"restrictions on mass gatherings"

Guest Mr Ploppy

Should the government plan for all eventualities? Yes

Is it possible that events will be banned? Yes

Do event organisers statements so far have any impact on that decision? No, they are irrelevant.

Is a pandemic likely? Yes

Is it likely that UK events will be banned? Not at the moment.

Does the media coverage have any influence on the spread of the virus? No (so it's irrelevant).

Would there be plenty of other things to be worried about, if events were banned? For many people, yes.

So personally...

I'm watching events day by day, but very far from worried at the moment.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should the government plan for all eventualities? Yes

Is it possible that events will be banned? Yes

Do event organisers statements so far have any impact on that decision? No, they are irrelevant.

Is a pandemic likely? Yes

Is it likely that UK events will be banned? Not at the moment.

Does the media coverage have any influence on the spread of the virus? No (so it's irrelevant).

Would there be plenty of other things to be worried about, if events were banned? For many people, yes.

So personally...

I'm watching events day by day, but very far from worried at the moment.

Saw a woman eating a ham salad sandwich today - tried to stop her "Noooooooooooooooooooo" as I reached out in slow motion. Anyway it was too late so I put a polythene bag over her head and taped it up.

She's currently quarentined in by car boot, awaiting me to hand her in.

Wonder If I will get some kind of reward?

Anyway I've done my bit off to watch outbreak now

Saw a woman eating a ham salad sandwich today - tried to stop her "Noooooooooooooooooooo" as I reached out in slow motion. Anyway it was too late so I put a polythene bag over her head and taped it up.

She's currently quarentined in by car boot, awaiting me to hand her in.

Wonder If I will get some kind of reward?

Anyway I've done my bit off to watch outbreak now

:D at this thread now.

a week ago it was all so worrying. now the WHO says its not really spreading, and even if it did, its a mild strain.

"oh no, they're gonna cancel glastonbury. life as we know it is coming to an end". i should really lift some actual quotes from this thread. i bet theres some really good ones.

we're not scaremongering, this is really happening. PUURRlease!

they soon got bored of that one didn't. i hate to say i told you so. Alright!

Do not believe all the bullshit in the papers about how it's being contained - it's not, and the govt and all healthcare professionals know for certain that this is the case.

Seeing as the govt are totally incompetent with their claims at containing swine flu (check my post from yesterday for the proof of that), they have no right whatsoever to ask others to take greater precautions over the possible spread of swine flu than they're making themselves within the healthcare system.

If the govt tell events to cancel then those events will sue the arse off the govt and win. So nothing will be cancelled.

Edited by eFestivals

This swine flu thing, from a media perspective, is totally out of control.

From The Guardian.

Glastonbury festival may be cancelled if swine flu spreads

Organisers are holding emergency talks to discuss the impact on Glastonbury should the outbreak reach the level of a pandemic

Glastonbury festival organisers have revealed that the recent outbreak of swine flu may result in the cancellation of the festival should the virus reach the level of a pandemic. A spokesman for the festival confirmed that emergency talks are being held to discuss the best way to manage the situation should the outbreak worsen ahead of the 137,500-capacity event in June. The festival also confirmed it was responding to the concerns of ticket holders who had contacted them about the potential impact on the event should the virus spread.

"So many people gathered in one place is a risk and if the government wanted to pull public events, like in Mexico, we'd be one of the first to go," the spokesman told the Sun. "It would be crazy not to put a plan in place. Right now, though, it's full steam ahead."

The swine flu outbreak began in Mexico, resulting in the cancellation of all major events where large numbers of people will gather, including music festivals. This year's Glastonbury festival will feature headline performances from Blur, Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. Performances from Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian and Animal Collective have also been confirmed by the artists themselves.

"We are monitoring all developments. At this stage the festival is going ahead and we are continuing to work flat out to make it a success," said the spokesman.

The Guardian is the official media sponsor of Glastonbury festival, which takes place in Pilton, Somerset, between 24-29 June 2009.

What would you have liked to happen Neil ?

After you told them that you had a cold, maybe some kind of outbreak style contamination squad should have swung into action, bundling you into the back of a van and drive you off to be hosed down the quarantine zone

This swine flu thing, from a media perspective, is totally out of control.

From The Guardian.

Glastonbury festival may be cancelled if swine flu spreads

Organisers are holding emergency talks to discuss the impact on Glastonbury should the outbreak reach the level of a pandemic

Glastonbury festival organisers have revealed that the recent outbreak of swine flu may result in the cancellation of the festival should the virus reach the level of a pandemic. A spokesman for the festival confirmed that emergency talks are being held to discuss the best way to manage the situation should the outbreak worsen ahead of the 137,500-capacity event in June. The festival also confirmed it was responding to the concerns of ticket holders who had contacted them about the potential impact on the event should the virus spread.

"So many people gathered in one place is a risk and if the government wanted to pull public events, like in Mexico, we'd be one of the first to go," the spokesman told the Sun. "It would be crazy not to put a plan in place. Right now, though, it's full steam ahead."

The swine flu outbreak began in Mexico, resulting in the cancellation of all major events where large numbers of people will gather, including music festivals. This year's Glastonbury festival will feature headline performances from Blur, Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. Performances from Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian and Animal Collective have also been confirmed by the artists themselves.

"We are monitoring all developments. At this stage the festival is going ahead and we are continuing to work flat out to make it a success," said the spokesman.

The Guardian is the official media sponsor of Glastonbury festival, which takes place in Pilton, Somerset, between 24-29 June 2009.

incompetent with their claims...??

yep - they pretend that if you've not been to mexico and haven't *knowingly* been in contact with someone that has then it's not possible to have swine flu.

I'm sure all of us have all caught a cold or flu at some time in our lives without knowingly coming into contact with someone who has that cold or flu. It's no different with swine flu, but the NHS is pretending that it's not possible to have it unless you've knowingly been in contact with mexico or someone who has recently been to mexico.

It's much like the fact that the guy of the couple in scotland who were the first confirmed case went to a Doves gig between getting back and getting symptoms .... do they think those at the gig might have got it? Nope (well, they're pretending 'no) - and they told him to keep quiet about the fact that he'd mixed with over 750 people!!!!

GF must come out and put an end to this crap.

When one of their top three media sponsors are running stories originating in the S*n then its time to get a press release out to end all this prattle.

It is unprofessional that the festival is allowing itself be linked even tenuously with this bug. It needs to be stopped immediately.

I havent posted on one of these threads yet, and this will be my last input...

But it is driving me nuts that "Glastonbury" and "swine flu" have become so indelibly linked in the news narrative over the past week in the media.

They can't. If, and it is a huge if, the government stops mass gatherings then GF would have no say in the matter whatsoever.

I believe the likes of Glastonbury shiould be fighting back RIGHT NOW to lessen the possibility of such a thing happening.

With very little effort they could build a file showing just how worthless the govts claimed containment efforts are. And seeing that the govt is doing only the very smallest bit of what they claim, it would then be difficult for them to insist that private businesses such as Glasto should do more than they're doing themselves - the threat of sueing along with publicising how worthless their containment efforts are should be enough to scare the govt into not pursueing the idea of cancelling anything that brings lots of people into contact with each other; if the govt/NHS aren't fully exposed as being totally crap with these containment efforts before they're considering issuing any banning orders then I reckon it'll be far harder for any festival.

I believe the likes of Glastonbury shiould be fighting back RIGHT NOW to lessen the possibility of such a thing happening.

With very little effort they could build a file showing just how worthless the govts claimed containment efforts are. And seeing that the govt is doing only the very smallest bit of what they claim, it would then be difficult for them to insist that private businesses such as Glasto should do more than they're doing themselves - the threat of sueing along with publicising how worthless their containment efforts are should be enough to scare the govt into not pursueing the idea of cancelling anything that brings lots of people into contact with each other; if the govt/NHS aren't fully exposed as being totally crap with these containment efforts before they're considering issuing any banning orders then I reckon it'll be far harder for any festival.