Sell Glastonbury to Me

Guest Cactus Sid

Cactus Sid:

With regards to the camping, it's quite varied. There are places where it's quite full-on, and others where it's almost tranquil (well, relatively speaking :lol: ). It's worth figuring out what kind of thing you want and doing some research. Be warned though... the best stuff goes early. The most choicest places can be full by Wednesday lunchtime.

So, if you can, turn up early. You won't regret it. There's lots to see and do, and the 'run in' has a great chilled-out feel all of it's own.

It's very hard to explain Glastonbury to someone who has never been. I certainly had no idea until I went for the first time in 2005.

If you imagine a party with 150,000 people in attendance, most of whom are dertermined to have the time of their lives over 5 days come rain or shine, then add a wide mix of bands, some you've always wanted to see but end up a dissapointement, some you'd never normally dream of going to see and end up loving them, then you are scratching the surface of what makes so many people so fanatical about Glastonbury.

That said, it can be hard work. Each year I have my low moments where I question why I came (usually they are short lived and something snaps me out of it). I know some people never get past these low moments and so I would never over sell it to anyone who has their doubts.

It's very hard to explain Glastonbury to someone who has never been. I certainly had no idea until I went for the first time in 2005.

If you imagine a party with 150,000 people in attendance, most of whom are dertermined to have the time of their lives over 5 days come rain or shine, then add a wide mix of bands, some you've always wanted to see but end up a dissapointement, some you'd never normally dream of going to see and end up loving them, then you are scratching the surface of what makes so many people so fanatical about Glastonbury.

That said, it can be hard work. Each year I have my low moments where I question why I came (usually they are short lived and something snaps me out of it). I know some people never get past these low moments and so I would never over sell it to anyone who has their doubts.

Cactus Sid:

With regards to the camping, it's quite varied. There are places where it's quite full-on, and others where it's almost tranquil (well, relatively speaking :lol: ). It's worth figuring out what kind of thing you want and doing some research. Be warned though... the best stuff goes early. The most choicest places can be full by Wednesday lunchtime.

So, if you can, turn up early. You won't regret it. There's lots to see and do, and the 'run in' has a great chilled-out feel all of it's own.

I wont try to do the whole "Selling" thing, as I find myself entering tired old cliched. The reason I love it of course,is based on my interpretation which in turn is based on my thinking on life. In my mind, I've seen some of the best things at Glastonbury (that doesn't mean music, more society in cohesion) and as a result, it influences things like my political direction and attitude to day to day life.

Feck I gotta conclude with a cliche.

Life Changing.

I is one of those Glastofarian Cult of Eavis types and it perpetuates my every waking moments these days!

BUT...just read what the horse's mouth says...The Official Site's 'What is Glastonbury?' Does exactly what is says on the tin.

Go and enjoy and you never regret the decision :lol:

I is one of those Glastofarian Cult of Eavis types and it perpetuates my every waking moments these days!

BUT...just read what the horse's mouth says...The Official Site's 'What is Glastonbury?' Does exactly what is says on the tin.

Go and enjoy and you never regret the decision :)

I tried to sell glastonbury to my boyfriend for 5 years. He had been to V Stafford and Leeds and always said he could not see the point of travelling so far ( we live in Newcaslte) to go to a festival. I explained that it made other festivals seem like gigs in a field, told him about how big it was, how much there is to do, that fact you see the most random things and it seems normal AND about the sheer effort that goes in to it not only the festival its self but the people who go (well its true lol we all make more effort for glasto)

Anyway he did not see the point. Finally got him to go this year and when we were leaving he asked me a question

If you have been to glastonbury why have you ever bothered to go to any other festival? The only answers I could think off is they are nearer and often have lines ups I prefer don't shot me but I often find V has more bands on that I want to see then Glastonbury.

Nevertheless I would go to Glastonbury any day over any other festival regardless of the line up. I would go even if I did not like the line up. Only takes one band a day I want to see to keep me happy prefer it if there on after 6 lol. However, ticket is fully paid for and thats with the fact that out of the 3 touted headliners only want to see blur will be no where near neil or bruce.

You watch it on television so your already interested, go I am sure you will not regret it. It can be hard work if the weather is bad but I promise you its worth it.