Babies and festivals

Guest mj2004

Hi I haven't posted on here in yonks mainly due to the fact I haven't been to a festival since 2005 and have now been bitten by the bug again!

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I need some advice!

I really really fancy doing a day at Latitude this year, the reason why I only want to do a day is because I will have a 3 month old ish baby by then! (and I want to see the Pet Shop Boys :O ) I don't want to spend the weekend or camp at all.

It's only about an hour and a half drive away so it's not so bad and Latitude is known for being child friendly but will it be too early for my baby to go to his or her first festival? I don't really want to leave him or her with anyone as I am hoping to be breastfeeding.

My plan is to take the baby in the sling I have so that we aren't dragging a pram around.

Who else has done this and how did it go?

Theres a thread on Discussions about babies at fests started March 19th.

heres my angle-----

We`ve had all our kids at fests from a very early age...and its really a matter of common sense.

People said we were mad/irresponsible and gluttons for punishment etc etc.... but as long as you realise that its not quite the same as being on yer own... then its fine.

We took Hendrix to last years Rhythmn fest --he was only 6 days old!

Being on tit-milk is by far the easiest from a feed point of view. Boagey wise--- we bought a pretty crappy but sturdy one for next to nowt knowing it would get filthy etc etc... so i would say--dont take your best pushchair... even though a young baby cant sit up in one-- a sturdy pushchair is great for going in with as you can carry all the extra supplies needed... and of course the bairn can lay out in it. A good sling is worth the money. Bjorn Again has been the best we`ve had.

Ear protection? Sorry like---- you shouldn`t be anywhere near the front stage with a baby antway-- so you dont need it imo... stay towards the back and set a little camp up... take turns to wander down the front etc etc.

Plenty of baby wipes and spare gear. A sun brolly--a must! blankets to sit on. Bottles,dummies etc etc tend to get dropped on the grass so bring plenty of that sort of thing. More towels than norm. We bathed ours in those storage boxes from IKEA. Enough jars of baby food (if its on solids by then).

People were astounded that we took Hendrix so soon after he was born... and theres no doubt you have to make bit more of an effort.... but if you go with the right frame of mind... no probs.

Major thing is though... dont worry about a thing.... what could go wrong? Having a van has made things MUCH easier mind... i wouldnt fancy being in a tent with a 9yr old--- 3yr old and 9m old.

Cant speak for the likes of Glasto for young uns (too big for us)..but all the fests we attend are very very child friendly and we love it.

Larmer Tree, Wychwood, Rythmn Fest, Acoustic Fest are 4 in particular which we have found most suitable for young kids.

Enjoy