Glastonbury food with pictures

mike99

I shall be hunting down the Hurly Burly this year, I discovered it at SGP last year. The mugs of tea and slices of cake were marvellous!

I discovered the Hurly Burly Cafe at Shambala last year. I sat down with a friend having decided to have a cup of tea and a slice of cake before going back on the red wine. I was taken aback when all the staff dropped what they were doing and started dancing about the tent in unison. It was a great performance. I managed to see another two performances by the staff over the weekend. I would recommend hanging around the cafe to see them dance.

Personally I much prefer the Big Dog to the Growler. It's exactly the same but with a suasage instead of the bacon.

Sausage beats bacon for me every time.

Sausage wrapped in Bacon > Bacon > Sausage.

I personally wouldn't do a growler due to the cheese anyhow :P Apart from that it looks about edible :P

It's not that The Growler's intrinsically ropey (though it probably is). It's the fact it's being consumed at the expense of other tastier, more interesting choices. It's like walking past a small, locally-owned deli to visit a branch of Greggs.

it's become one of those things that you're almost obliged to get enthusiastic about, when in reality it is like the worst kind of lard pie from Greggs

it's like Brothers - ghastly fizzy piss, that you're supposed to whoop with delight at the prospect of drinking. Fucking horrid

The one in the photo on the previous page looks way better than the abortion I was served in 08. I was knackered, hungry, cold and could not be arsed walking to find anything decent so bought a Growler. Big mistake. Stale supermarket value baguette containing soggy undercooked frozen chips and fatty, watery bacon with a processed cheese slice on top all swimming in the excess oil that hadn't been properly drained from the chips. By some distance the worst food I've eaten not just at Glastonbury but any festival (and culinary lowlights on that list include Reading, V and T In The Park - even Creamfields and Download weren't as bad!).

I'm not wanting to defend the wrongness that is the Growler.. but processed cheese slice? Really? Surely it's proper melted cheese? I'm sure the one I had was proper cheese.

Edited by Boris

Another fan of the Hurly Burly here. Pretty hard to find unless you come in from the gate nearby. Top notch breakfasts with hot dancing chicks serving the food!

Also love the Goan Fish Curry. Nice jerk stall between pyramid and other stage as well!

Bit of a random question but has anybody seen a stall called, quite literally, Tea & Cake tent? At Bestival 2008 it was horrid ally rainy and close to resembling a swamp and this place run by some mega cheery Welsh people was not only an oasis in terms of keeping warm and dry but also made the meanest Victoria sponge I've ever eaten. It was Alice in wonderland themed with tables decorated with packs of playing cards. They were never there again and it always made me feel so sad :(

Bit of a random question but has anybody seen a stall called, quite literally, Tea & Cake tent? At Bestival 2008 it was horrid ally rainy and close to resembling a swamp and this place run by some mega cheery Welsh people was not only an oasis in terms of keeping warm and dry but also made the meanest Victoria sponge I've ever eaten. It was Alice in wonderland themed with tables decorated with packs of playing cards. They were never there again and it always made me feel so sad :(

Not seen that. There is a cheerful Welsh van near the Circus field called Te å Tost (Tea and Toast) which sells, well, those things. But not sure they do cake.

Not seen that. There is a cheerful Welsh van near the Circus field called Te å Tost (Tea and Toast) which sells, well, those things. But not sure they do cake.

actually thinking back I think that might be it! They were from near Swansea and there was a guy with glasses who was quite happy to entertain my constant requests for him to say "glitter" in a welsh accent. Lol Gli-ta ... :)

Hurly Burly Cafe never seen that before at Glastonbury nor at Shambala either for that matter.
Must do as Shaw Taylor recommends this year.

If you look at the 2011 map i think they were on the corner between Blazing Saddles,Astrolabe and outdoor circus stage.I can recommend the place.

They were also at Camp Bestival in 2012.

Those people we're lovely. They kept my (then) 10 month old supplied with jam sandwiches all weekend. He was a happy boy

For the last 3 years we have ended the festival with a fry up on a Monday morning from the Hurly Burly before navigating the hill of death :-)

Can anyone tell me what the best food is for value for someone on a strict budget?

I would say either a pasty from Welsh Oggie stall near Yeomans Bridge i think... or pasta http://www.efestivals.co.uk/info/food.php?fid=105 both are filling too. The Roaming Rotisserie were pretty good value too IMHO http://www.efestivals.co.uk/info/food.php?fid=175

Large yogurts from Yeo Valley were £1 in 2011 so grab one of these for breakfast. Buy some bananas from the fruit stall to fill up between meals. Also take some cereal bars with you. :)