security at reading

Guest thoumasked

does anyone know what going on this year? how did FR respond to last years complaints?

have they changed the service? it was a load of bollocks last year. in 6 readings its the only time ive ever felt unsafe and like nothing was being done.

Security are mainly based on keeping things under control on the gate, main road and in the arena, a job I think they did pretty well. Entrance from the campsite to the arena and back was MUCH slower than it used to be though, and that's something that really needs to be dealt with.

I make no excuse for a (relatively) small number of morons (there were still hundreds) but the police were shocking.

security in the campsite this year will all be fully trained, the same qualification bouncers at clubs have to do. Due to cost and time reasons this has not been done before.

The arena staff will still be mostly recruited locally.

• 4 months later...

The security in the campsite was a joke!

They were doing drugs all the time and boasting about it. Tried ejecting people for stupid reasons (a gas stove fell over, making a camp fire out of wood that was "too big", etc...).

Saw some guy abusing this poor girl calling her every abusive name possible just because she tried going in to the arena with a can of beer!

They are there to calm things down, not make things worse.

Thats what you get for getting the cheapest firm you can find from Glasgow!

They were doing drugs all the time and boasting about it. Tried ejecting people for stupid reasons (a gas stove fell over, making a camp fire out of wood that was "too big", etc...).

Saw some guy abusing this poor girl calling her every abusive name possible just because she tried going in to the arena with a can of beer!

I've been going for the past 7 years without fail and have always been lucky that I've never had any trouble whatsoever, so hopefully that continues this year.

I've heard various stories tho and it is all down to w*nkers causing trouble for the sake of it. Generally middle class types who have been away from mummy and daddy for a few days, thinking it's cool to be anti-authority and rebel against anything regardless of any reasoning behind it.

They just don't care that they can ruin the festival for other people by acting like twats. When I hear the stories each year there is always some beacon of hope in my head that they get into some serious traffic accident on the way home, or that they get home to some terrible family news. So there is always hope there.

I feel sorry for the security. Ok some of them don't seem to be trained or know what they are doing, but hopefully that will improve this year.

What makes it worse is that when security actually do their job and deal with one of the twats, then the other twats see it happening and get involved.

They just don't care that they can ruin the festival for other people by acting like twats. When I hear the stories each year there is always some beacon of hope in my head that they get into some serious traffic accident on the way home, or that they get home to some terrible family news. So there is always hope there.