly heel Tito Ortiz ducking the fight. UFC 68. The valiant, beloved ex champion Randy Couture coming out of retirement to face the massive, hated champ Tim Sylvia. This is not co incidence. All these fights were sold with a storyline.

MMA has a massive cross over audience with Pro wrestling. Much larger than the cross over with boxing. And thats because of the way its promoted. MMA, and in particular UFC, knows how to promote fights, get fighters over so that the public will pay money to watch them. And this is all taken from Pro Wrestling (or what pro wrestling used to be). Its very simple and very effective.

And this is just in the US. If you go and watch some Japanese MMA, that is basically real pro wrestling. Go and watch the preview to the Fedor v Cro Cop fight in 2005. Go and watch any Pride show with the entrances, interviews pyro etc.

Its very similar to pro wrestling. The only difference is that the actual fights are not pre determined. MMA (not just UFC) clearly books storylines to sell fights. And be under no illusion, this is what sells fights. Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock smashed gate and TV records, even though everyone knew that Shamrock was well past his prime, Ortiz wasnt the best Light Heavyweight in the world and that Ortiz was winning quite handily. BUt it didnt matter, these two (with a very real dislike of each other) cut promos on each other in a pro wrestling style. There is usually a clear good guy and a clear bad guy. Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbott had one of the most watched fights off all time last year. Not because they were the two best heavyweights in the world, (FAR from it). But because Kimbo was a street fighter who had "gone legit to feed his family" and Tank Abbott was the illiusion of what a fighter is. Some big fat guy with a beard. And they cut all these promos, did a bunch of interviews and millions of people loved it. It wasnt a fight for a title, it was two scary mother f**kers having what was in effect, a no skills street fight. In fact, it was billed as a street fight. A PRO WRESTLING STIPULATION in a MMA fight. Fighters cut promos one each other to sell fights. UFC has an authority figure and a commissioner. Its all very pro wrestling.

People need to understand that MMA as sport has failed and will fail. Said it before, and i'll say it again, the IFL was MMA as Sport and the IFL IS DEAD. EliteXC is dead partly because they're superstar Kimbo was beaten in eleven seconds by a no name UFC reject in Seth Petruzelli. People want to see stars. Thats why Lesnar v Mir will be the biggest PPV this year, and why a card featuring the best heavyweight in the world in Fedor has been cancelled and the company stop promoting MMA. Its the same with boxing. Lennox Lewis v Mike Tyson smashed records, even though everyone knew Lewis was easily beating him. They cut promos, and hell, even worked an angle (the whole press conference shoving match).

Storylines: The most obvious one goes back to UFC 81 and the first Lesnar v Mir fight. This was in effect, an invasion Storyline. This guy from WWE is coming the UFC to fight one of "our" guys. They had a ton of footage from Brock in Japan and WWE, they had wrestlers in the front row, Brock and Frank cut some pretty amazing promos. UFC 66. You had the whole heroic babyface in Chuck Liddell, who will fight anyone, and the cowardly heel Tito Ortiz ducking the fight. UFC 68. The valiant, beloved ex champion Randy Couture coming out of retirement to face the massive, hated champ Tim Sylvia. This is not co incidence. All these fights were sold with a storyline.

MMA has a massive cross over audience with Pro wrestling. Much larger than the cross over with boxing. And thats because of the way its promoted. MMA, and in particular UFC, knows how to promote fights, get fighters over so that the public will pay money to watch them. And this is all taken from Pro Wrestling (or what pro wrestling used to be). Its very simple and very effective.

And this is just in the US. If you go and watch some Japanese MMA, that is basically real pro wrestling. Go and watch the preview to the Fedor v Cro Cop fight in 2005. Go and watch any Pride show with the entrances, interviews pyro etc.

Oh I agree the hype and promos are similar to pro-wrestling, but then again it's the same in boxing sometimes. After the fight the fighters hug and make up and when asked about the negative feeling before the fight just say it's part of the pre-fight hype. You don't hug a guy you hate, regardless of if you've just had a professional fight. They're just professional sportsman trying to make as much money and interest out of their fight as possible, pushed on by the promoters, which is totally understandable and makes it more interesting for everyone watching.

What I meant is that some people are still genuinely unaware that MMA is not pre-determined, even tho you can go into the bookies and place money on the fights.

Shamrock-Ortiz was definitely pro-wrestling style hype, I totally agree. But it was embarassing to watch at times, especially during 'The Ultimate Fighter' when their standoffs were so false and pre-determined, it was ridiculous.

I don't even think they hate each other, but both knew that pushing the hate angle would get more people to watch Shamrock get beaten up.

I don't agree that MMA as a sport has failed and will fail, if anything it's bigger than ever. At the end of the day the casual MMA fan only knows or cares about the UFC and the UFC are doing well all over the world.

Storylines just make sense allround, it makes things more exciting if there is some kind of background built up to a fight rather than just having two guys in there fighting with no background story whatsoever.

But that's the same in pretty much any sport - boxing, football, tennis, rugby etc. It's barely even a pro-wrestling thing these days. You can't even watch a football match without there being some kind of "ooh these teams had issues last time round" style buildup.

I haven't got a problem with that at all, but some people just don't seem to grasp that MMA is a legit sport.

There's a UFC press conference on friday which may be announcing that they've signed Fedor, and that his first match will be with Brock. Interesting stuff... The actual press conference is confirmed, but the Fedor bit is from a source not with the ufc.

Personally, Brock vs Fedor is a massive match, and will do huge money for the company. It won't top Brock/Mir, but it'll be right up there. I'm not convinced the timings are quite right tho, not sure it works out. UFC102 in August is Couture vs Nog, the winner of which will get a championship match. So do you do Fedor vs Brock at Christmas and then, one would think, Couture sometime next year (May~!); or do you do Randy/Nog vs Brock in say Jan/Feb as a lead in to Fedor vs the Champion later in the middle of next year?

That's far too long to wait for Fedors first match, so the first option seems to be the most likely option; but does that do a disservice to Couture and Nog... make them fight for the chance, only to be bumped for the new guy? I guess Brock killing Fedor would make the following Brock vs Couture even bigger.

But putting Fedor in against Brock in his first match is a massive risk, and imo a lose lose situation for the ufc.... a Brock win makes him legit an even bigger star, but buries Fedor in his very first ufc match; whereas a Fedor win would mean Brock will lose all of his epic momentum in one clean sweep. Much better to let Fedor get at least one good ufc match under his belt, so that if Brock does lose, he doesn't loose to the random outsider coming in (although I guess that would have a form of poetic justice to it).

In fact, surely in a Brock vs Fedor match, Brock would be the babyface against the invading heel wouldn't he? Quite the turnaround!

So many options all of a sudden, but either way.... UFC are going to make an absolute crap ton of money over then next year.

Edited by Halcyon

Fedor is coming in sooner or later. I think that was always the case.

I imagine one of the terms of the contract is Fedor gets an immediate title shot. Dan Henderson came in and they did two title unification matches. And even if Fedor does win, (which I should think he will) you can always gets a huge money rematch.

More later when wake up.

Right, I think a lot of this depends on the outcome of the Couture v Nogeuira fight in a month.

I imagine that should Couture win impressively, he would get the December title shot at Brock. Couture v Lesnar 2 makes more sense in the short term, as the companys number 1 good guy against the number 1 bad guy should be interesting. Plus, there's always the little thing about Randy being the underdog and having never lost when he was. In Fedors first fight, you could stick him up against Big Nog in a Pride rematch. I think Big Nog is nearly done (sadly) so shouldnt be a problem for Fedor. Then they could do Fedor v Brock in May. Which would be amazing as I plan on going then!

Saying that, it depends on how often Randy wants to fight. He's 46 (~!) now, and admittedly in amazing shape for a guy that age, he's still closer to fifty than to forty. He's going to need longer recovery times, plus he's got a load of other stuff going on. I think three more fights and he'll be done, Big Nog, Lesnar and Fedor. But you never can tell with Randy. I wouldnt be surprised at the end of this he dropped down to Light Heavyweight to face Machida... and beat him.

The Manchester show is a Spike Special, which pretty much means no true headliner on it. I knew Bisping was going to headline but that puts a dampener on it for me, espeically ahter he was totally outclassed by Dan Henderson last time. Talk of having him face Wanderlie Silva, but I doubt it.

Marshall Zelaznik just posted it on Facebook

BIG NEWS: UFC is on ESPN in the UK... all events exclusively live starting with UFC 101.... ESPN launches Aug 3, when the existing ESPN America channel – 417 on Sky – will become the new channel... All Sky and Virgin customers can get ESPN... all UFC programming, including live fights, will also be on ESPN HD... even better, ESPN is FREE for all of August, meaning everyone can check out 101 and 102

Yay~!