First Time there, and a bit intimidated

Guest dominicokey

1) Ordered a ticket that includes:

Weekend camping and Big Green Coach from Derby

On the Coach website it talks about "ID being presented" Why is this necessary, surely my ticket will

suffice ? And if I do have to present ID, I am myself under 18, does that make a difference?

2) What time do these Coaches usually leave?

3) Which campsite is the best for complete newcomers with a 2-3 man tent ?

4) Spending money?

5) What to take in with you besides your wallet and tent ?

Any answers from experience will really help ?

The ID will be required to prove who you are (say if someone had stolen your coach ticket or something).

Campsite wise I'd recommend Green or Gold most likely (though there will be a forum camp in orange).

Spending wise I'd say maybe £200 to be on the safe side. You should be able to get lockers this year so get one and keep most in there and just take out what you need as and when.

Other than a tent, take welleys (unless it's really hot), airbed, sleeping bag, cooking utensils, maybe something small to cook food, stuff like pasta, pot noodles, take some meat in a cool box/bag with ice and fry/bbq it. A trolley of some sort can be a great diea, suncream, bin bags. I made a list ages ago and I'll try and dig it out later.

Just saying Hi!

I'm a newbie too so thanks for asking more questions i hadn't even thought of! I'm on the coach too and a bit in the dark about the specifics, presume they will be in touch nearer the time (?) Where are you picking it up from? We picked Chester as its quite easy for us to get to.

I think we will try and get near as to the efest camp, if we have an option (again not sure!)

Welcome anyway and we'll work it all out between us!

Cheers

Helen

PS You can get lockers this year, they are £15

dom you will be fine mate, don't panic it this is going to be fun. As an alternative to wellies if you have some decent waterproof hiking boots these are a hell of a lot more comfy.

If you like cereal bars take them but don't take a shed load of chocolate as it will melt (if we get the sun). Have a decent change of clothes you keep dry for the ride home as if its wet you will be miserable if you have to put wet kit back on. If it looks wet individually back things like clothes, etc... in either a decent waterproof liner or some cheap plastic bags at a push. As a rule get a light waterproof jacket and trousers (like the jacket in a bag range) as if its warm and wet an arctic coat is heavy and crap. Also take a fleece as cold wet nights are a drag, if you don't wear it then its a great pillow! Recommend a foam rollmat at the least, I spent time in the forces so I'm used to it but some people can't live without an airbed.

Take a torch as an essential as although there are lights you don't want to be too near them and searching for your toothbrush at 2am in the dark is cack.

Oh and a 2 / 3 man tent is for 2 people, if you stick 3 people and their kit in it you will end up hating each other.

Edited by staffsknot

weston had mud? I did the fri/sat in white plimsoles :blink:

Bekimo you never heard of zippits? They are zips you lace into your boots. I was at Weston and had no problems, but then I have done it with laces too as I don't mind. Wellies can come off in deep mud when laced boots wouldn't. If you can't find zippits then gaitors or something similar will do the job.

A V newbie myself, but I will use some knowledge I've picked up from years of camping w/ scouts etc.

Windproof coats are a godsend especially when sat still at a campsite and the temperature drops, it can mighty cool, even in summer! I going to look an absolute cock in my sealed WW cag, but it'll keep me toasty :(

Take plenty of sunscreen - sunburn/heatstroke is a real danger, even if the sun isn't out. BUT keep it away from the main body of your bag, I've had it all over my camping stuff and it's not nice at all. :angry:

But most of all, HAVE FUN!

• 2 weeks later...

Take some wellies, which are vital.

A tent.

A sleeping bag.

Plenty of clothes because you can't guess the weather.

About £200 cash...and a card just incase, Stafford isn't that far if you need a cash machine but there's one in the arena anyway.

This is the most vital thing to take...a minimum of 2 crates of lager :) Oh yes. (I'm being serious, scandalous prices in there.)

Don't take too much alcohol because if you camp in Green it's a hell of a ong way from the Arena so you don't really want to be nipping back tot he tent to have another can or 2.

Yes alcohol in the arena is expensive, but that's why you're taking £200. Eating's cheating, it just uses up alcohol money.

Don't take too much alcohol because if you camp in Green it's a hell of a ong way from the Arena so you don't really want to be nipping back tot he tent to have another can or 2.

Yes alcohol in the arena is expensive, but that's why you're taking £200. Eating's cheating, it just uses up alcohol money.

On the Coach website it talks about "ID being presented" Why is this necessary, surely my ticket will

suffice ? And if I do have to present ID, I am myself under 18, does that make a difference?

4) Spending money?

4) Spending money?

Good hiking boots are fine if you've got some, if you're buying from scratch i'd say get wellies. Spend £15-£20 at a garden centre, some good socks and comfort won't be an issue! (obv this all depends on the forecast but if theres even a small chance of rain dont leave without the wellies and waterproofs)

I don't really have a preference for campsites, just get 1 thats not too far from the arena. Shouldn't make a difference what size your tent is or if you've been to V before or not. The real skill is where to pitch your tent! You need optimum distance from the toilets and from the fire lanes. Too close/far from either and you'll get annoyed.

£200 spending money is about right.

Each to their own but i wouldn't suggest taking fresh food. Take facilities to boil water and you can live off pot noodles, soups, boil in the bag meals stuff like that. I always try and just have the one bought meal during each day, then i just snack/pot noodle for the rest of the day.

What else to take......cheap camera, camping chair (£7 from asda/tesco), stove and kettle, torch.....everything else is just ure camping gear, clothes and alcohol. You really don't need too much stuff!