WEATHER 2009 !

Guest sdaveak47

This isn't meant as the weather thread...just more of a discussion of when would a weather thread would be acceptable !!!

Anyone know when metcheck turn on the glastonbury guess machine ??

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without coming across all WoW I think last year's weather was far from fantastic. The rain on Thursday night was pretty biblical at times. For the early part of the evening I was up at The Park at Guilty Pleasures in the Stonebridge Bar and the walk back to Dragon in the pissing down rain was pretty depressing.

It rained quite heavily on Friday afternoon as well and it didn't dry underfoot properly until mid-afternoon on Saturday. That may be ok for some people but it's far from a dust bowl scorcher we all deserve. This year maybe...

And anyone that says rain and mud brings out the best in Glastonbury is clearly deranged, possibly beyond saving. Or maybe I'm just getting old and value sitting down too much.

*dad dances*

Well last year was a classic situation. In the Leftfield tent on Tuesday night for King Blues, Pie Tasters Et Al. still in just shorts T Shirts and flip flops after the great weather in the day. We were right in the middle of the tent so didn't realise the weather had changed so dramatically! Was not cool trecking in the rain and mud back to the tent that night, I was in a fowl mood, I thought this year was going to be different.

But beyond that, I managed 4 out of 5 days in the flip flops (they may be flip flips) so I would call it a successful year in that respect. Hopefully the grand slam this year...

Langdalian FACTS about the weather.

• Rain does NOT make the 'Glasto spirit' better. The spirit is always there, but after 5 days of struggling through the mud, it takes its toll.

• Sun makes everyone happier, except those allergic to it

• I genuinely want it to be nice this year - some efesters are truly lovely people and I hope it's nice for them. Not a scorcher, as I don't believe that's popular opinion (though it would be mine :lol:) just nice and sunny and - most importantly - DRY

• Rain is w**k at Glasto. Do not argue with me here - this is fact

• Paths are important. IF it's wet, they are crucial. Love the paths.

• People who jump around in the mud are only doing it to get onto BBC 3 and you should have nothing but contempt for them.

• The Park Area is LETHAL when wet.

Don’t get me wrong, id love a sunny year again but looking back, I have to say the spirit of Glastonbury seemed much stronger in the rain. In my opinion the thunderstorm of 05 brought an electric atmosphere with the lightning, I remember a group of us watching the storm early hours of the morning mashed out of our faces, clutching litres of cider, thinking, WOW! But at the same time we were shitting it!!! This was my first year and I was amazed at how people just didn’t care, despite the rain everyone was still in high spirits, the banter was better and its always fun to laugh at the poor sod who bailed harsh. I know people who said 2005 was their first and last Glastonbury but personally I had no regrets about going, it is still my favourite year even though it was festivals worst weather. ... And again in 07, I will always remember dancing among a crowd of thousands, knee deep in mud, being pelted with torrential rain feeling like the whole crowd were holding up their fingers to the weather, pledging their dedication to Glastonbury. So bring it on... sun, storm or rain! IM THERE! x

Without coming across all WoW I think last year's weather was far from fantastic. The rain on Thursday night was pretty biblical at times. For the early part of the evening I was up at The Park at Guilty Pleasures in the Stonebridge Bar and the walk back to Dragon in the pissing down rain was pretty depressing.

It rained quite heavily on Friday afternoon as well and it didn't dry underfoot properly until mid-afternoon on Saturday. That may be ok for some people but it's far from a dust bowl scorcher we all deserve. This year maybe...

And anyone that says rain and mud brings out the best in Glastonbury is clearly deranged, possibly beyond saving. Or maybe I'm just getting old and value sitting down too much.

*dad dances*

I have *whisper it* good feelings about this year's weather. The good/bad weather years tend to go in groups (97, 98 - bad / 99, 00, 02, 03 - generally good / 04, 05, 07 - generally bad) and last year broke that bad run. I'm hoping that this continues, and improves on last year.

Plus, its been a colder winter than we've had for some time, which some might say holds good omens for the summer. I want a rain free fest!

Edited by mario man

As long as it is dry and there is grass for you to site on I'll be happy! I didn't go last year due to money issues but I was very jealous of the amount of grass I could see when I was watching it on TV!

2007 was muddy, but it didn't ruin the festival for me! And I developed some good leg muscles from dragging myself through the mud! Every cloud and all that!

Don’t get me wrong, id love a sunny year again but looking back, I have to say the spirit of Glastonbury seemed much stronger in the rain. In my opinion the thunderstorm of 05 brought an electric atmosphere with the lightning, I remember a group of us watching the storm early hours of the morning mashed out of our faces, clutching litres of cider, thinking, WOW! But at the same time we were shitting it!!! This was my first year and I was amazed at how people just didn’t care, despite the rain everyone was still in high spirits, the banter was better and its always fun to laugh at the poor sod who bailed harsh. I know people who said 2005 was their first and last Glastonbury but personally I had no regrets about going, it is still my favourite year even though it was festivals worst weather. ... And again in 07, I will always remember dancing among a crowd of thousands, knee deep in mud, being pelted with torrential rain feeling like the whole crowd were holding up their fingers to the weather, pledging their dedication to Glastonbury. So bring it on... sun, storm or rain! IM THERE! x

I agree, but on the Thursday, something happened which wouldn't have in better weather. Seize the Day were meant to be playing on an outdoor stage. Due to the rain, it was moved to the Tiny Tea Tent and was nearly an hour late, due to the band having to set up the equipment. Some young ravey looking lads who came in to escape the rain sat behind us and asked what the band were like. I didn't want to scare them of by saying "Folk", so I just said "they're really good, you'll enjoy them. By the end of the gig, they were covered in seize the day stickers and dancing like nutters! The gig was really magical, being in such a small place. The lads were even shaking the band's hands by the end; but were it not for the weather they probably would not have ever seen them. So, every cloud, eh? :D

:D:P:lol:

I can see William of Walworth lurking!!!!!!!

<Shameless bump to tempt WOW into the weather thread - will he take the bait?>