Letter of permission from Schools

Guest FunkyChunkyMonkey

Well it's time for some of us to get our thinking caps on regarding this delicate subject. For the record, my son's school did not permit leave citing attendance targets for the school falling short of the mark along with a (highlighted) veiled threat of a £100 fine. These were schoolwide targets as my son's attendance was exemplary. We took him anyway and have suffered no consequences. We have decided to get our letter in early this year which should dismiss any target-based rejection. Last years letter was copied from a VF Forum post. I have elaborated a bit with this years by pointing out the benefits my son's attendence at Glastonbury had upon him personally. Feel free to read and by all means use it a template for your own requests. This one is a little personalised as you will be able to tell.

Hope to see you at Cockmills :P

********************************************************************************

Dear *******

AUTHORISED LEAVE - *********** – 23rd JUNE – 26th JUNE and 29TH JUNE – 30th JUNE

We are writing to inform you that **** may be absent from school inclusive of the days mentioned above. We would very much like for you to supply **** with some work to do over this period if you think he will miss anything fundamental.

Once again (ticket allocation permitting) **** is to accompany us to The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Arts and we understand that this absence can be authorised by the school, as it is a cultural event. If you want more details on what **** will experience during this week you can find details of some of these on The Internet at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/performance.aspx?id=98

In addition, **** will continue with his scrapbook/photo diary of his time at the festival as he enjoyed doing this for last year’s festival and still enjoys looking back at it to recount his time there.

In the 5-6 months since last year’s festival, we have noticed as parents the profound beneficial effect it had on him. The following points are examples of how **** has benefited as a result of Glastonbury 2008. Points which he can discuss freely in detail himself.

• He has since developed and defined his own musical preferences.

• He has a greater understanding and appreciation of certain global environmental/human geography issues esp. Recycling, clean energy, the need the clean water and sanitation.

• While not seemingly interested in being creative himself, **** has developed a greater appreciation and respect for the efforts and creativity of others for the enjoyment of others. In particular he was impressed with Art installations from recycled materials as well as the logistics involved in catering for 200,000 people for a week on a farm in rural Somerset.

• He can have fun with his parents.

We would be appreciative if the school could take this on board as sound examples of character development as well as being relevant to the broader National Curriculum.

We will be staying in a nearby hotel on Monday 29th June before embarking on the full return leg back to Darlington as it takes several hours just to leave the site and get back onto major highways.

If you could send a reply home with **** that would be great.

Yours Sincerely

********************************************************************************

Family holiday's don't cut much mustard up here though mate. My old man lives out in California and they were tetchy about allowing us to take our son out for 2 weeks of a school year to go over there a couple of years ago even though my dad had been quite ill. My dad flew over here instead in the end.

I have been very deliberate in referring to my son's experience of last year's festival almost in a report style as well as citing the National Curriculum. It limits their grounds for objection.

Of course if they say we are not letting him go because you are a smart arse, then I admit I don't have much come bach them :P

And that their freinds don't mention it in front of teacher's who'd care, as happened to me in 2007. By the time they got round to calling me to the head of Sixth Form's office I'd already caught up on all the work, which you'd have thought would take the wind out of their sails, but they still insisted on keeping me there for half an hour to tell me how dissappointed they were....pain in the arse

Dave. He did that. Don't get me wrong, most of the teachers told him to have a good time just before he went and he did do a show and tell. It was the "Education Officer" who rejected. The school is part of a campus comprising Nursery, Primary, Secondary, 6th Form and Special Needs in one building but each with it's own Head. I think sometimes decisions are made above the designated Head Teacher's level.

My daughter's Nursery couldn't have been more different. While she was away, the kids helped make a Glastonbury wall in honour of my daughter. Then after she came back, they had a festival day in the garden complete with tents, picnic and lots of musical instruments to mess about with. Brilliant!

My daughter's Nursery couldn't have been more different. While she was away, the kids helped make a Glastonbury wall in honour of my daughter. Then after she came back, they had a festival day in the garden complete with tents, picnic and lots of musical instruments to mess about with. Brilliant!
Edited by Dave F.

Well last year we put in for a holiday stating that we were off to see my mum.

However Bubs was made to remove her Glasto wrist band as it was against school policy blah blah blah.

So really we were not fooling anybody.

However the educational benefits far far out way the missed few days and I would do it again.

However

GCSE this year and next, so she is staying at school.

I on the other hand will miss her confirmation on the 28th as I will be mullered somewhere at worthy farm.

So I have need to give my wife a letter explaining my absence.

It did not go down well. :P

f**k em.

Our childrens primary and secondary school didn't mind. At the end of the day to enforce a fine it has to go to court, and a festival is a grwat life learning experience. FFS I used to take the kids off school for the day when it snowed so we could go sledging, and the school didn't mind, cos they are only kids once.

If the school has an issue ask them to pass it to the the LEA, and then ask how come nationally 1000's of kids can disappear to visit Asia during Eidd, or just for months on end (not a race thing, but use the festival to your advantage)/ Most headteachers are old hippies anyway :lol:

Oh God I didn't want this to result in sweeping statements (Denwyn) and name calling (TB) I shoulda known better I guess lol

Everyone is allowed an opinion of course.

Denwyn. I hope you agree some of us on here have given pretty sound accounts as to why we want to take them. TBH I can't understand WHY you can't understand why etc. (IYSWIM). You did hit the nail on the head though when you said there's room for everyone. Couldn't agree more and to be fair, it would be shit if EVERYONE took their kids. It's just that after last year,I definitely want to do it again

Edited by FunkyChunkyMonkey