Bestival - been before?

Guest DaveMere

Looking for a new festival this year and thinking of attending Bestival. Any of you guys been before and can tell me a bit about it?

The line up looks cracking, but I'm looking for a festival that's got more than just tunes. What's the after party like in Bestival? I'm not that down with the V or Reading model where you have a compound during the day, then are shephereded back to the camp sites. Is there other stuff going on in Bestival aside from the music?

What's the vibe like there generally? Chilled out or frantic?

What's security like? Easy going or arses?

Any Bestival veterens want to give me the low down?

I've been to every Bestival, minus last year (felt the rain coming in my bones) and it's a great festival.

It has steadily grown each year (in 2004 there was about 5,000 on site but that had increased to 30,000 by last year) and has seen more stages/tents added each year. Sometimes it has felt like the design of the site has struggled to cope with the increase in numbers, the (outdoor) main stage previously being at one end of the site's valley with only 2 entrances into and out of the field. But apparently the main stage is being moved this year so that should free up the space nicely.

Lots of tents around with DJ's/live acts/comedy, the Bollywood Basr being the most establised place to drink cocktails and have a boogie. Along with the main stage most live acts play in the Big Top. The variety of music on offer is great, from some wonderful folky stuff up at the Bandstand area, through to dubstep, indie, hip-hop and nosebleed techno around the site.

The vibe is pretty full on, it's the now traditional end to festival season (give or take an End Of The Road) and everyone seems in party mood. Cambridge Folk Festival is aint...

Saturday is nominally fancy dress day where nearly the whole crowd gets involved, but you'll see masses of people dressed all weekend. I personally find this a little grating, it can seem a little like Shoreditch Gone Bonkers at times. But that's probably more due to me being a miserable old c**t than anything else, so don't take my word for it.

The Robin Hill site is lovely. It's a family day out-type park, with lots of woods, adventure playgrounds, toboggan runs (hurrah!) to explore. Plenty of little nooks and crannys to get lost in until dawn. The music on the main stage finishes at midnight but you'll find many bars and tents that go on til 4am or beyond, no being chased off to bed at 11pm here, thank the lord.

Security are OK, same as any festival I guess. You'll get some bad eggs that are arseholes but on the whole they're not in your face. You'll more thank likely be met some IOW police (often with dogs) on your way into the site, usual precautions and everyone seems to get on fine.

Edited by hoils

I've never been to Bestival before but I'm going this year, and really looking forward to it. The line-up attracted me first and foremost, but I've always heard that it's a good vibe and the polar opposite to Reanding & Leeds and V. I also really like Rob Da Banks Radio1 show, if I can stay away, so that gave me confidance that it could be a good mix of different music that I'd probably enjoy and never heard before.

Since booking tickets, I'm really looking forward to it, allthough I have read someone on this forum that they have drinking/booze policies that seem pretty similar to the likes of V/Reading & Leeds etc. I guess no festival is going to be perfect though!

Since booking tickets, I'm really looking forward to it, allthough I have read someone on this forum that they have drinking/booze policies that seem pretty similar to the likes of V/Reading & Leeds etc. I guess no festival is going to be perfect though!

Very few festivals in the UK (apart from Glasto obv) are able to have the no arena policy.

IME it's only Beautiful Days and Shambala of the big(ish) festivals that allow you to wander freely (please correct my ignorance if there's any other mid-sized festivals that have the same policy). Speaking from a Bestival point of view, I'm sure if RDB could anyway get the licensing conditions to allow us to bring in our own booze into the arena I'm sure he would. Amongst the Power's

and Giddings of this world RDB seems a pretty sorted chap.

This will be my 4th Bestival, it's always awesome! Many great new bands are always showcased every year! There's lots to do if you know where to look :blink: (Secret disco anyone?)

There's a massive wood which houses amoungst other things, a giant village in the trees and a really big maze which is most fun by night! There's also a tiny tiny village with tiny tiny houses you can squat and have parties in! A few late night venues and a small cinema tent too!

Waaaaaaaaaay too much to mention, plus it's all being moved around this year, so who knows what will be where!

You'll have fun! You couldn't not!

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Bestival twice and never had probs taking booze in. As long as you're not swigging on the way in they rarely search you.

It's defintely more at the Glasto end of things than V with plenty of late night action and randomness.

I've been twice and had a good time but having said that, feel like I've been and done it and can't be bothered with the hassle/expense of getting over there again (and I live in Bristol so am comparatively close).

• 1 month later...