This year's 'Everything Fringe' Thread

Guest andyblack

it's that time again, and we're beginning the planning for 2009.

so anyone with any ideas for next year is invited to voice them, after all, increasingly, the parties are for you special people, and with 1500 punters in 2008, erm, i've got a challenge to deliver something bigger and better.

so erm, anyone got any brilliant wish list of things they'd love to do or see? i'm particularly keen to get a bit back to the party theme a bit more. think top of the pops circa 1984? so we'll be bringing dj's back to the parties, and possibly re-examing the dance event option. but any other points?

eg,

- a fancy dress theme?

- a spoken word gig

- poetry?

- more party bands?

- an uncle frank singalong?

- different venues?

- drinks promotions?

- a party theme for each venue?

comments welcome, and now is the time to shout them !

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who saw two or three really good bands at this years event, i'd be keen on keeping the same quality level of bands and atmosphere.

Why not expand the fringe to during the normal weekend? similar kind of shows to Fight Like Apes playing in the charlotte on saturday night at midnight, you'd probably be able to get the bands who played during the day to stay a bit later on and then it could carry on late into the night for those still willing to party! you can also charge more for a whole weekend wristband, which would benefit LOROS!

I'd really have no interest in seeing bands after the main festival has closed each night. If I've got any get up and go left I head straight for the bars.

I think extended it would be a bit silly. No one is paid professionally for the fringe so keep what you've got and refine that. Wasn't the Musician not exactly full last year on the Thursday?

crikey, dont give richard more things to pressure me about!!!!

we probably wouldnt run another gig night ourselves over the festival weekend, because, it pretty takes much a year just to sort the thursday night, and i seem to find myself utterly battered by 11pm on the friday, and then falling out of the lansdowne by 2am, so i owe it to my liver to maintain this tradition!!!.

the venues were a little less packed this year, mostly because we increased the level of venues, and despite a notable increase in ticket sales, there was over capacity. something i've already moved to improve for 2009, to bring the number of local attendees (ie, not neccesarily main festival goers) to a higher level.

we may well, look to find some benefits around the city for fringe festival wristband holders over the weekend from various places, which would be useful.

thanks to those who have already sent comments on. if anyone would prefer to email us, we'll happily take comments on

sswfringefestival*gmail.com

replace the * with a @

both good and bad. anything you enjoyed or hated. do you want the buses back, what did we fail to provide, etc? etc?

feel free to email us any comments whatsoever.

cheers

andy

• 2 months later...
Why don't you use 'The Screening' for the 'Fringe' they have a really big fan base and were filling The Charlotte before it closed ... recently a fan came all the way from Japan to watch them play in Leicester... one fan is flying over from Los Angeles to just to watch them play live in London this month!

The screening have played SSW three times and the warm up parties at least once but probably twice before (at the Charlotte). They've had huge exposure from SSW & the Fringe which would be better being spread around to some new bands this year. They've had their turn.

My suggestion today would be www.myspace.com/maximumdangerproject who, frankly Mr Haswelley, would be a bloody shoe in for the main festival let alone the fringe. They turned up today on pineapster out of the blue and are not noiseniks. Anybody that is down with the SSW vibe would have no problems with this lot sexying it up for half hour in afternoon slot. I am not their manager.

aha many thanks, we have indeed already featured the screening, who have played both the 2007 and 2008 fringe festivals, both at the charlotte.

and a fine band they are too. though i am led to belive they are paying mr needham (the engineer who mixed the kiler's mr brightside) handsomly for his somewhat costly services.

There are lots of other good Leicester bands that I like these are just a few.....

The Boobytraps .... http://www.myspace.com/boobytrapsofficial

Razmataz .... http://www.myspace.com/razmataz07

The Fazed .... http://www.myspace.com/fazedtheband

The Heroes .... http://www.myspace.com/theheroesuk

Andy Wright has not been The Screenings manager for a few months.....they have U.S.A management at the moment and the band have a signed contract with Mark Needham.

to be honest, we probably wouldnt feature the screening again, solely because it's time to give someone else a turn, and like the main festival i think the same band twice is enough (so far we've done love ends disaster!, the dirty backbeats and the screening twice).

but we will most certainly look at all the others you've listed (i went to see the heroes only recently). I've already fired them to steve (my partner in crime) and set him to task.

the newly revamped fringe website is here

www.summersundaefringe.com

the newly revamped myspace is here

www.myspace.com/summersundaefringefestival

we are......(admittedly very slowly), wading our way though the 110 bands who have so far offered their services for the warm up parties, and 2 headliners are already booked. anyone who hasnt already can easily contact us through our main website, our myspace, the facebook group, or pineapster (which is www.pineapster.com). we'd welcome contact from anyone interested in playing the fringe festival (or more importantly sponsoring it!!).

heres an example of something out of the blue which has caught our ears already (thanks to the BBC's dean jackson), and we really really like.

http://www.myspace.com/frontiersofficial

look up the bottom track on their myspace player. i've forgotten the name, but it's been stuck in my head for two weeks now.

Edited by andyblack

familiar faces was the one which stuck in my head. w're all off to see frontiers on the 21st at the liars club to see what they're like.

mr jones and i witnessed michael jackson's beat it in firebug on friday night, with members of maybeshewill and minnars playing guitar, bass and drums, whilst tom forward russia added his excellent vocals. most odd.

On a day of headline announcements the Summer Sundae Fringe Festival is no different.

We are pleased to accounce the first 2 acts that will be playing the Summer Sundae warm up parties on Thursday 13th August.

Minnaars (www.myspace.com/minnaars)

&

Maybeshewill (www.myspace.com/maybeshewont)

We will be announcing more acts and confirmed venues soon in what will be the biggest Summer Sundae Fringe Festival to date!

Keep right up to date with the latest from the SSWFF by joining our:

Myspace page (www.myspace.com/summersundaefringefestival)

Twitter (sswfringefest)

Facebook (Summer Sundae Fringe Festival 2009)

also visit our website at www.summersundaefringe.com

Keep em peeled!

I posted this in its own thread but it seems appropriate to post here also.

We are pleased to accounce the first 2 acts that will be playing the Summer Sundae warm up parties on Thursday 13th August.

Minnaars (www.myspace.com/minnaars)

&

Maybeshewill (www.myspace.com/maybeshewont)

We will be announcing more acts and confirmed venues soon in what will be the biggest Summer Sundae Fringe Festival to date!

Keep right up to date with the latest from the SSWFF by joining our:

Myspace page (www.myspace.com/summersundaefringefestival)

Twitter (sswfringefest)

Facebook (Summer Sundae Fringe Festival 2009)

also visit our website at www.summersundaefringe.com

Keep em peeled!

minnaars are a bit of a leicester supergroup, featuring members of tired irie, computerman and the traces. all established bands in their own right. theres a radio interview with them here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/art...s_feature.shtml

first self titled debut ep was produced by tom woodhead from forward russia.

it's set all sorts of press waxing lyrical, and lead track busy hands has had airplay from dean jackson at bbc east mids, zane lowe at radio 1, rob da bank at radio 1, huw stephens at radio 1, tom robinson and steve lamacq at 6music, and jon kennedy and matthew horne (gavin from gavin and stacey) at xfm.

they just played matt horne's new club night for xfm in london only last week.

maybeshewill are equally impressive, and played the festival last year, to widespread applaud.

they've had one well recieved album out,

drowned in sound gave it 8/10 for starters

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/13356/reviews/3473862

and significantly toured the UK and Japan in 2008, playing with Kyte and 65daysofstatic in the process. they're busy recording their second album, are also very generously playing the fringe.

more to come in the next few weeks!!!!!