Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

^ I could personally do with a whole series without the Daleks, or the Cybermen, or the Master, or Davros, or any of the old monsters they choose to dig up from the past. It's a new writer, let him write what he wants. Give him a chance to come up with all new stuff, rather than resurect something that's old, done to death and, in the case of the daleks, completely ruined by RTD and co.

Darlek human hybrids indeed... that idea killed the daleks more than any doctor ever could.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I could personally do with a whole series without the Daleks, or the Cybermen, or the Master, or Davros, or any of the old monsters they choose to dig up from the past. It's a new writer, let him write what he wants. Give him a chance to come up with all new stuff, rather than resurect something that's old, done to death and, in the case of the daleks, completely ruined by RTD and co.

Darlek human hybrids indeed... that idea killed the daleks more than any doctor ever could.

I see what you mean, but like RTD, Moffatt is a lifelong 'Whovian' - you can't have Dr Who without the Daleks and he loves them.

The Daleks in New York episodes were total shite though, but let's see how the new ones fare.

Personally, I love seeing some old enemies return. When done well (Dalek in series 1, even the Macra in Gridlock in series 3) it's great. Unfortunately, there have been some crap ones too (Daleks in New York and the terrible Sontaran mess).

I'm looking forward to seeing how

the Silurians

work, as they are also responsible for

a great story (Dr Who and The Silrurians) and some absolute dogshite (Warriors of the Deep)

The geek that I am, I watched The Eleventh Hour again this morning. I just love it. Picked up on some brilliant lines (You're Scottish aren't you? Fry something) and I think the way he chooses his costume on the roof and emerges from the stills of his former regenerations is one of the best 'introductions' of a new Doctor there's ever been.

I can see what Rufus is saying. There isn't m,uch difference between the new dr and the last one (but if you look at Eccelstons Dr, he's quite similiar to Tennants). It's a tried and tested formula and nobodies going to have the balls to tamper with it (apart from RTD and the nearing end of Tennants dr).

The older bad guys are things folk want to see and easy to fill in an episode as you don't have to explain them at all.

It's meant to be cheesy nonsense though, that's what makes it good.

I can see what Rufus is saying. There isn't m,uch difference between the new dr and the last one (but if you look at Eccelstons Dr, he's quite similiar to Tennants). It's a tried and tested formula and nobodies going to have the balls to tamper with it (apart from RTD and the nearing end of Tennants dr).

I think there will be subtle changes though as the series goes on and he grows into himself.

I read somewhere this weekend that it should have a break as it may/will get to saturation point...who knows, maybe the Beeb will rest it for a couple of years after this season to give us all a rest (and time for the lovely Matt Smith to reach 30 at least!) :P

there have only been 4 episodes in the last 21 months.

the daleks, completely ruined by RTD and co.

totally, the last time we saw them the daleks weren't scary at all. compare that to when chris ecclestone encountered the dalek - he was papping himself!

If they're imaginative they could re-invent the Daleks.

The thing I didn't like was how they seemed to make them less powerful during the Tennant run.

I mean, even the lasers they fired looked a bit shit comparred to the old versions. I remember a Jon Pertwee story where they'd white out the screen as though they have just filled the place with a shitload of lethal radiation, it made them seem uber-powerful.

It got to the point where The Daleks were like Stormtroopers who couldn't shoot for shit, firing crappy looking lasers around like they were machine guns. They're supposed to be lethal, efficient assassins, more akin to snipers.

If they're imaginative they could re-invent the Daleks.

The thing I didn't like was how they seemed to make them less powerful during the Tennant run.

I mean, even the lasers they fired looked a bit shit comparred to the old versions. I remember a Jon Pertwee story where they'd white out the screen as though they have just filled the place with a shitload of lethal radiation, it made them seem uber-powerful.

It got to the point where The Daleks were like Stormtroopers who couldn't shoot for shit, firing crappy looking lasers around like they were machine guns. They're supposed to be lethal, efficient assassins, more akin to snipers.

They re-invented them during Tennant's era. They can do it again. As was mentioned above, the only decent use of the Daleks since the show returned was Dalek in the first series - that was brilliant, and the Dalek in question was one mean bastard.

The problem with them is that they have to have one Dalek story per series, but my thought on any Dr Who villain is don't use them if you don't have a decent story for them.

But one thing to remember - even the classic series had some f**king atrocious Dalek stories. They weren't all as memorably brilliant as Genesis of the Daleks. Resurrection of the Daleks isn't great, Destiny is a bit silly, Planet of the Daleks gets daft, Death to the Daleks stinks.

As for the last time we saw them - I thought Davros was brilliant, the Daleks around him less so. They've certainly got somethig to work on - I'd love to see Davros back in this series.

How's about telepathic Daleks that exterminate just by thought? Dr Who and the Scanners?! :P

ok, just watched it again and had a few thoughts.

at the showdown at the end Prisoner Zero says something like "the doctor doesn't know where the cracks come from?

The Pandonican(?) will open - silence will fall"

then at the end repeats "silence will fall"

i'm thinking this will be the thread that ties the whole series together, a la 'Bad Wolf' and 'Torchwood', something that is hinted or glimsed all through the series and leads to the climax at the series end.

also, Jeff's laptop ("get a girlfriend"?, are you seriously telling me Jeff's straight? he's way too groomed :P my gaydar was off the chart!) had ΜΨΤΗ on it as the brand. i would not be surprised if we see that cropping up again.

qnmma8.jpg

Edited by pezzypops

ok, just watched it again and had a few thoughts.

at the showdown at the end Prisoner Zero says something like "the doctor doesn't know where the cracks come from?

The Pandonican(?) will open - silence will fall"

then at the end repeats "silence will fall"

Hmm.... I'll have to watch it agai.... It wasn't 'the

Panopticon

' was it?!

The geeks on here should now what The

Panoptican

is - for everyone else, there's google.....

Interesting.....

Hmm.... I'll have to watch it agai.... It wasn't 'the

Panopticon

' was it?!

The geeks on here should now what The

Panoptican

is - for everyone else, there's google.....

Interesting.....

i've just had another listen, sounded like Pandorica. defo not

Panoptican

it's at 0:45:35 if you want to nip into iplayer to have a look

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rs..._Eleventh_Hour/

When is Torchwood back on? Is it normally between Dr Who serieses?

On November 13, 2009, an article was posted on Eve Myles's (actress playing Gwen) website confirming that work on Series 4 had begun and that shooting was expected to begin in January of 2010.[80]

http://evemyles.net/2009/11/13/torchwood-s...4-in-the-works/

It was excellent from start to finish, but who would expect anything less from Moffat? His genius came up with Girl in the Fireplace, and for that perfect 45 minutes of television, he can do whatever he likes and I'll enjoy it.

And what has the doctor been doing for two years? There was a bit of a furtive glance towards some chart or other that he drew attention away from. Look forward to finding out

And providing there is no break for some sport or other (there will be) it should finish the week BEFORE Glastonbury (if my fingers are right)

The award for needless spoilers goes to...

Nerds can get very touchy if you don't spoiler out things. And only such nerds would need those spoilers.

You're not nerdy enough to understand, clearly. And that's a compliment!

Do you think Captain Jack will be in this series?

No, I don't.

And I hope not. I don't dislike him, but it's time to stop bringing his old companions back.

No, I don't.

And I hope not. I don't dislike him, but it's time to stop bringing his old companions back.

Aye but those involved with Torchwood have a reason to be there. It would be silly to think that the regeneration of the doctor wouldn't ever meet torchwood again.