"live instrument" bands v electronic/dance music bands

Guest ukslim

I think Prodigy do a fantastic show, the blend of technology and instruments works really well and Maxim and Keith do a fantastic job of pumping the crowd. I have no doubt that Liam is working his arse off in his bit of the stage and not just going through motions. Howlett is an incredibly skilled guy with a huge talent for making sounds into amazing tunes and his DJing skills are awesome on the Dirtchamber Sessions, wish he'd do another one!

Another act that hasn't been mentioned yet is Daft Punk. Like the Chems, they are just 'there' and you're not sure what they're actually doing, but the show they put on at Wireless a couple of years ago was a fantastic audio/visual assault on the senses.

As for electronic music vs live instruments, there's no comparison really, there is good and bad in every genre and I personally love a wide range of both kinds of music. I think after all these years that electronica has existed, it has certainly earned its place in music culture.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's certainly huge skill to producing an excellent programmed dance track, and I love a great dance track.

But 'live' (:lol:), so very many dance acts are doing absolutely nothing - they might as well have not bothered turning up in person, and just posted their CD to the stage. ;)

Unless wiped with recreationals, there's little to point to seeing such a band.

Edited by pedmills

But if there are terrific visuals then why should there need to be stuff going on stage? Watching an act is just about enjoying yourself, as long there is something decent playing and something decent to look at then what's the problem?

not a problem as such, but why waste money on booking the 'band'?

Spend a fraction of the money on some visuals and play the CD instead. :lol:

There's certainly huge skill to producing an excellent programmed dance track, and I love a great dance track.

But 'live' (:lol:), so very many dance acts are doing absolutely nothing - they might as well have not bothered turning up in person, and just posted their CD to the stage. ;)

Unless wiped with recreationals, there's little to point to seeing such a band.

As a musician myself, my /2p is that it takes just as long to master electronic music production and performance as it does any instrument...

I've been dabbling with both for 10 years now and they both have their pros and cons. The main difference to me is that a band is more visual in that you see more happening on stage. Whats important is that whether your playing acoustic or electronic instruments, that you do it well and the performance gets the crowd whipped up.

But what I don't get is, how that wouldn't be just as good if you put on a recording of Hey Girl Hey Boy, with the same lightshow and the same crowd, but without the two spods bouncing up and down behind mysterious equipment.
Edited by pedmills

This has just reminded me of another point I was going to make but forgot. I think a large part of a gig is being in the crowd as well as what's going on onstage. The communal enjoyment, the sharing and expressing their love of a certain type of music, with hundreds or even thousands of other people is a beautiful thing to be a part of.

nothing that can't be done to a CD then.

I'm not knocking electronic dance music - I love some of it. But the simple fact is that soooooo many acts simply walk on stage and press the 'on' switch, and that's the total sum of their live act from the musical angle.

And while I don't intend to get into arguments by naming names, some of what's said in the posts about certain bands in this thread are inventions of those posters (or bulshit they've read somewhere, whatever). I know for a fact that some of what is claimed in this thread for certain bands simply isn't true - they're *only* hitting that 'on' switch, and there's nothing more live to what they do aside from perhaps a little knob twiddling with volume/tone/effects.

I'm not knocking electronic dance music - I love some of it. But the simple fact is that soooooo many acts simply walk on stage and press the 'on' switch, and that's the total sum of their live act from the musical angle.

And while I don't intend to get into arguments by naming names, some of what's said in the posts about certain bands in this thread are inventions of those posters (or bulshit they've read somewhere, whatever). I know for a fact that some of what is claimed in this thread for certain bands simply isn't true - they're *only* hitting that 'on' switch, and there's nothing more live to what they do aside from perhaps a little knob twiddling with volume/tone/effects.

ANYWAY that doesnt take anything away from the show and the enjoyment of the people watching it. Thats a problem for the festivals if anything.

no, it doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment, but similarly, why bother to go see that act when you could get the same at home from the CD. At somewhere like Glasto, perhaps instead go see something that you couldn't get identically at home?

I'd say that any problem was actually with the people going to see that act - would the same numbers turn up if they were told they were getting identical music from a CD? Not many would. :lol:

Nothing that can't be done with a really good cover band either! I don't see the big difference between a band pressing an 'on' switch to something pre-recorded.. which is only true of certain bands as you've said.. and a band replicating a song they've played thousands of times in a practice room/other venues.

because it's simply impossible for a human to do anything in 100% the same manner twice - the same doesn't apply with a machine.

no, it doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment, but similarly, why bother to go see that act when you could get the same at home from the CD. At somewhere like Glasto, perhaps instead go see something that you couldn't get identically at home?

I'd say that any problem was actually with the people going to see that act - would the same numbers turn up if they were told they were getting identical music from a CD? Not many would. :lol:

Cuts both ways really - a fair few gutar bands around lacking in the stage-presence department (Kings of Leon anyone?) And I daresay some button twiddlers are improv-ing more than it's possible to see from the crowd (I like to think anyway!)

(I heart KoL's music btw)