Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

Hitchhhikers Theme briefly used in the last episode of Series 4 and I think there is another HGTG reference thrown in somewhere else too.

Howsabout Amy Pond going around in her night attire the entire time? Arthur Dent lived in his dressing gown for years ....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howsabout Amy Pond going around in her night attire the entire time? Arthur Dent lived in his dressing gown for years ....

Quoted for truth. Amy Pond = Arthur Dent. Only rather a lot sexier. Glass floor in the Tardis. Marvellous. And seemingly killing off a kid within the first few minutes of his second episode in charge - hats off to Mr Moffat.

All in all an enjoyable episode, although in line with much of it feeling a bit more old-style Who (love Matt Smith's ticks, very Troughton/McCoyesque and his anger/looking down on the human race reminded me of William Hartnell) I personally think it would have been better suited to a 3 or 4 part structure, it was a bit rushed in places ("Right Amy we're here, you bugger off that way and I'll go this way because we don't have time to get split up properly like me and Susan/Tegan/Nyssa/Liz/Sarah Jane/Leela/Romana/Romana/etc. used to"). It also felt a lot to me like somebody has been re-reading their old DWM comic strips - stylistically and story-wise quite similar to things like Polly the Glot, which as far as I'm concerned is no bad thing at all. Look out for a guest appearance by Johnny Alpha & Wulf Sternhammer in the next series I reckon. :P

Verdict so far - despite all the talk of Moffat being Mr Dark, I reckon this series is just going to be all-out fun. Dalek episode, let's have some fun with it, what can we do? I know, stick 'em in WWII and paint 'em up in camo, have them helping Churchill. Sounds like a laugh to me. While at the same time keeping the creepy in there for the kids - sinister wall crack (how many kids will be going to bed at night eyes wide staring at the crack on the ceiling now?) & fangy worm from episode 1, smilers (and never wanting to get a 0 in a test again) from episode 2, Daleks will turn nasty in ep 3, vampires and weeping angels coming up, and so on.

And Lucy - no pm necessary I'm afraid, I haven't been in touch with many people for quite a while. Oh, and the other H2G2 reference is in Tennant's first episode - something about him wearing pjs & a dressing gown throughout, mentions Arthur Dent and how he knows/knew him and that he was a good bloke. I think.

Edited by radish

Spoiler for 'new' look of dalek, click only if you want to be disappointed:

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features...4/mainImage.jpg

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features...5/mainImage.jpg

http://news.whoviannet.co.uk/wp-content/up...-vote-dalek.jpg

Oh dear. Sometimes, going back to a 'classic' look isn't such a good thing.

THAT'S more like it!! :P

I loved the Peter Pan/Discworld/Star Wars references:

Discworld - big creature with world on it's back flying through space

completly off topic but i met Terry Pratchett the other day - very nice man!

:P he came in my shop and bought the star trek film

Phew...its not just me noticing some of the earlier Doctorisms in Mr Smith. I really like the style he is going for. Makes total sense cos while Tennant was fabulous and made it his own and a very different and memorable Doctor, the quirkiness of the old is lovely to see. The Doc is very Professorish in the right body. And with early signs that Ms Pond will help carry the series as a character then it wont be so quite one sided as it got sometimes with Mr T.

I wish that linkied website a few pages back that had all the old episodes worked for me but I cant get it to play more than 1 part of the story and then the other 5+ fail to play. I would love to sit and watch a stash of old episodes. I dont have Sci Fi unfortunately.

Edited by LusciousLucy

Phew...its not just me noticing some of the earlier Doctorisms in Mr Smith. I really like the style he is going for. Makes total sense cos while Tennant was fabulous and made it his own and a very different and memorable Doctor, the quirkiness of the old is lovely to see. The Doc is very Professorish in the right body. And with early signs that Ms Pond will help carry the series as a character then it wont be so quite one sided as it got sometimes with Mr T.

I wish that linkied website a few pages back that had all the old episodes worked for me but I cant get it to play more than 1 part of the story and then the other 5+ fail to play. I would love to sit and watch a stash of old episodes. I dont have Sci Fi unfortunately.

Apparently Matt Smith based his Doc heavily on Einstein, so I guess that's the right way to go.

I like it, it seems to ground the show. He seems to act more like the genius he is, in that he's one step ahead of the game, but doesn't seem to explain himself very well. And I like that he gets short with people. I think he also has made a strong link with Tennant's Doc. The Doctor clearly loved being the 10th Doctor, but he died in total frustration. Matt Smiths Doctor, with his chirpy cockney favourite-teacher kindness now offset with a volatile short-temper, makes total sense to me - like a proper evolution or defense mechanism for a mind on the brink of a schism.

It seems to me that everyone around the Doctor including the audience needs the path from A to E to have B, C and D in between for it to make sense. The Doc, because he's a genius, only needs A to find E, and the latest episode was a fine example of that. I think they've tweaked the show to make it more about the Doc and his assitant in these bizarre situations and unravelling them but keeping the show about these two. Instead of the characters revolving around the plot, the plot now seems to revolve around the two main characters, which is the way it should be.

It's like the differences between the old and new Star Wars films. Russel T Davis ones were probably more like the prequels (many auxillary characters getting screen time, the focus on just The Doctor and his story being sidelined sometimes - a too broad approach with the universe and plot looking down at an ensemble of characters) wheras these new Matt Smith ones seem to have a more Original trilogy vibe to them (a singular focus on the heroes, the adventure is mainly from their perspective and no-one elses). Maybe Star Wars (specifically Empire Strikes Back) has influenced it far more than just novelty nods to specific scenes.

Although, having said that, you'd have thought that The Doc, in his curiosity would have easily just flown the TARDIS around the city and maybe he might have noticed the giant f*cking whale carrying it. :P But I guess that would have ruined the grounded perspective they were looking for.

On another point - I wonder if the 'crack' has something to do with the Doc's slightly fracturred personality, like he's been damaged, and because the TARDIS also is linked to him, the TARDIS is also slightly damaged and causing the fractures in space/reality/whatever? Long shot I guess, just a brain fart. It could explain why the cracks in time are always close to wherever The Doc and the TARDIS are (wouldn't really explain why Amy had the crack in the wall before The Doc's arrival I guess).

Edited by Purple Monkey

On another point - I wonder if the 'crack' has something to do with the Doc's slightly fracturred personality, like he's been damaged, and because the TARDIS also is linked to him, the TARDIS is also slightly damaged and causing the fractures in space/reality/whatever? Long shot I guess, just a brain fart. It could explain why the cracks in time are always close to wherever The Doc and the TARDIS are (wouldn't really explain why Amy had the crack in the wall before The Doc's arrival I guess).

Unless perhaps the crack is something to do with Amy? Something odd about her, an aunt you never see, little girl on her own in a house, odd things happening to time around her (that might just be coincidental production cock-ups but you never know) like Rory's hospital badge saying he's been working since 1990 when he's supposed to be in his early 20s in 2010, and there was a slight anachronism with Amy's age in episode 2 - I think the voting booth thing said she was one thousand and something, then the readout said that plus one or two years. Even the whole Tardis jumping 5 minutes into the future but coming back 12 years later - could that be something to do with Amy herself? Who knows. Probably nothing to it. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Ok...Mr Radish we are holding you to that plot idea...not only is it brilliant its likely to end up quite near to the bone! The lack of Amy's aunty concerned me too in the 1st episode. 29th century and yet she was stated at being 1306 years old on the electoral roll? My maths isnt great but I'm sure there is something wrong there. Forgive me if I am looking too hard here...basic maths, the Starship UK is in the 29th century...1000 years on from the 19th century and therefore being born the the 20th century throws that possible age WAY out!

I look forward to the further storyarc hints muchly xxx

Some possible spoilery thoughts on the 'new' daleks to be seen in tomorrow's episode -

They are from what was effectively a negated timeline that has come back into existence following the time war/time lock. In the original series, when the Doctor (Tom Baker) was on Skaro in Genesis of the Daleks, he changed history and this intervention by the Time Lords became the start of the time war. For the 'new' Daleks, because the time war is now time-locked and therefore the Time Lords never sent the Doctor to interfere on Skaro, Genesis didn't happen. The daleks that Eccleston and Tennant fought were the remnants of the 'real' timeline and are now presumably all gone. Again.

So Moffat's Daleks will be the terror that the Time Lords predicted and originally sent the Doctor to stop and who are now at the point in their evolution when they start to spread out to different planets including earth, but now with only a single Time Lord to stop them. Maybe this will lead to the Doctor having to bring the Time Lords back properly to stop the daleks. Again.

'Course, this is probably all wrong as for one thing it could possibly mean with the time war locked some of the Doctor's regenerations may now not have happened. And it's perhaps a bit complicated a concept for Moffat's simple fairy tale fun-packed approach. And I'm still not sure about the dalek re-design - how many different colours? Looks like a class of primary school kids were let loose with poster paints in the design department.

It does link to messed up timelines again though. It's all Amy...

Edited by radish

Some possible spoilery thoughts on the 'new' daleks to be seen in tomorrow's episode -

how many different colours?

the different colours were just for the radio times cover, they are red, blue and yellow as the prime ministerial debates start(ed) this week as well as the return of the daleks.

Edit: actually i may be wrong... from radiotimes.com

"It's the height of the Blitz and the cabinet war room quakes from the German bombs pounding the streets above. Churchill has had enough and, with a glint in his eye, says, "Time to roll out the secret weapon." And we all know what that is... Yes, it's the Bracewell Ironside (a Dalek), and when the Doctor spies his greatest enemy aiding the Allied effort, carrying box files and toadying around government high-ups asking, "Would you care for some tea?" he knows something is horribly wrong. In their aggressive new primary colours, the exterminators threaten to hog the limelight as greedily as ever. But Matt Smith is now well into his stride, investing his Time Lord with stature and zest. Mark Gatiss, the go-to guy for period Who, skilfully weaves cheeky winks to the classic series into a rollicking, celebratory romp, full of Dan Dare heroics and crazy action. Doctor Who Confidential follows on BBC3 at 7:15pm."

has anyone seen any footage of the coloured daleks? i thought it was just for the radio times cover :P

Edited by pezzypops

Are the bits on spoilertags above speculation or actual spoilers? I want to read what people think might happen, but not if they know what is going to happen!

the stuff i replied to isn't remotely spoilery but as i was replying to something that had spoiler tags i put them on my reply.

edit: i've just looked at the stuff radish hid and its just speculation into the timeline/origin of these daleks, he hasn't seen tomorrow's ep yet/

Edited by pezzypops

I've not read the spoilers so all of this might be known. But all coulers plus another might be shown on Saturday.

Some folks (Who fanatics) are moaning about the shape. I'm guessing that that top might come of, above the skirt and you can put them in a plane, it is a second WW episode. I could by way off, but that's wot I think.

Over to you Radish :P

There was some stuff on the BBC Breakfast News this morning (I'm trying to find a clip) concerning the new shape.

I was half asleep at the time, but from what I can remember: [very spoilerish]

one or two of the old (ecclescake/tennant) shaped daleks survive (somehow) and are working on a the resturation of a new dalek species, the original shaped daleks. The fact that they look old, clunky and odd is actually a plot point, and will presumably re-establish them as a powerful race after their defeat during the Time War. And yes, the differing primary colours actually appear in the episode (alongside some silvery and gold ones).

So effectively what radish said above, but much simpler

One things for sure... the "Smartie Daleks" are here to stay.

EDIT:

Found it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8626781.stm < Very spoilery

Edited by Halcyon

2 words for that, f**kin ace. The new Darleks worked well. Can't wait to see them again. Taken from the Cushing films according to Confidential, excellent stuff. And The new Doctor and Amy are realy growing on me. Well done Steven Moffat, even if I was wrong about the casing. :P