Your Glastonbury Rituals

Guest 18Alex18

Right, I always like to start a good discussion/debate...anything to get people talking. :)

Seeing as this will be my first year at Glasto and having heard people say "you can't fit it all in" and "I've been going for 7 years and not seen it all" it would be exciting and useful to hear what other people just have to do every year. :)

In a way - what keeps you coming back for more - not in a general sense of Glastonbury, but once you arrive, what must you see again and again, every year, and never get tired of.

Do you have to have breakfast at the same cafe every year? Why? Is there a story behind it or is it just a ritual? :rolleyes:

What places must you visit, (may it be fields, stalls, bars etc.) which complete your experience.

I know by describing it as a routine, that I'll be inundated with answers of:

"Go with the flow"

"Don't plan a thing"

"Just wander aimlessly"

These answers may capture the nature of the Glastonbury experience, but this isn't so much an advice thread as a 'personal favourites' thread. So be constructive, imaginative and maybe drop in some related anecdotes about what makes it such a special place to you. ;)

There's still a few months to go, so a few feel good stories mixed in with some information about good places to visit would be a good place to pass the time and as "you can't see it all" maybe even some veterans will learn a thing or to about what they've been missing!

What makes your weekend?

What sort of things do you do every single year, without fail?

Why is a certain place special?

What would be your one thing to advise everyone to see?

Do you have a certain routine that you follow every morning?

Alex :)

Edited by 18Alex18

What makes my weekend ?

A sunny afternoon lounging about at the jazz stage, with a pint of brothers or 4, with some good mates

What sort of things do i do every year?

brothers cider

explore the site wednesday

try and catch a film

get lost and meet new people

Why are certain places special?

Not sure i could think of one place thats more special than another, just the whole site

saying that the stone circle is a must and has a great atmosphere 24/7

Must see?

some of the circus acts

witness one pyramid/other stage headlining in the thick of it

Morning routine?

not really

baby wipe bath

go find some fatty food to try and ease the hangover

start to drink again i guess

its not so much a routine willing to bend it, its just what seems to happen

What makes your weekend?

The atmosphere on Wednesday/Thursday night.

Watch sunrise on Stone Circle, or at least try to!

The whole festival, from the top of the hill at the back of the Park field!

What makes your weekend?

The atmosphere on thursday

Well the first one was last year, but I think getting a pain au chocolat at the

acoustic cafe as soon as we unpack the tent will be a ritual every year

The Acoustic area, lovely little intimate area with a relaxed vibe. A real contrast from

all the main stages

See at least 1 band on the acoustic stage. Saw gilbert o sullivan headline and some random

acoustic band too.

Wake up, Mouthwash, go down to site, have a burger!

Cheers,

BlackHole2006

I've been going to Glastonbury with The Workers Beer Company for the last few years and most of us arrive on the Tuesday evening. Our village where we stay (just outside the perimetre fence) has it's own bar with lovely cheap beer. So the first thing after you've put you're tent up is to all meet in there for a beer. For most of us we haven't seen each other since The Reading Festival of the previous year so it's so great to drink with old friends again!! Every hour or so as a new coach load of people arrive there are screams of happiness as youy see someone you know. The air is electric and the atmosphere is wonderful!

As for rituals for the festivals, well I used to always go down to The Leftfield for a few on Thursday.......

I would always go and see Mark and Sue up at Sams Sauna. And have a look for Steve and his caravan instalation in the greenfields (last year he was in Croissant Neuf) Do a little shopping and hang with the hippies in the greenfields and then just take in the chilled vibe that is The Glastonbury Festival :P

I've been going since the eighty's my rituals are as follows

Get there as early as humanly possible on the Weds

Set the tent up, and always walk the whole site, very excited this year as I'm taking 3 virgins, can not wait to introduce them to the delights of Glastonbury.

Thursday always attend a board meet BBQ, followed by meet by Jazz World, last year it was Wacky Races always sample a pear. Then used to head for Leftfield (no longer standing)

Rest of the days anything goes, except I have to go to the circus on a Sunday for a few hours (tradition)

I love sitting next to Joe Strummers stone in LV or Shangrila as it is now called. He gave so much to the festival and its good to sit there are pay him a little respect

What makes your weekend?

I love the Mexican waves and the shouting when setting your tent up. always gives me goosebumps, and the view of the festival from the hill of doom pedestrian gate C

Ohh God this is hard, I would say the theater fields, just strolling through you see the most fantastic array of performers, street artists, quirky dressed up creations and it always makes me smile

Get up, go for a wee (bit like being at home) try and play hunt the programme, find it after lots of cursing, read bits of it and try and plan the day (this never pans out) gather what I need for the day, then head off for a milk shake or a slush for hydration.

So endeth my Glasto

Edited by jollynolly

Our village where we stay (just outside the perimetre fence) has it's own bar with lovely cheap beer. So the first thing after you've put you're tent up is to all meet in there for a beer. For most of us we haven't seen each other since The Reading Festival of the previous year so it's so great to drink with old friends again!! Every hour or so as a new coach load of people arrive there are screams of happiness as youy see someone you know. The air is electric and the atmosphere is wonderful!

Our normal ritual for Glasto is...

Setting off ridiculously early on the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to be there for the grand opening.

Make our way to the usual pitch,

Crack open a cold beer, then set up home.

Sleep for a couple of hours

Grab something to eat.

Go for a wander.

Then head over to the stone circle to watch the sunset and all the glory of Glastonbury unfold before my eyes.

After that.... I just go with what ever takes my fancy!!!

Our normal ritual for Glasto is...

Setting off ridiculously early on the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to be there for the grand opening.

Make our way to the usual pitch,

Crack open a cold beer, then set up home.