Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good episode, although he is just like David Tennant realy.

Thought with Davis out it would change direction but it seems to be sticking to similiar formats as well.

Suppose if it aint broke then don't fix kinda thing.

It's Doctor Who. What did you expect? A more gritty realistic approach?

Absolutely brilliant episode. I was jumping up and down in front of the set like an idiot cheering the news that the Libertines have reformed.

It's Doctor Who. What did you expect? A more gritty realistic approach?

Absolutely brilliant episode. I was jumping up and down in front of the set like an idiot cheering the news that the Libertines have reformed.

:P

Same here, I really enjoyed it and thought the girl who plays Amy Pond is stunning...

Yep brilliant start

Legopolis(?) is on Sci Fi channel at the moment I think.... Well they have said that name a few times. the Master is in it!

Old Who is on all day on that channel, an education for me!!

Last nights was stunning I thought. Especially the bit on the hospital roof. I LOVED that bit. It was the perfect nod to the past with all the old Docs and as he walked through the hologram he BECAME the Doctor. AMAZING.

Nah, but with new doctors you generaly get slight changes in the shows approaches and stuff. It seems they'll just stick to the same structures as Davis layed out.

The only time I think that happened was with Pertwee. So once in fifty years!

I thought it was fantastic.

I watched the last Tennant episode (f*cking excellent, in fact I was watching old Tom Baker stuff all day) shortly before it. This new one retained everything that was good about Tennant's run, but it all seemed so much more refined (refinement was always my problem with it - I always thought Doctor Who was always nearly at the A Grade, but not quite, mainly down to pantomime-level acting as opposed to being made for TV).

The biggest difference comes from the switch in the actors. Tennant & co (Barrowman etc) were too pantomimey, or were directed as such a little excessively. Matt Smith and the new direction seems to be able to do more with character facial expressions, and rather than emoting, he can get emotion through nothing but timing his words in a certain way, a proper TV/film actor. And they've turned up the Britishness to 11.

Art direction, photography was more grounded and in the correct scale, everything seemed to be a lot more polished (although they have certainly taken some of the plastic veneer off - with nothing but good results). It looked great in HD, especially the colour and tone. It's definitely had tweaks in it's manner, and it's all the better for it.

Love the new Doc. Like a cross between Heath Ledger's Joker (which reminds me - the music where The Doc is trying to wake Amy up sounds MASSIVELY inspired by The Dark Knight soundtrack), Dylan Moran in Black Books and Einstein. Funny, grumpy, witty, mental, borderline autistic, and massively likable, but still The Doctor. I thought he had a bit of Tom Baker's natural comic timing and ad-libbing absolutely spot on.

This is what I have been waiting for with Doctor Who. Something intrinsically British but something that wasn't totally embarassing when comparred to stuff from say America. I can see a lot of new fans flocking to this, and I think I'm one of them.

That WWII in the future episode looks insanely brilliant. As does the episode with the batterred , mummified Cyberman.

Did anyone else think they had learned a few things from Being Human?

Very very impressed. If I was a kid I'd be in TV heaven. It was so much fun to watch.

Quick question - are the Atraxi a new bad guy? Aslo - what's the deal with The Master? Is he now Time-locked on Galifrey with the Time Lords? Didn't make it very clear as to what happened there, obviously to bring The Master back at some point.

One thing I do know - I doubt Langdale Wolf is going to be happy about James Corden appearring in the Season-trailer. I slightly sighed at that. Still, the WWII meets Star Wars episode looks like it'll make up for that slight casting fail.

Just finished watching it again.

Edited by Purple Monkey

This new one retained everything that was good about Tennant's run, but it all seemed so much more refined

totally agree, i couldn't stand the last half of Russell T Davies' captainship, the only good things were the ones Stephen Moffatt was involved in.

did anyone think the new assistant already having a boyfriend but was infatiuated with the doctor was an echo of Rose/Mickey?

also, so glad they've changed the music again. the orchestrated version was rubbish, now they've gone a bit electro-ish and it seems like it's a nod to delia derbyshire's original performance of the theme.

one last thing... the worst thing about dr who is celebrity cameos, they always just grate on my nerves. starting with the peter kay one and climaxing with an entire series starring the thoroughly awful Catherine Tate (i just couldn't watch it, they were cringeworthy). i really hoped Moffatt would steer away from that but it seems not. the only bad part of last night's episode was Olivia Coleman's part, and i normally like her. and i think i caught a glimpse of the fat one from gavin and stacey in the teaser at the end so... i dunno.

all in all i thought the new doctor was excellent and really want to see where he takes the character.

totally agree, i couldn't stand the last half of Russell T Davies' captainship, the only good things were the ones Stephen Moffatt was involved in.

did anyone think the new assistant already having a boyfriend but was infatiuated with the doctor was an echo of Rose/Mickey?

also, so glad they've changed the music again. the orchestrated version was rubbish, now they've gone a bit electro-ish and it seems like it's a nod to delia derbyshire's original performance of the theme.

one last thing... the worst thing about dr who is celebrity cameos, they always just grate on my nerves. starting with the peter kay one and climaxing with an entire series starring the thoroughly awful Catherine Tate (i just couldn't watch it, they were cringeworthy). i really hoped Moffatt would steer away from that but it seems not. the only bad part of last night's episode was Olivia Coleman's part, and i normally like her. and i think i caught a glimpse of the fat one from gavin and stacey in the teaser at the end so... i dunno.

all in all i thought the new doctor was excellent and really want to see where he takes the character.

Proper celebrity actors do very well though (i.e. John Simm & Simon Pegg) but the rest are usually shite. Catherine Tate annoyed the hell out of me. She doesn't act, she just plays herself. Bernard Cribbins was great towards the end of Tennants series though!

I also like the new music, definitely has gone back to feeling more Dr. Who. It has more of the creepiness/wierdness back in it as opposed to the orchestral one which seemed to lose all of that in an attempt to be overly dramatic. The best thing about the old Who was the music!

I am currently watching a Peter Davidson episode on Sci-Fi. This guy followed Tom Baker?

What's the deal with his uniform? The pyjama bottoms are a total rip-off of Arthur Dent, and the question marks on his collar are too blatent/ He's not the f*cking Riddler. And why does he have celery pinned to his jacket?

Oh look here comes a giant rubber mutant Armadillo on a set that looks more fake than something from The Cyrstal Maze. This is some real sub-Gorn shit right here! I guess it won't last very long, he's about to die I think.

Haha and on Sci-Fi + 1 there's Revenge Of The Cybermen. Oh God they are comical.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I am currently watching a Peter Davidson episode on Sci-Fi. This guy followed Tom Baker?

What's the deal with his uniform? The pyjama bottoms are a total rip-off of Arthur Dent, and the question marks on his collar are too blatent/ He's not the f*cking Riddler. And why does he have celery pinned to his jacket?

Oh look here comes a giant rubber mutant Armadillo on a set that looks more fake than something from The Cyrstal Maze. This is some real sub-Gorn shit right here! I guess it won't last very long, he's about to die I think.

Haha and on Sci-Fi + 1 there's Revenge Of The Cybermen. Oh God they are comical.

This one is called The Caves of Androzani - an absolutely brilliant story. Sharaz Jek is one of my favourite characters of the series. Keep watching until the end - it's a key episode.

Peter Davison had celery on his jacket because I think it turned a different colour when it came into contact with gases that he was allergic to.

This one is called The Caves of Androzani - an absolutely brilliant story. Sharaz Jek is one of my favourite characters of the series. Keep watching until the end - it's a key episode.

Peter Davison had celery on his jacket because I think it turned a different colour when it came into contact with gases that he was allergic to.

Jek is the android ninja guy right? I'd like to see him in the modern show jazzed up, he is pretty cool (ah crap, wait, no, that won't happen, he's just died :P ). You have to apply a shitload of imagination to these old ones in order to make them work properly.

I quite like the music at the end though! Nasty, nasty synth. Really ominous and creepy.

Oh, he's just used his magic celery to try and revive his friend due to it having regenerative qualities on Gallifreyans (sp?) but it doesn't work on humans. Is the celery thing unique to Davidson's Doctor?

Edited by Purple Monkey

Jek is the android ninja guy right? I'd like to see him in the modern show jazzed up, he is pretty cool (ah crap, wait, no, that won't happen, he's just died :P ). You have to apply a shitload of imagination to these old ones in order to make them work properly.

I quite like the music at the end though! Nasty, nasty synth. Really ominous and creepy.

Oh, he's just used his magic celery to try and revive his friend due to it having regenerative qualities on Gallifreyans (sp?) but it doesn't work on humans. Is the celery thing unique to Davidson's Doctor?

Yeah - Davison was cricket and celery.

The 1980's theme tune was ace. But I've loved all the versions of the theme tune.

Did you think that the shot of Peri's cleavage at the end just before the regeneration was gratuitous and not needed? Still nice though.

The one on now (The Two Doctors) isn't very good though - not a huge fan of Colin Baker's Doctor. Easily the weakest. But at least this one has Troughton in. His last appearance in the show - he died a few years later. :P

I'll finally get to watch the new one in a bit!! Been looking forward to it all day.

Edited by Langdale Wolf

I need to watch it again but I have a feeling that there was certainly a potential story arc mentioned towards the end of the bit on the roof. Something about a chasm of silence...I cant remember but it sounded ominous and impending and therefore something to do with future episodes.

I just loved the newer style, the camera work, the no RTD in the Confidential...he really was getting on my wick!!! I wish I had Sci-Fi so I could have watched some of the old episodes.

Was Adam Smith a new director to Who? I didnt recognise him from earlier Confidentials.

Well I've watched it now.

I do enjoy being right. That was fabulous entertainment - Matt Smith was terrific. Completely nuts - which will make for a great Doctor. I'm sure he'll continue in that vein - I was worried about it being a one-off and his zany antics were just post-regenerative confusion but the teaser at the end allayed those fears.

One thing I thought it got spot on was the pace. It was action packed but not crammed in. I always loved the old 4 parters in the classic series more than the stand-alone stories in the new series, but this one was excellent.

And Karen Gillan was also very good - I thought the on-screen chemistry was instant.

Obviously, the sight of James f**king Corden at the end made me angry and sweary but I'm a reasonable man. I'll let them off if the rest of the series is as bloody brilliant as The Eleventh Hour.

The show needed a face lift, and every single change to the show is for the better - even the lead. I liked Tennant a lot, but if Smith carries on like that, he'll easily beat him IMHO. But it's better than it was last time out.

The Tardis looks better.

The music is better.

The title sequence is better.

The logo is better.

The executive producer is better.

It's a better show.

Nope I am just so bored of it all now. I think it should have a long interlude and come back in 20 or so years.

Oh look lets give the sexy girl a back story to save us having to do any character development.

Guess what?? f**king Daleks in an episode coming to you.

Dr Who and the "we ran out of storylines ages ago, but we will rehash some and noone will notice" men

I have written to the BBC asking for my portion of the licence fee that I wasted watching this dirge. I can't get my life back for that time and I will make sure that every knows about on my death bed. "If I had not watched Dr Who that Saturday I would be here nearly another hour".

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

I see your point Mr G, its similar to someone else I know.

I read somewhere this weekend that it should have a break as it may/will get to saturation point...who knows, maybe the Beeb will rest it for a couple of years after this season to give us all a rest (and time for the lovely Matt Smith to reach 30 at least!) :P

But, there are definitly marked differences (as the Langdale pointed out so succinctly) and if everyone can stop comparing Mr Smith to the old Mr Smith, then maybe things wont be so bad.

You watched one, out of interest, but now you know to go and play in the sun for an extra hour every Saturday from now on :P It was one hour...go make up the lost time my friend.

Nope I am just so bored of it all now. I think it should have a long interlude and come back in 20 or so years.

Oh look lets give the sexy girl a back story to save us having to do any character development.

Guess what?? f**king Daleks in an episode coming to you.

Dr Who and the "we ran out of storylines ages ago, but we will rehash some and noone will notice" men

I have written to the BBC asking for my portion of the licence fee that I wasted watching this dirge. I can't get my life back for that time and I will make sure that every knows about on my death bed. "If I had not watched Dr Who that Saturday I would be here nearly another hour".

Well maybe it is for people like me, people who aren't that well versed, haven't seen that many episodes featurring these villains, or are still waiting for them to tackle the Daleks and Cybermen and the other favourites in a way they haven't seen yet. All I know is, I can't wait to see Cybermen and Daleks up against this new Doctor.

I guess the point of introducing The Daleks so soon is to demonstrate where they're going with this new direction - it'll give people a chance to directly compare.

Tricky, it'll be hard to top the Daleks, who are basically space Nazi's, as the ultimate villains in a British show. I can't think of anything more relevant to British identity as the massive threat of aggressive, terrifying fascism, still rather fresh in the countrys history. The Daleks are based on a once very real, very powerful threat. Cybermen are second because they tap into the fear of Communism. Both are based on British propaganda of enemies in war. The Daleks work because they're tied to something that was inarguably evil, and irredeemable to the British. Seeing as The Doc is British, and the show is British, a villain based on the German Nazi's are probably the perfect villain. What's more evil and villainous than that?

Maybe a new enemy would be an infiltrator type of creature/race. One that plays on the fear of extremist terrorism. They could do something with that Prisoner Zero thing - maybe that's where they could take that idea. I'd like to see a race that is under threat from humans or pushed to extremist retaliation. A villain based on Osama Bin Laden would be cool (soldier of an ex-ally and war hero turns into extremist figurehead of a revolution and becomes a sworn enemy of Earth). Could do a lot with an intergalactic Al Quaeda.

Still doubt there won't be anything as successful or as relevant as the Daleks simply because of who and what they were inspired by. The WWII setting for the next one is highly appropriate.

Dr Who without Daleks would be like Batman without The Joker.

We'll see.

Edited by Purple Monkey