GAS CANISTERS BANNED!

Guest zeppelin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it inconceivable that the people of modern Britain can't boil some water without a f**king gas canister...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned these, but take a look at the following:

http://www.earth-huggers.com/search.php?se...&view=thumb

They are not all that cheap, but they are fuelled by wood and the like, ie solid stuff, and burn the gases released as well as the wood itself - a process known as gasification. A two-pack of AAA batteries running a small fan is what makes it powerful enough to boil water.

I got one and they are a very neat piece of kit, doesn't weigh much and is quite small, even the larger version I bought. First go, I got some bits of wood and a barbecue firelighter, 5 mins to get it going, then it boiled a pan of 1.5 pints water in about 11 minutes. Might go even better with barbecue charcoal?

I don't think they should have been banned.... I just don't understand why the few idiots who use these in the wrong way should penalize those who just want to cook some bloody food! it's camping for gods sake! Anyhow, i think all this will do is encourage people to bring them even more knowing that its banned...... like illegal drugs. HEATH and SAFETY is taking over the world!

I remember a few years ago at Reading a load of nutters had built this enormous fire in the middle of the cmapsite and were throwing their aerosol cans in it. These things were exploding all going off like rockets. I saw one fly out sideways and rip through about three tents. It was a funny sight but seriously dangerous. We left out of fear of being hit by an exploding can of Lynx.

I think banning them is a bit strong though. How about they just ban idiots instead.

Anyone else willing to support an "No idiot" poilcy for Reading?

I remember a few years ago at Reading a load of nutters had built this enormous fire in the middle of the cmapsite and were throwing their aerosol cans in it. These things were exploding all going off like rockets. I saw one fly out sideways and rip through about three tents. It was a funny sight but seriously dangerous. We left out of fear of being hit by an exploding can of Lynx.

I think banning them is a bit strong though. How about they just ban idiots instead.

Anyone else willing to support an "No idiot" poilcy for Reading?

surely deodrant could also cause harm to people if thrown into a fire?

In my opinon, IT will not change a thing, GAS cans will get into the campsite, just like drugs every year... i really don't understand why they bother. I just walked in last year.. didn't get searched, no offence, but those scotish security are absolutely shite.

surely deodrant could also cause harm to people if thrown into a fire?

In my opinon, IT will not change a thing, GAS cans will get into the campsite, just like drugs every year... i really don't understand why they bother. I just walked in last year.. didn't get searched, no offence, but those scotish security are absolutely shite.

• 1 year later...

I'm heading back to Reading after a couple of years absence, and I'm another tea/coffee lover in the morning... I did a dry run the other week of using a Triangia burner, and can't say it's safer than using gas. :-/

Could anyone tell me if banning gas cannisters made a difference at all, or is it still like a scene from Apocalypse Now on a Monday morning...

I still fail to see how gas canisters under 100ml are somehow "safe". The size isn't important, it's the pressure they're stored under that matters and deodorant under 100ml is still going to explode if it's thrown on a fire... FR my cry elf n safety all day long but I suspect there's much more commercial interest at heart.

I still fail to see how gas canisters under 100ml are somehow "safe". The size isn't important, it's the pressure they're stored under that matters and deodorant under 100ml is still going to explode if it's thrown on a fire... FR my cry elf n safety all day long but I suspect there's much more commercial interest at heart.

They can't ban all gas canisters as that includes deodorant cans, and Festival folk are smelly enough without banning deodorant!

What they are basically saying is you can bring in a small deodorant can in, enough to last you the time you are at the festival, but anything other than that, ie a gas canister that is blatantly not a deodorant and for chucking on a fire is banned.

They have to do something to try and stop the idiots, so this is a good move imo.