Glastonbury food with pictures

mike99

I had a toastie on Friday morning from the cheese truck up by big ground and it didn't disappoint.

To give some context, I was very bad with my food. Wednesday, all I ate all day was a pastry en route from Tesco and a couple of Tracker bars in the car. Nothing for lunch or dinner due to excitement mainly.

Thursday I woke up, started drinking and stupidly accepted a line of coke, which effectively switched off my ability to eat food for the whole day. By the evening I was in a bad way having eaten nothing, apart from a few forced mouthfuls of my boyfriend's dinner at 9pm ish before passing out in the tent.

Come Friday morning I was STARVING - so off I went on my mission to find the cheese truck after seeing a pic someone posted in this thread and it really was possibly one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Granted, any food at that point would have been amazing, but this REALLY was.

Lesson learned, cocaine is the devil's drug, never again. 

I went to the Hippy Chippy after recommendations on here.  Not the most horrible thing I've eaten but terrible by Glastonbury standards.

The jerk chicken from the place along from William's Green is as delicious as I remember from past years.  I was going to take a pic but I couldn't stop eating for long enough either time I went.  Next time I might just eat there all weekend and try everything.  Cans of juice (inc proper ginger beer) for £1 too.  Great value.

As has become habit, I had Square Pie for Sunday dinner.  Expensive for the full works but it's such a big portion that it fed 2 of us which makes it a bargain.

As usual I spent most of the festival stuffing my fat face (I kind of see it as a food roadshow with some bands on in the background).  Two stand outs for me were:

Annie Mae's Mac & Cheese  - had the Don with bacon and basil, bloody lovely.  A little heavy, but if you're after some comforting stodge you can't go wrong.

The Po' Boys stall opposite Buzz Stop.  Had their beef brisket po'boy and it was feckin' amazing.

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I went to the Hippy Chippy after recommendations on here.  Not the most horrible thing I've eaten but terrible by Glastonbury standards.

I don't know if they've been taken over by new people or just rejigged their menus, but this year's offerings were very differnet to previous years - tiny little cones of chips, it seemed, rather than the previous chips-and-toppings menu. 

19 hours ago, MrZigster said:

This Glastonbury burger has made the front page of reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/4qf1ht/burger_at_glastonbury_festival/

3 hours ago, PudForever said:

Ha this is mine. I got a lot of hate for that from yanks claiming we don't burger properly!

That is one photogenic burger. Almost too perfect. Where did it come from?

I'm another fan of the jerk chicken place just down (and to the right a bit iirc) from Williams Green. Close to where I was working I must have eaten from there at least four times. The chicken was better than the pork I thought. Messed up once by managing to drop BOTH forks I had procured after I was well away from any food stalls and ended up eating the rice & bean with head tilted back and fingers.

Also had a similar amount of Sunshine Smoothies.

I kicked off my festival with a Super Royale from Le Grande Bouffe after recommendations on here.  I did initially think I was getting short changed with only one sausage, but the meal was more than enough and worth the £8 or so.  Will go back next year.  Also went for an Oggy this time.  They only had lamb, but was a nice bit of grease to settle my stomach on Saturday lunch (with a massive helping off Daddies brown sauce).

We played a fun game of "spot the food stand that's usually at a German Christmas market". There were quite a few if you knew what you're looking for - sloping roof, wood paneling, remains of fake snow.

My favourite meal was definitely the La Grande Bouffe  - tartiflette, I tried it on recommendations here and it was so heavenly had two meals there!

The Oggie was ok but not as good as I remembered it, had it with gravy once.

Really good pizza place (super cheesy!) by Silver Hayes as you walk towards the Pyramid/Other stages turn off. Also in the same area I had very nice Sausage and mushroom baguettes at a breakfast place on two of the days.

Went to the grilled cheese van by Hell stage but wasn't that blown away, could have been cheesier!

Also had a good burger at Half Man Half Burger (near John Peel).

Tartiflette from Le Grande Bouche and also the wonderful home made cakes and cup of tea from the place by the acoustic tent - wonderful and some amazing onion bahjis from somewhere 3 great big ones for £4.50 plus a wonderful dressing - those were the stand out things for me this year.

First year ever we didn't end the Sunday night with pie and no Growler either.  The difficulty trudging through the mud definitely curtailed our efforts to try other food stalls this year

3 hours ago, jorddzz said:

Had the most amazing cheese and pesto focaccia from Lynda's loaf in the Greenpeace area. Huge portion for only £4 and it was to die for! 

Seconded.  Needed to sit down for 10 mins after eating one.  Bloody amazing it was.

Edited by watsonjm

I had the Piggie Smalls Amy Swinehouse on the Wednesday and thought it was glorious. Had the pizza and the carbonara pasta from the stall in Pennards at the end of the path to the Park, that pasta was amazing and so filling. Also remembered to take pics of The Don from Annie Mae's Mac N' Cheese, The Super Nachos from the Mexican van by the Other and The Halloumi cone from Oli's. 

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

18 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The hippy chippy was not enjoyable this year, it's dissapointment led me to try the pakora from the Indian place opposite next to the little raised area the pakora and mayo chutney was fantastic. Went three times and got extra pakora each time.

Another shout out for how shite the hippy chippy was this year 

last year it was triple the size & far better quality for the same price 

one to be avoided next year 

As much as the halloumi itself was quite nice and the garlic sauce was spot on, I thought the cones by the pyramid were over rated, chock full of slightly watery salad with a couple bits of cheese thrown on top, not exactly worth raving about 

5 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Wasn't as good as previous years, to much concentration on the flavoured chips and not as big portions.

I didn't really start eating properly until the Saturday apart from a Square pie after just forgetting to eat/getting there late Wednesday to not do a proper scout of the site.

But anyway, Fluffy Rock Cafe came up trumps again for breakfast but is sadly getting more and more popular :P, the real sausage place in the other field (yellow and red sign, forget what its called), breakfast meal deal was great (£4 for Egg Bacon Roll and  an Orange Juice/Tea or  Coffee).

The burger place in West Holts next to the Brothers Bar wasn't too bad, but when i had that I just need food in my stomach rather than alcohol.  The Salt Beef Bagel place on the drag left hand drag from Other to Pyramid, was a miracle, can't believe I haven't seen this idea at festivals before tbh. Then I went to Meatcure on the right hand road from Other to Pyramid on the sunday and had their pulled pork roll, which was a little hot for me but otherwise nice.

20 hours ago, MrZigster said:

That is one photogenic burger. Almost too perfect. Where did it come from?

I'm another fan of the jerk chicken place just down (and to the right a bit iirc) from Williams Green. Close to where I was working I must have eaten from there at least four times. The chicken was better than the pork I thought. Messed up once by managing to drop BOTH forks I had procured after I was well away from any food stalls and ended up eating the rice & bean with head tilted back and fingers.

Also had a similar amount of Sunshine Smoothies.

It was very photogenic, very proud of it lol. It was up in Park, quite near the stage bang next to a jerk chicken place actually. Was £11 for that and fries, didn't think it was too bad to be honest and it filled me up.

Oh I never got jerk chicken and it's usually my staple. I love it. Ha eating it the traditional way then :)

P.S I love the avatar!

22 hours ago, Quark said:

As usual I spent most of the festival stuffing my fat face (I kind of see it as a food roadshow with some bands on in the background).  Two stand outs for me were:

Annie Mae's Mac & Cheese  - had the Don with bacon and basil, bloody lovely.  A little heavy, but if you're after some comforting stodge you can't go wrong.

The Po' Boys stall opposite Buzz Stop.  Had their beef brisket po'boy and it was feckin' amazing.

The mac and cheese was awesome. I had the don twice, once near the pyramid and once in the acoustic field. Both stalls were equally as fab.

Cake in the place next to Croissant Neuf was nice as well. Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. Husband had 2 slices with his cider :rolleyes: 

The paella stall in William's Green is a staple for me, always tastes fresh and fills me up. Think there are a couple of others dotted about too.

Also, first time I tried something from the Soulful Food Company. Had a couple of meals from there - standard Chilli Con Carne and also Moroccan Tagine - really tasty, healthy and satisfying.

4 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Not a fan of the green peppers Nal? Love a pepper me.

Shout out to the chorizo they were using this year. Very tasty.

Chorizo was lovely yeah. I love a good pepper, but not green ones. Unripe and just....urgh. Only a splattering of them though so happy with the paella. Nice the way you could get a small portion too if you were on the run.