Hallelujah - All the Covers in One

Guest ibilly99

Saw Leonard both at Glastonbury and the Big Chill this year - I love this song in fact I love it so much I’ve just got greedy and combined 10 versions into a single take. I hope all your favourites are there including the very latest X-factor winner Alexandra Burke. If you like it please leave a comment and give me stars!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdw4oTMRAkw

ooh a poll is a good idea.

I love Leonard singing this, and Rufus, and I'm a fan of KD Langs take but nothing for me will ever beat Jeff Buckleys version - it's perfect and an absolute joy to listen to.

Love the Cohen version the most...saw him at Benicassim this year...didn't have a clue what to expect but deffinatley made an impact on me! great stuff!

Also like the Bon Jovi cover version they have been performing for the last couple of years...better than you would expect...honestly! ;)

Edited by InMuseWorld

Nobody could ever top Laughing Leonard, but there is a really good cover by Amanda Palmer out there, think it's on youtube but i'm too lazy to figure out where and how to put it here. You should check it out though, it's quality.

Saw Leonard both at Glastonbury and the Big Chill this year - I love this song in fact I love it so much I’ve just got greedy and combined 10 versions into a single take. I hope all your favourites are there including the very latest X-factor winner Alexandra Burke. If you like it please leave a comment and give me stars!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdw4oTMRAkw

Edited by scorp

Whilst the girl from the X-Factor thingy has a lovely voice there is something that seems just so wrong that a show about manufactured pop could take a song like this and make it seem like theirs. Hopefully it will lead people to find out more about the song and more about the various covers out there.

Personally I still love Jeffs version the best.

I guess it goes to show that one song can touch many people in so many ways no matter who sings it.

Of the x-factor finalists I am glad it was Alex who won so at least this version has a soul, althoogh of a different type to what has gone before. Eoghan ior JLS simpering their way through it would have been the real travesty.

I don't dislike her version, and the song is sung in such a different style that I don't find it campares in any way. Not a big fan of power ballardry, and conversely, the understated simpleness of the Buckley version conveys more soul to me than all that wailing! However, if that was what you were into - it's a good version - she puts alot into it and I believe her performance. Not bad atall.

I also think the Alexandra version is pretty decent, certainly the best reality pop show debut single so far. It's kind of one of those songs that it would be difficult to do badly, though I imagine JLS would have made it a bit too Amerian twee soul.

I'm probably best acquainted with Rufus's version, which is typically languid.

The Xfactor drivel cover is the worst cover I've ever heard. Just cos she can wail a bit means f**k all - there's no soul to it. She didn't even choose the song herself!! The line "you don't really care for music do ya" is unfortunately fairly apt here...