NO METAL DAY

Guest thoumasked

All this complaining is only making metalheads look bad. Its as if they WANT to be known as the most narrow minded music lovers. They're certainly giving themselves a bad name at the moment. I'm predominantly into indie music but I'm still partial to a lot of metal, punk and other alternative rock but still wouldn't be bitching if the weekend was predominantly heavier bands to what I'd listen to.

And anyway, the metal bands FR usually book are shite anyway.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with people saying if you dont like it then go to other festivals, but going 8 years in a row, living right on the festivals door step, i feel i have a right to complain, in what i see, and a lot of other people see, as a very unimaginative line up, filled up with boring radio 1 clone bands, or bands that have played the last two years, but a slighlty re-arranged order. id even go as far as saying its slightly depressing not going, as im gunna be round the corner thinking bahhh i wish i was there, but i cant jusitfy 180 quid on basically the same bands ive seen the last 3 years for cheaper.

plus im partial to a bit of metal, but ive never enjoyed metal at reading, because there is too many people who are indifferent to it, therefore the atmosphere tends to be shit, hell i'd prefer to get my metal fix from download, but the fact that the line up this year resembles a 14 yr old girls cd rack or a brit awards greatest hits set ( obviously bar a few bands) is something i think alienates alot of the previous years crowds.

seen the same moronic arguements on the Isle of wight boards about people complaining about neil young and pixies headlining! People dont appreciate good music nowadays. I dare you to listen to some good music.

Edited by Matticus

Last decade of Reading, generalised.

Friday - Bit punky, ska, rock/pop

Saturday - rock/pop indie

Sunday - Metal, Rock

This year, with few execptions

Friday - Indie

Saturday - Indie

Sunday - Indie

I hate indie.

Edited by JameSemajj

i agree with people saying if you dont like it then go to other festivals, but going 8 years in a row, living right on the festivals door step, i feel i have a right to complain, in what i see, and a lot of other people see, as a very unimaginative line up, filled up with boring radio 1 clone bands, or bands that have played the last two years, but a slighlty re-arranged order. id even go as far as saying its slightly depressing not going, as im gunna be round the corner thinking bahhh i wish i was there, but i cant jusitfy 180 quid on basically the same bands ive seen the last 3 years for cheaper.

plus im partial to a bit of metal, but ive never enjoyed metal at reading, because there is too many people who are indifferent to it, therefore the atmosphere tends to be shit, hell i'd prefer to get my metal fix from download, but the fact that the line up this year resembles a 14 yr old girls cd rack or a brit awards greatest hits set ( obviously bar a few bands) is something i think alienates alot of the previous years crowds.

seen the same moronic arguements on the Isle of wight boards about people complaining about neil young and pixies headlining! People dont appreciate good music nowadays. I dare you to listen to some good music.

Going from memory (if I'm wrong it's because I can't be arsed to look it up) The top 3 for each day for as long as I've been going to Reading (including drop outs):

Fri - Linkin Park, Blink 182, Placebo

Sat - Blur, White Stripes, Beck

Sun - Metallica, SOAD, Sum 41

Fri - The Darkness, The Offspring, Ash

Sat - White Stripes, Morissey, Libertines

Sun - Green Day, 50 Cent, Placebo

Fri - The Pixies, The Killers, QOTSA

Sat- Foo Fighters,

Sun - Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Incubus

Fri - Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sat - Muse, Arctic Monkeys, The Streets

Sun - Pearl Jam, Placebo, MCR

Fri - Razorshite, Kings of Leon, Interpol

Sat - RHCP, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party

Sun - Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Lostprophets

Fri - RATM, QOTSA, Fratellis

Sat - The Killers, Bloc Party, Raconteurs

Sun - Metallica, Tenacious D, Slipknot

Now while it's been gradual it's obvious that a line up like this has been coming, whilst there have been a few blips over the years (most notably 2004 with The Darkness and 50 Cent) the line-up has been deteriorating into this trendy welly sporting fashionable radio friendly, Indie/NME/Britpop/whatever you want to call it, that it's become this year, and the essence of what it was - an escape where the kids not into mainstream music could hang out with each other and not be bothered by their loutish tormenters, has become somewhere that it's fashionable to be (thank you kate moss et all) and whilst I'm not condemning all of the fans of these bands they clearly attract an element that you don't get at festivalslike Download.

For me the most upsetting sign of things to come was the way the crowd dissappeared before NIN in 2007 in favour of LCD soundsystem or whatever they're called. I'm not the biggest NIN fan but I respect what they've done and know they're very popular with alternave music fans, that for me confirmed that Readings transition from an Alternative music fest to a more mainstream fest in a similar vein to V had almost finished. Similarly classic "festival bands" like the Dropkick Murphys last year have shown a drop in pull to the stage since 2004 where they received a much better crowd reaction, I dread to think what sort of a reaction Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake, two of the best bands to get the crowd going on a sunny afternoon, would get if they were added to this years main stage either an empty field or the request of a cover of "Wonderwall" I suspect...

I may have wandered from my point there and that is such: Every year since and including 2003 I could have bought my tickets before seeing the line-up and not been dissappointed this year is different. I'm not arguing there has always been a metal day, but there has definately always been a high energy rock act with a fast tempo to close the festival with a bang This year has 2 acts popular with the sort of people who buy Now That's what I call Music cds and a band they're told to listen to listen to for a more mature (pretentious) taste in music.

I don't want metal or "dinosaur bands" (seriously whoever used that argument against AC/DC and Maiden - there's a reason these bands are still selling records after so many years) what's wrong with acts like Black Stone Cherry, Alter Bridge, Airbourne, Hinder, Seether, Stone Gods, The Answer, Wolfmother, Rancid, NOFX, Zebrahead, Coheed and Cambria or any number of others being mixed in (I know some will play, but a lot of those mentioned should be above those already on the line-up) with the current crop and giving the NME/Radio1/pop fans the chance to see something different, isn't that the point of festivals in the first place?!

Found it...

Over the years I have attened sunday breaks down like this...

Metal/Non metal

Headlines 3/7

Other bands on a year by year break down

99: 0/9

00: 2/7

01: 5/5

02: 3/6

03: 1/8

04: 0/7

05: 1/7

06: 4/4

07: 1/7

08: 3/5

So our grand total all in all is 23/72 hence the fact that metal day is a myth.

Infact the whole metal heritage that people go on about with reading is a bit of a deception too. Its always been rock ie guitar based bands not metal. Metal is a donnington thing...

the word metal doesn't really apply but to say it was never a 'heavier day' is total balls. You say 0 from 9 in 1999 were heavier bands ? well what are Pitchshifter, Backyard Babies, Silverchair, Buckcherry, Sick of it all, mudhoney if not heavy rock ? hell even feeder, offspring and rhcp are 'metal' in comparison to this years line up.

discounting the word metal and applying heavy rock/punk here is my version of how things went

1999 10/10

2000 7/10

2001 9/10

2002 9/10

2003 8/9

2004 7/9

2005 9/9

2006 9/9

2007 8/10

2008 8/9

2009 0/5

so on Sunday 'rock' day I make it 84/101 (just been through all line up posters - your total is some way short )

Edited by Messi30

METAL is for mature people! us teenagers are to imature to listen to metal! lets face it, only mature people go in mosh pits and throw their arm around! (supposed to be sarcastic) :(

Metal is out of date, and sucks. If it was good they would get metal bands to play, there a buisness remember.

Edited by JameSemajj

Going from memory (if I'm wrong it's because I can't be arsed to look it up) The top 3 for each day for as long as I've been going to Reading (including drop outs):

Fri - Linkin Park, Blink 182, Placebo

Sat - Blur, White Stripes, Beck

Sun - Metallica, SOAD, Sum 41

Fri - The Darkness, The Offspring, Ash

Sat - White Stripes, Morissey, Libertines

Sun - Green Day, 50 Cent, Placebo

Fri - The Pixies, The Killers, QOTSA

Sat- Foo Fighters,

Sun - Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Incubus

Fri - Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sat - Muse, Arctic Monkeys, The Streets

Sun - Pearl Jam, Placebo, MCR

Fri - Razorshite, Kings of Leon, Interpol

Sat - RHCP, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party

Sun - Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Lostprophets

Fri - RATM, QOTSA, Fratellis

Sat - The Killers, Bloc Party, Raconteurs

Sun - Metallica, Tenacious D, Slipknot

Now while it's been gradual it's obvious that a line up like this has been coming, whilst there have been a few blips over the years (most notably 2004 with The Darkness and 50 Cent) the line-up has been deteriorating into this trendy welly sporting fashionable radio friendly, Indie/NME/Britpop/whatever you want to call it, that it's become this year, and the essence of what it was - an escape where the kids not into mainstream music could hang out with each other and not be bothered by their loutish tormenters, has become somewhere that it's fashionable to be (thank you kate moss et all) and whilst I'm not condemning all of the fans of these bands they clearly attract an element that you don't get at festivalslike Download.

For me the most upsetting sign of things to come was the way the crowd dissappeared before NIN in 2007 in favour of LCD soundsystem or whatever they're called. I'm not the biggest NIN fan but I respect what they've done and know they're very popular with alternave music fans, that for me confirmed that Readings transition from an Alternative music fest to a more mainstream fest in a similar vein to V had almost finished. Similarly classic "festival bands" like the Dropkick Murphys last year have shown a drop in pull to the stage since 2004 where they received a much better crowd reaction, I dread to think what sort of a reaction Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake, two of the best bands to get the crowd going on a sunny afternoon, would get if they were added to this years main stage either an empty field or the request of a cover of "Wonderwall" I suspect...

I may have wandered from my point there and that is such: Every year since and including 2003 I could have bought my tickets before seeing the line-up and not been dissappointed this year is different. I'm not arguing there has always been a metal day, but there has definately always been a high energy rock act with a fast tempo to close the festival with a bang This year has 2 acts popular with the sort of people who buy Now That's what I call Music cds and a band they're told to listen to listen to for a more mature (pretentious) taste in music.

I don't want metal or "dinosaur bands" (seriously whoever used that argument against AC/DC and Maiden - there's a reason these bands are still selling records after so many years) what's wrong with acts like Black Stone Cherry, Alter Bridge, Airbourne, Hinder, Seether, Stone Gods, The Answer, Wolfmother, Rancid, NOFX, Zebrahead, Coheed and Cambria or any number of others being mixed in (I know some will play, but a lot of those mentioned should be above those already on the line-up) with the current crop and giving the NME/Radio1/pop fans the chance to see something different, isn't that the point of festivals in the first place?!

the word metal doesn't really apply but to say it was never a 'heavier day' is total balls. You say 0 from 9 in 1999 were heavier bands ? well what are Pitchshifter, Backyard Babies, Silverchair, Buckcherry, Sick of it all, mudhoney if not heavy rock ? hell even feeder, offspring and rhcp are 'metal' in comparison to this years line up.

discounting the word metal and applying heavy rock/punk here is my version of how things went

1999 10/10

2000 7/10

2001 9/10

2002 9/10

2003 8/9

2004 7/9

2005 9/9

2006 9/9

2007 8/10

2008 8/9

2009 0/5

so on Sunday 'rock' day I make it 84/101 (just been through all line up posters - your total is some way short )

Edited by TalkShow Bob

:(:blink: wat a load of rubish. To not bother doing any other year lets do 99...

* Red Hot Chili Peppers

* The Offspring

* Terrorvision

* Silverchair

* Feeder

* Pitchshifter

* Sick of It All

* Buckcherry

* Backyard Babies

* Lit

Well that was the main stage lineup. Of course if you count people who use a gutar there is 9/9 or then again including headliners 10/10. But really hevy? No none of them are. Oh yeah there is a fair amount of new school punk in there but no, no its not heavy or metal... Like I say myth.

Bizarrely this was still on my clipboard from yesterday!

Quite alot of us actually, particularly those of us who bought earlybird tickets for Reading festival expecting a Reading line-up and not a V line-up. Seriously, as the list of previous main stage bands for at least 8 years proves, we had every right to expect a more varied selection of alternative bands rather than the radio friendly NME sponsered shite we've been presented with.

It's a festival known for presenting a wide variety of alternative bands. The majority of the bands on offer this year are in no way alternative, and fall under the mainstream pop catagory. Most of the bands on this years line-up have more in common commercially, and behind the scenes with Take That and the Spice Girls than proper Rock acts.

If you're happy with this years line-up, this isn't your festival. You're festival is V.