This year's 'Everything Fringe' Thread

Guest andyblack

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we did showaddywaddy for 2 years in a row edmund.

for those with the nme, turn to page 12 to see matt horne rave about minnaars, he's right, they did rip foals off, but theres no doubt busy hands is a cracking tune, though it's a shame they didnt print jeni's artwork!!!

(minnaars will indeed play our firebug party).

Edited by andyblack

I've seen Minnaars a few times now (supporting other bands) and 2 things have struck me

1) They come across as being very arrogant - feel free to correct me, it's just my perception

2) Their sound is so derivative that they may as well be a Foals tribute band.

That's not to say that they're rubbish because musically they're not bad, it's just they could really do with finding their own sound and identity.

they're the least arrogant band i think we've dealt with for some time i think. without mentioning any names, there was one band last year we'll never work with again. minnaars have been total bliss in comparison. they're doing pretty well, it's a bit harsh to claim minnaars are just a foals rip off, both bands have been pretty close for several years. minnaars are doing well, we've heard the new stuff they've just finished with tom, it'll turn some heads we reckon. we reckon they'll make for a fun night.

Edited by andyblack

• 4 weeks later...

there will be more formal official fringe line up announcements to come. we've sorted 4 party venues, we're still working on the comedy gig. it's proving a bit of a headace. 2 parties so far have full line ups, and we're still hunting for financial sponsors, should anyone be interested???

we're working on it, it's proving to be the most work yet, but should work out to be the largest and best fringe yet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Fancy sponsoring an open top bus???????

Aha, as you all may or may not know, we have two lovely open top buses to cart all 1500 fringe festival punters from venue to venue across leicester city centre during the night of the warm up parties.

Previously, leicester tourism people have very kindly lent us their open top buses. And sadly, those buses no longer operate and have been sold off.

Thankfully

We've got 2 more OPEN TOP BUSES for 2009.

but theres the problem!!!!!

They cost a lot of money. over £1000 to run the buses from 7pm till midnight for 2009 warm up parties.

Therefore, we're appealing for businesses and companies to help us sponsor the cost of these buses. The fringe festival works to raise over £4000 for the local hospice for the terminally ill, we really dont want to have to reduce our ticket takings by £1000 to pay for these buses.

So is there anyone, who may read this, who might manage or work for a company interested in helping a brilliant local project.

Then please get in touch at

sswfringefestival@gmail.com

We can offer you a fantastic sponsorhip package, including a website getting up to 5000 hits a week, promotional posters all across leicestershire and the east midlands, and association with an ace event which is a recommended night out in both mixmag and last years dj magazine. exposure and logos on posters, fliers, promotional materials, event promotion to an audience of up to 2,000 people (plus passing trade).

oh, and you'll have done your good deal for the year!!!

can anyone help at all? all offers gratefully recieved.

Edited by andyblack

• 2 weeks later...

we've landed the bus sponsors, and the buses are booked !!!

to celebrate passing the 500 member mark of our facebook group, and also fast heading towards 200 twitter followers, we've stacked up our myspace tunes with music from first three major confirmed artists

minnaars : busy hands

maybeshewill : co-conspirator

autohype : disco below

www.myspace.com/summersundaefringefestival

we'll add more bands in to the player, as we confirm more acts in the next couple of weeks.

ps, we're looking at a potential 8 warm up parties this year......5 venues confirmed, 3 await final approval.

pps, oh yeah, we've booked autohype, the first signings to size records. we went to see them play a backstreet club, and felt like the last people to find something out at the back of a club rammed with 400 20 somethings going mental. so we booked them tout suite, they'll headline our warm up party in the shed this year (yep more new venues also!!!). we think you'll like them.

pps, keep an eye out for minnaars in mixmag in a month or so.

Edited by andyblack

Much as it grieves me to shower him with praise, Mr Black has pulled off something of a coup for one of the Thursday night warm up parties.

However for various contractual reasons, he can't announce it until the end of next month. It must be eating him up - and provide endless pleasure for the rest of us in the process watching him desperately trying to keep his mouth shut and his fingers away from the keyboard....

sadly, for once, im actually not going to say a thing. and theres only about 6 people who know full stop (apart from said musical outfit).

and actually, for once, (remarkable as it may seem) I really like the concept of keeping my mouth shut and making people wait.....

we'll announce at the end of june. it's very good indeed. and should get us some serious press this year.

in the mean time, not only is huw stephens playing `with a k not a c`, the forthcoming next minnaars release, and maybeshewill are on a sell out tour, but erm, my secret headliner really is a serious coup....did i mention this?

just to keep you guessing....

Edited by andyblack

sadly not kasabian. it would never be allowed. not only would i not want it, but they tried a surprise gig in the charlotte once, and the police stopped it.

the kasabianca monkeys just sold out 3 nights at DMH in little more than a couple of hours (around 7000 tickets). given their ahem unique fanbase, if i put them in a 250 capacity pub, im going to have the modern day equivalent of a hillsborough stadium environment as everyone tries to get in, and thats not really fair on you lot, the punters.

you'll all be happy circa June 23rd.

Edited by andyblack

sadly not kasabian. it would never be allowed. not only would i not want it, but they tried a surprise gig in the charlotte once, and the police stopped it.

the kasabianca monkeys just sold out 3 nights at DMH in little more than a couple of hours (around 7000 tickets). given their ahem unique fanbase, if i put them in a 250 capacity pub, im going to have the modern day equivalent of a hillsborough stadium environment as everyone tries to get in, and thats not really fair on you lot, the punters.

you'll all be happy circa June 23rd.