Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen last nights episode yet but got to agree with Spindles, I'm just not feeling it that much this time.

Love Peter Capaldi and I kinda like the way he's taken the Doctor character but...meh... it's lost it's 'essential viewing' element it had previously.As long as I catch it before the following Saturday I'm happy were as previously I had to watch it soon as possible.

Michelle Gomez bossed the first two episodes though, she was mesmerizing on screen.I'm sure I read that River Song is coming back as well?

Well, for me this week's episode was a real turnaround.  Genuinely frightening (for a younger audience) at times, with clear nods to the classic aliens whilst being a variation on the found footage genre.  The final reveal was one of the best things I've seen effects wise in the series even in it's simplicity, the episode very much reminded me of the classic 'Ark in space', which is about the best Doctor Who story they ever put to film (there are a few really great ones from the Pertwee and Baker era that stand out as classic sci fi stories in their own right).

I think my main problem with the last couple of series has been some dodgy writing at times but I thought this was a winner.

17 hours ago, themuel said:

Yeah I've just been waiting for someone else :) did you enjoy it? 

I did, my husband's heartbroken :(

I've warmed to the new Doctor - I was hoping for a link to earlier episodes though.

I hope there's more to it than this week's episode.

5 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Am I missing something due to not watching classic Who?

I'm not feeling it.Really looking forward to Gallifrey and the Timelords next week though.

I never did either (saw the odd one here and there as a child) but this series is really getting me excited. 

Capaldi is very close to becoming my favourite, and I never thought I would say that. 

it took me a while to get into that episode but once it was revealed then it made it a solid episode building on the last one to the series finale. can't wait for it, but am fearing that they will muck it up somehow as they tend to do.

think although they have built upon stories this series and then had a few times where they didn't execute the ending of those stories too well (in my opinion) its the first one in a while where its kept me interested throughout, as its almost seemed a bit darker than the last few series. its also kept me hooked as they have thrown a few curveballs in there at times as well.

I just thought that Capaldi's solo performance was great and the projection of his voice brought to mind similar monologues by Tom Baker, a doctor who was more than a little fond of waxing lyrical at times.  More of that, more dark storylines and a little less humour (not a total removal, just not leaning on it as heavily as they did last series and at times in this) and I will be very happy.

I have never been unhappy with the casting of Capaldi as the doctor, but some of the writing has not been what I'd hope for.  I grew up with classic storylines from Terrance Dicks and Terry Nation, many of which have stuck with me for life, so I have both been spoiled and led to expect high standards.

It's probably not a popular opinion to say that the writing was better in the Russell T Davies era, but thinking back to some of the Ecclestone and Tennant episodes I honestly think that the series wouldn't have had the rebirth it did if some of these later stories had been in those seasons.

Really well made episode, very classy indeed, the closing scene of the Doctor and the Tardis reboot was brilliantly atmospheric and I can't say enough good things about seeing a fully functional factory fresh Tardis in action.

The script seemed to address some of the problem with Clara for me, being too much like the Doctor, rather than providing a counterpoint to ground him.

Maisie Williams finally looked a little more believable, she was quite wooden in earlier episodes, I thought.

Im not a massive Doctor Who watcher, I drift in and out but I noticed last night, they said a pretty easy way of getting around the regenerations being used up when it was said how many regenerations did we give you again, and then later on the doctor saying death is like the flu here, he's obviously gunna travel back and just get given more regenerations. Anyone else have a thought on that or notice they leaned towards that?

It has actually already happened, when Matt Smith's Doctor died the time lords somehow gave him more regenerations as a way to avoid the question of running out and Capaldi was introduced.

Before that episode the concept had been broached before, with the Master finding a loophole to return after he had run out of regenerations.  

20 hours ago, Spindles said:

It has actually already happened, when Matt Smith's Doctor died the time lords somehow gave him more regenerations as a way to avoid the question of running out and Capaldi was introduced.

Before that episode the concept had been broached before, with the Master finding a loophole to return after he had run out of regenerations.  

Ah cheers. As I say I don't see ever episode and drift in and out, I watched every one when it was David Tennant but really disliked Matt Smith and Rory and Amy's characters too and found it hard to jump back onboard since.