NO METAL DAY

Guest thoumasked

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the above!!!

Download to me looks absolutly terrible line up not my cup of tea at all!!

But guess what i havn't bought a ticket for it nor have i gone on their forums to moan and whinge at the line up constantly!!

Maybe some people have too much time on their hands!!

I agree with the above!!!

Download to me looks absolutly terrible line up not my cup of tea at all!!

But guess what i havn't bought a ticket for it nor have i gone on their forums to moan and whinge at the line up constantly!!

Maybe some people have too much time on their hands!!

If someone has purchased a pre-sale ticket for a festival on the basis of years and years of the line-up of said festival being to their liking, and then the line-up is not to their liking, as paying customers are they not entitled to have a whinge? Now, I'll admit that they took a risk in paying for said ticket, yet, they have done so. It is the same as you/me/anyone paying for a ticket to go see, er.....Harry Potter at the cinema.

You/me etc has the opinion that Harry Potter will be to our liking based on the previous 37 HP movies. Then you don't like the new movie, you can rest assured that you will (possibly, probably) vent your spleen at your disaste of the movie. And you are well within your rights to do so, as a paying customer.

So, why is not ok for people to do so about a festival? Or, why is it bad for them to do so?

It is all opinion of course. No-one is ever going to agree with each other.

And for the record, I dont really think there is/was a metal day at Reading. It is a rocknroll festival, it has always been (to my limited knowledge) a diverse festival that caters for many different tastes. There are many more acts to be released yet!

I am not even sure I have got my point across, or that I have made any sense whatsoever! :)

I'd say it's more comparable to paying for a Harry Potter film (if you're into that sort of thing) and instead being presented with an extended feature of the adventures of Dobby the house elf... sure the kids love i, but it lacks the edge and depth you were expecting

Bizarrely this was still on my clipboard from yesterday!

Quite alot of us actually, particularly those of us who bought earlybird tickets for Reading festival expecting a Reading line-up and not a V line-up. Seriously, as the list of previous main stage bands for at least 8 years proves, we had every right to expect a more varied selection of alternative bands rather than the radio friendly NME sponsered shite we've been presented with.

It's a festival known for presenting a wide variety of alternative bands. The majority of the bands on offer this year are in no way alternative, and fall under the mainstream pop catagory. Most of the bands on this years line-up have more in common commercially, and behind the scenes with Take That and the Spice Girls than proper Rock acts.

If you're happy with this years line-up, this isn't your festival. You're festival is V.

Reading hasn't been an alternative festival at all this century, I see your point but Reading has been way mainstream for so long now, even in terms of other generes. then maybe what we consider alternative is very different

I think your being rather niave if you think the acts have more in common with spice girls. Just because a band makes pop music or more poppier music doesn't mean they are manufactured etc. I'd like to know which bands you a refering too.

This is no way a V line up either, maybe if V was still the festival it was many many years ago, thought I think its blatant to see this years line up would never be a V festival line up.

Though the line up is shit.

METAL is for mature people! us teenagers are to imature to listen to metal! lets face it, only mature people go in mosh pits and throw their arm around! (supposed to be sarcastic) :D

Metal is out of date, and sucks. If it was good they would get metal bands to play, there a buisness remember.

Is this a plea for a dictionary I see before me? :D

Anyone could just obliterate anyone else's argument by saying that not agreeing with your point of view is stupid and makes you this or that or whatever, but it's a bit of a cop out and in light of the situation, pointless.

See what the announcement is later, on what's been said/alluded to, chances are it'll be to your liking and if not, you can come on here and moan again but just remember that it isn't going to change anything on the line-up and you can never 'win' an argument with people who are happy with the line-up because the fact of the matter is that it is the line-up and if you don't like it then maybe Download/Sonisphere is a better festival for you, for this year at least, 'cos it's no good counting how many heavy bands have played Reading in the last 10 years or whatever, if they're not playing this year then they're not playing this year.

Anyone could just obliterate anyone else's argument by saying that not agreeing with your point of view is stupid and makes you this or that or whatever, but it's a bit of a cop out and in light of the situation, pointless.

See what the announcement is later, on what's been said/alluded to, chances are it'll be to your liking and if not, you can come on here and moan again but just remember that it isn't going to change anything on the line-up and you can never 'win' an argument with people who are happy with the line-up because the fact of the matter is that it is the line-up and if you don't like it then maybe Download/Sonisphere is a better festival for you, for this year at least, 'cos it's no good counting how many heavy bands have played Reading in the last 10 years or whatever, if they're not playing this year then they're not playing this year.

This year does still have a mix of genres, just at the moment, we're being shafted even more then 2007. PLenty of time for that to change though, and they will hopefully address that with their R1 headliners, and a kick arse lock up.

The people saying that people who like the line up should go V, I find this laughable. Nearly all the bands you're complaining about have played Reading a stupid amount of times in the past few years, they're still different to the V type bands. It's more just how the state of music is at the moment then the state of the festival, just like Sum 41 and Papa Roach being given stupidly high slots when they were whored by Radio 1 and whatnot, I'm sure there was plenty of bitching then too.

Seriously we're better off then we were after 2007's first announcement imo, albeit I didn't know how good NIN were going to be then...

I'm not enamoured by the line up this year but they can't make EVERYONE happy every year and the past two years have been amazing for me , they haven't even announced half the line up yet so why can't we just shuttup and wait for all the bands to be announced before we start bitching and if you still don't like them sell up and let someone that appreciates it go! Fair enough express your views on the bands but don't put a downer on the weekend for those who are excited or make sweeping generalisations insulting people with a different music taste to yourself, that's what makes music so ineresting! Leeds/Reading will always manage to be an amazing weekend no matter what!

Edited by Kimethy

Thats lovely, sadly i mentioned nothing about the good old days of a heavier Reading, the closest i got to that was quickly responding to the quote including: "load of similar genre bands"

I have my tickets due to this

I also doubt if they announce a stunning and now totally unexpected set of pre '09 Reading bands that i could log on to see tickets and still get a ticket.

I will assume this bit is in reference to the childish, unsubstatiated claim at the start of my previous post in which case wheres the harm in exposing someone's lack of knowledge on a subject they choose to comment on with a little evidence. I guess i could say everyone will realise what a mistake indie music was next year, i have no evidence for this however, i assume this is preferable.

As for the use of the word inexplicibly, i see nothing wrong. Generally when i want to exagerate a point, i use a word to exagerate it, normally this method receives no complaints.

In short, thankyou kindly for replying but no response is better than a largely irrelevent one.

Everyone knew what the rummours and everyone knew that they will probly be trueand guees what they are!

There are deliberate heavy rock festivals you all no that so why not go there and have a good time and let the people who actualy want to go to reading have a good time.

Its things like this that realy get on my tits and I know it sounds lame but kids in Africa die from aids and no water and ur moaning because your favourite act isnt at your 200 pound festival.

worth a thought?

I agree Axenreign and Lithium.

The mix of bands is limited. Its unfair to call it bland, but to me Reading was sort of a festival that you could experiance all sorts of genres. I know someone will argue with me on that, but seriously the only act that seems to stand out at me is prodigy on mainstage. If you dont like one of the bands on main stage, your kinda screwed except for their "hits" that everyone knows.

Hell, i may get hung for it by my mates. I enjoyed Dizzie Rascal last year while waiting for serj tankian. Also saturday the vast majority of the bands didnt take my fancy, but i watched Manic Street Preachers and again, enjoyed it.

It seems diluted to whos "popular" in each scene this year. i met people somehow last year who hardly knew a song by Rage Against The Machine. If i go to work and ask some people who are Rage Against The Machine and name a song by them, i could put decent money on people going "....i dunno." I know other people who saw rage, and were like, "shiit! i didnt relise that they did that song." and try and hum it to me pathetically.

Whomever said Kings Of Leon are pikey deserves to be shot. They are simply growing in popularity. and has got so many different types of fans. Personally i do prefer the older stuff off the first two albums but they are still putting some good out.