GAS CANISTERS BANNED!

Guest zeppelin

Original: http://www.readingfestival.com/info/index.aspx?id=399

For various reasons, mainly your and our staff’s safety, we have decided to bring our campsite policy in line with many other similar national events and we will not permit any gas, cylinders or petrol cookers into the campsites, or anywhere on site, this year. We suggest that if you want to cook outisde your tent that you bring disposable bbq’s only. They are also available at the nearby supermarkets. Anyone seen with canisters or cylinders will be ejected from site. Please help up with this, plan ahead and have a great camping experience.

The caravan and campervan ticket holders in white campervan field only will be permitted to bring in gas containers up to the limit of 3kg.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised really, pretty annoying for most people who use them responsibly. Also using camping stoves etc was a good way to keep the cost of the festival down for all those wanting to broing and cook thier own food, or not even thinking about cost it was good for those who didn't want to rely on buying a lot of the questionable food there.

Think this will be very hard to enforce unless they use a zero tolerance policy but think it is safe to say lots of people probably won't be aware of this new rule when they go.

knew this would happen, especially with other festivals banning them as well.

Maybe when the chav kids learn to get a f**king grip we'll be allowed them back.

Not surprised really, but a real F**king pain...

I did think last year around purple reminded me of the night scene by the bridge in Apocalypse Now....

However rules is rules and it will be less to carry...

Now.... does that mean hot burning charcoal will be lobed about the site on the Sunday now?

Also how well does a kettle work on a bbq?

Edited by strudders

A real shame for people who use them properly, but I think it had to be done really.

I seriously contemplated not returning to the festival again, after the sunday night last year. I adore Reading, but at the point where you don't really feel safe, is the point you stop enjoying yourself.

Just a pity some knob heads have to spoil it for everyone else.

we have a solid fuel stove we bought for T where you aren't even allowed bbqs! It worked fine.

At Reading we usually bbq and have also had some success digging a 'firepuit' win which we build our campfire. Using metal bbq trays and grills we made an oven and cooked roast veg and focaccia a couple of years back. It was cool!

Its about time this happened. Its the same the world over that the responsible people get penalised but at least they haven't banned fires yet!!

Edited by kittycat100

Some will say it was inevitable, but that doesn't make me any more understanding. Frankly I'd prefer 2005's security to no gas.

How much are solid fuel blocks, but far more importantly how big and heavy? I ask this because I have, without question, the smallest gas stove in the world, and this really will make a difference to what I can carry. I'm traditionally the smug one who manages to fit all of his stuff and everything everyone else should have brought but didn't think about, everything the group needs, all of my food plus sleeping bag and tent in the rucksack, and still left with two hands free to help carry wood and booze. I don't want this to change. :P

EDIT: If this only applies to Reading I would seriously consider doing Leeds, bar the persuading everyone else to go oop North part.

Edited by beLIEveR

Some will say it was inevitable, but that doesn't make me any more understanding. Frankly I'd prefer 2005's security to no gas.

How much are solid fuel blocks, but far more importantly how big and heavy? I ask this because I have, without question, the smallest gas stove in the world, and this really will make a difference to what I can carry. I'm traditionally the smug one who manages to fit all of his stuff and everything everyone else should have brought but didn't think about, everything the group needs, all of my food plus sleeping bag and tent in the rucksack, and still left with two hands free to help carry wood and booze. I don't want this to change. :P

EDIT: If this only applies to Reading I would seriously consider doing Leeds, bar the persuading everyone else to go oop North part.