Favourite Glastonbury of the 00's?

Guest alframsey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

easy, 2002 by a very long country mile.

faithless dropping not just one of the best glasto sets, but one of the greatest sets of all time.

and then throw in Doves, White Stripes, Beta Band, Orbital, BRMC, Elbow, Spearhead and the legend that is Roger Waters.

for god sake, even Coldplay were quite good that year - or maybe that was just the natural euphoria lasting from the faithless gig

hands down!!

In order:

Best: 2003 - scorching weather, amazing line up (REM, Radiohead, Moby...)

2nd: 2000 - yes it was chaotic but the last of the "old-style" Glastonbury's and lots of fun

3rd: 2008 - I think the good weather was such a relief, and it had a good atmosphere

4th: 2002 - dry, excitement after the year off, amazing friday of Ash, Faithless, Coldplay, only let down by Stereophonics headlining the Saturday

5th: 2004 - a strange mix of sunburn & mudbath, plus the ticket chaos beforehand

6th: 2005 - bad lineup, bad weather, bad times

7th and Worst: 2007 - generally poor line up and poor sound, and truly atrocious weather, can't think many who went truly enjoyed that!

I've done three:

2003 - REM fantastic, Radiohead good, surprise favourites were Yes and Arthur Brown. Polyphonic Spree were a complete hoot. Weather pretty decent as I recall.

2005 - suffered Codplay, missed White Stripes but was pleasantly surprised by the Killers and Stereo MCs. Good to see The Beat too. Weather awful and made life heavy going, ended up missing a lot of acts.

2007 - tended to avoid the bigger stages, though Brakes and Maximo Park were good on Other. Gogol Bordello massively misplaced on Pyramid, the Hold Steady perfect in John Peel. Kasabian rocked, but the WHo were massively disappointing. Poor weather compounded with so many more people made even heavier going than 2005.

Not easy to name a favourite - especially as I was in (slightly) different company each time, which always makes a difference. Purely in musical and weather terms 2003 was the best of the bunch.

Edited by Sipperana

and i know this is about the noughties but IMHO none of them have got close to 94 for me (much as i have loved each one in its different way (with maybe the exception of 07)).

Glorious, and i mean GLORIOUS, weather. The Levellers playing my favorite Glasto set ever. And RATM, Beastie Boys, World Party (an awesome gig in the summer sun), Weller, Beck, Nick Cave, Orbital, Radiohead, Blur, Oasis (in the only year they were any good - and not just the Big G, but musically as a whole), Pulp, Peter Gabriel and the awesome Man In Black!!

just a sensational, eclectic, feel good line up.

there have been many other highlights along the way but Glasto would have to pull out all the stops to top that one for me!! :huh:

Edited by Tugger2k

and i know this is about the noughties but IMHO none of them have got close to 94 for me (much as i have loved each one in its different way (with maybe the exception of 07)).

Glorious, and i mean GLORIOUS, weather. The Levellers playing my favorite Glasto set ever. And RATM, Beastie Boys, World Party (an awesome gig in the summer sun), Weller, Beck, Nick Cave, Orbital, Radiohead, Blur, Oasis (in the only year they were any good - and not just the Big G, but musically as a whole), Pulp, Peter Gabriel and the awesome Man In Black!!

just a sensational, eclectic, feel good line up.

there have been many other highlights along the way but Glasto would have to pull out all the stops to top that one for me!! :huh:

Watching The Prodigy on telly in Dublin that year is the reason i went to my first Glasters in 1997.

94/95 is the festival's best couple of years ever IMO. Totally vintage.

Edited by Tugger2k

My favourite glastonbury was 2008. My first, scorching weather, (the only time I was genuinely happy about getting sunburn). Amazing line up. Manu Chao, the best set I have ever been to. Sitting in the acoustic stage listening to some random band playing there, the sun beaming down on the tent with a coke in my hand. (15 year olds can't drink cider :huh:), literally just sums up the euphoria of the whole weekend. It's like another world, and to top it all off, the atmosphere was incredible. Really made me completely forget about all the shit going on in the "real" world.

Cheers,

Blackhole2006

the prodg were 95 werent they? :huh:

i whole heartedly agree. 93 i was just to dumbstruck to take it all in and so probably didnt have as much fun as i should have (although i do remember seeing the velvets thinking that i'd never see anything that good or important again(how wrong i was)) - just kept walking round the site saying to my mates 'oh my effing god, this is brilliant'

made up for it the following 2 though. its still an amazing place, and i still love it, but the rush of my 1st 3 (combined with the fact that at all three the temperature was 80 degrees or there abouts and the combined rainfall was 0.000000000000000000000000000000001mm) i dont think will ever be beaten :)

It's REALLY close but here goes:

2000 Was utterly magical! I came totally unprepaired with almost no money, no food, just some booze and some inapropriate clothing, and some great friends. We saw the likes of The Chemical Brothers, Leftfield and David Bowie, and after we felt like we could conquer the world!!

2007 (The rainy one) was so amazing, I met a girl, we fell in love and had a fairytale romance :lol: (It's all over now but I was on cloud 9 the whole time) We're still good friends.

2008 Totally awesome! I cannot describe how much fun I had, I saw one band (Manu Chao) and met many many enchanted souls

2004 This one has the least memories for me, I took 2 pictures of a wall (it made sense to me at the time) and spent almost all of it out of my tree, I don't remember leaving at all!! Bit of a blur to say the least.....Oh and there was a girl called Lisa who I never saw again even though it turned out that she lived two roads away! Go figure!

As for 2009, naturally it's going to be epic! I'm jumping in feet first with a big smile on my face! :P

I'd like to hear from people who've been to every festival in the decade on this thread.

FWIW Ive been to 4 of the 7 festivals in the 00's so ain't got the full picture, innit.

Best one for me was prolly the last one 2008. First time I ever saw grass on the Other Stage field. Was totally shocked.

:lol::PB)

I'd like to hear from people who've been to every festival in the decade on this thread.

FWIW Ive been to 4 of the 7 festivals in the 00's so ain't got the full picture, innit.

Best one for me was prolly the last one 2008. First time I ever saw grass on the Other Stage field. Was totally shocked.

:)B):lol: