Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

That looks awesome - cheers. I rarely go onto Gaillifrey Base, but I do have a user account there. Gets a bit too geeky for my liking.

Liking the

Silurian

reference there - they're long overdue a return.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks awesome - cheers. I rarely go onto Gaillifrey Base, but I do have a user account there. Gets a bit too geeky for my liking.

Liking the

Silurian

reference there - they're long overdue a return.

how the hell is THAT possible!! :P:P

how the hell is THAT possible!! :P:P

Even I have limits. They just happen to be very, very, very, very, very extreme. Honestly mate - you should go over there after an episode when they review it. It's hilarious! They get very aggressive.

Think of an efests topic called 'God is a c**t - discuss' involving all the 'heavyweights' past and present and that's how vociferous the discussions get. Over a sci-fi show.

Even I have limits. They just happen to be very, very, very, very, very extreme. Honestly mate - you should go over there after an episode when they review it. It's hilarious! They get very aggressive.

Think of an efests topic called 'God is a c**t - discuss' involving all the 'heavyweights' past and present and that's how vociferous the discussions get. Over a sci-fi show.

they need to get girlfriends

although obviously their massively handicapped in that respect due to being doctor who fans.

a vicious circle :P

they need to get girlfriends

although obviously their massively handicapped in that respect due to being doctor who fans.

a vicious circle :P

I managed okay.

Though I do confess not to admitting I was a 'Whovian' until after we were married. I tried to keep my dirty secret from her, and for a while, I did okay.

But then she found them. A great big stash of VHS tapes in the garage. She was so appalled, so disgusted, so embarrassed. But we watched one together, and she felt much better.

We really enjoy the vintage tapes from the 70's - wow, there is SO much hair!!

They still play really well, despite excessive use.

I managed okay.

Though I do confess not to admitting I was a 'Whovian' until after we were married. I tried to keep my dirty secret from her, and for a while, I did okay.

But then she found them. A great big stash of VHS tapes in the garage. She was so appalled, so disgusted, so embarrassed. But we watched one together, and she felt much better.

We really enjoy the vintage tapes from the 70's - wow, there is SO much hair!!

They still play really well, despite excessive use.

:P

Brilliant. And I suppose after all that your penchant for hardcore lesbian midget filth was a walk in the park!

I don't think there is stigma attached to being a Doctor Who fan anymore. Maybe a while ago, but it's mainstream. I've even worn my long scarf into the office on occassions and told by the girls in Finance that I looks cool.

Brilliant. And I suppose after all that your penchant for hardcore lesbian midget filth was a walk in the park!

I don't think there is stigma attached to being a Doctor Who fan anymore. Maybe a while ago, but it's mainstream. I've even worn my long scarf into the office on occassions and told by the girls in Finance that I looks cool.

sorry fella's but this is gold!!

you mean to say sifi, that the girls in finance, IE Accountants!!!! have said you look cool, and you took that as a compliment :P

you mean to say sifi, that the girls in finance, IE Accountants!!!! have said you look cool, and you took that as a compliment :P

I think it was treasury / tax, rather than accounts payable or anything like that. And most of them are over on secondment from the Czech Republic.

I don't think I'm helping my argument really, am I.

Edited by sifimaster

ahhhhhhhh, that makes all the difference :P

Begone with you. It's alright to like Doctor Who these days. Even some degrees of fandom.

Now, Blake's 7 - that's entirely out of the question. And that's nothing compared to my buddy called Boo who had two weddings. One traditional one, and one in which he and his wife dressed up in full Klingon-regalia and had the ceremony in Klingon.

Well it was so bad, she had to lie to her parents and tell her I had a fetish for bestiality. She said it wasn't as embarrassing as The Truth. Cow.

Begone with you. It's alright to like Doctor Who these days. Even some degrees of fandom.

Now, Blake's 7 - that's entirely out of the question. And that's nothing compared to my buddy called Boo who had two weddings. One traditional one, and one in which he and his wife dressed up in full Klingon-regalia and had the ceremony in Klingon.

Man, that's bad. Very bad. The saddest thing I contemplated for my wedding was doing the Thriller dance (have you seen that youtube clip? It's one of the greatest things I've ever seen) but the wife vetoed that too.

Dr Who is definitely my number 1 geeky sci-fi love, though I also love Star Wars and Red Dwarf. Nowhere near as much though.

These 'nu-who' fans have no idea of the ridicule I have suffered over the years being a dedicated Whovian. You're right - nowadays, it's acceptable. But it chuffing well wasn't during the 1990's. Even when I tried to get my school mates educated in it when Paul McGann's episode came out. They even scoffed at Genesis of the Daleks. W**kers.

These 'nu-who' fans have no idea of the ridicule I have suffered over the years being a dedicated Whovian. You're right - nowadays, it's acceptable. But it chuffing well wasn't during the 1990's. Even when I tried to get my school mates educated in it when Paul McGann's episode came out. They even scoffed at Genesis of the Daleks. W**kers.

Man, you should have tried living through the Shouty Baker-era. We were outcasts, I tell you. Lepers.

Man, you should have tried living through the Shouty Baker-era. We were outcasts, I tell you. Lepers.

I did live through them. But I was only 5. In fact, I wasn't even 5 during CB's first full series.

I felt like a very young outcast.

I was an outcast in the 90's for adoring a dead show, when everyone at school shot their load over Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny - a show I thought was okay but lacked so much that 'Who' could offer. But of course, I was shouted down and belittled.

Anyone who did try to indulge me just said the best Doctor was McCoy. Then I told them it was Tom, and they would say the same thing - 'Tom who?'

How I wish I had efests back then, with someone of a like mind to talk to.

Whovianism - thankfully a thing of the past.

When did this word "Whovian" come out, anyhow? I don't remember it before this new series?

It's been around for years I think mate.

I hope that's the case and my fragile mind hasn't been deceiving me after years of mocking.

It's been around for years I think mate.

I hope that's the case and my fragile mind hasn't been deceiving me after years of mocking.

Nope, I have a vague memory it was an encouraged term from the DWAS from the late 70s/early 80s on. Something to put them up alongside the likes of trekkies/trekkers/whatever, make the obsession as valid as the klingon-wannabes.

And I'll have you know Blakes 7 is increasingly being recognised as being the intelligent, multi-layered, ground-breaking (first series to introduce end-of-series cliffhangers etc.), influential, brilliant and with undoubtedly the best ever ending of any programme ever in the world ever telly show that it unarguably was. No mention of dodgy fx, crap sets, ott acting or anything. No. It's the Newsnight to Dr Who's 6 'o'clock BBC bulletin. Just bugger all chance of it ever getting remade. Apart from some audio stuff that I haven't heard. I suppose Dr Who did keep going on audio for quite a while.

And I'll have you know Blakes 7 is increasingly being recognised as being the intelligent, multi-layered, ground-breaking (first series to introduce end-of-series cliffhangers etc.), influential, brilliant and with undoubtedly the best ever ending of any programme ever in the world ever telly show that it unarguably was.

I have always rated it over Doctor Who. There was talk of a Who / Seven cross-over series at one point ; the aliens that took on the Federation after the end of Star One were meant to be the Daleks?

Blakes 7 - the only series in history to actually use Blue Peter instructions to make one of their own props. Brilliant.

Mind, it went right downhill

after the Liberator got blown up and they were in that hun of junk Slave.

Don't know why I put in spoilers.

re : "Whovian" - apparently, according to Wiki, it was an American term, rarely used over here until the new series. I did read DWM in the dark days a fair bit, and I don't recall the term ever being used in there, for example?

Edited by sifimaster

I have always rated it over Doctor Who. There was talk of a Who / Seven cross-over series at one point ; the aliens that took on the Federation after the end of Star One were meant to be the Daleks?

Terry Nation having the rights to both the Daleks & Blakes 7 of course. Shame it never happened.

Blakes 7 - the only series in history to actually use Blue Peter instructions to make one of their own props. Brilliant.

I own a Wii. For some reason the Wii remote, especially when plugged into the nunchuck, brings the Liberator stick-guns to mind.

Mind, it went right downhill after the Liberator got blown up and they were in that hun of junk Slave.

Scorpio was the name of the ship. And I liked it because it was easier to make out of lego than the Liberator was. Otherwise it wasn't as good, agreed. Some of the books beefed out the story a bit more though, with Avon obssessed with some intergalactic mind-control conspiracy, which is what led him to shoot Blake in the end. I had one called Aftermath which I remember was really good, but it got lost somewhere over the years.

Don't know why I put in spoilers.

Fixed.

re : "Whovian" - apparently, according to Wiki, it was an American term, rarely used over here until the new series. I did read DWM in the dark days a fair bit, and I don't recall the term ever being used in there, for example?

Yah, bollocks to Wiki and bollocks to the Americans, they'd have called them 'Whoies' or something. :P I was never a signed-up DWAS member, but I definitely remember the term being used in the 80s and am sure they supported it. And I'm sure I remember news pieces about the Longleat Dr Who exhibition referring to the hoards of Whovians visiting it.

Edited to say, ok maybe the yanks did popularise the word from their fan club's 'Whovian Times' but as that was around in the early 80s (if not before) I'd say it's safe to assume the word was in general use so I'm ok to think I remember it from the 80s. Honest guv.

Edited by radish

I would LOVE to find myself an uber sci-fi fan-man to cuddle up to again :P

Life's been a bit dull and crap and geek conversationless these past 6 years without a knowledgeable ex Forbidden Planet member of staff in my life!

You lot are my only inner geek release! :P

Ahh '70's bush...wait,wrong forum.

Who is this Neil Gaiman that everyone is excited about due to him writing an episode?

He's an author/comic writer/general legend.

Also wrote/created a series called neverwhere for the BBC in the 90's which I strongly recommend checking out. Also wrote the book that the movie "coraline" was based on. :P

he's cool, his writing is a bit off the wall sometimes and I reckon he'd write a cracking scary type who episode. :P

Also wrote/created a series called neverwhere for the BBC in the 90's which I strongly recommend checking out. Also wrote the book that the movie "coraline" was based on. :P

Great - I've ordered it on Amazon. There was some bundle on the cheap with a couple of his other things there too.

This wasn't the thing where characters are named after London tube stations, is it?

Great - I've ordered it on Amazon. There was some bundle on the cheap with a couple of his other things there too.

This wasn't the thing where characters are named after London tube stations, is it?

That's the one. :P

it's great, if very 90's looking! Hehe

American gods is my fav of his books, but the short story collections (smoke and mirrors and fragile things) are also worth checking out. :P