Mercury Rev?

Guest BlackHole2006

It would be great to see them there, although having seen them at a few fests I don't think that they always work too well in the great outdoors. Their own shows just seem to be better somehow.

Aren't they just comming off a tour though rather than setting out on one? I know they were doing fests last year 'cos I saw 'em, and they've played some shjows over here in the past month or so. I suspect that their schedule and ours may not be in synch. :P

It would be great to see them there, although having seen them at a few fests I don't think that they always work too well in the great outdoors. Their own shows just seem to be better somehow.

Aren't they just comming off a tour though rather than setting out on one? I know they were doing fests last year 'cos I saw 'em, and they've played some shjows over here in the past month or so. I suspect that their schedule and ours may not be in synch. :lol:

They were fab on the Other Stage around 2005 or so - in daylight.

Not the same as a night show of course, but it still worked :P

Totally disagree- seen them headline Connect 2nd stage this year and they were absolutely amazing. Granted it was pitch dark by that point and may have helped the atmosphere. Also seen them a few years ago headline king tuts tent at t in the park and that was equally brilliant so I think they could definitely do an awesome set in john peel stage.

• 1 month later...

Just reviving this one because:

(1) I've been listening to Snowflake Midnight, and it's an absolutely astonishing, mindbending album. The thought of watching them do Senses On Fire on the Other Stage at night...

(2) I've looked at their website and the good news is they're free at the moment. The bad news - my God - they're touring in support of f**king Coldplay. Chris Martin's lot release their worst album by far, sell millions, then get supported by a truly visionary band at the top of their game. Grrrr.

Edited by martpol

Well, I've seen the Rev play 9 times in total, inside gig halls and on festival fields (Leeds twice; V once) and they are an absolutely astonishing band to watch live, regardless. But I will say this - they sound a lot better when the sun's gone down. Their music is just better somehow at night - I guess it's that kind of sound.

I would absolutely love to see Mercury Rev at Glastonbury; it would make my festival, hell it would make my life frankly. I've loved this band for 12 years now and even had the pleasure of a drink with Grasshopper, Anthony Molina and Jeff Mercel once - they bought in the booze too, generous souls that they are.

If they're free, then Michael Eavis & Co could do a lot worse than booking the Rev. I also can't believe that one of the most talented, genius, original bands of the past 50 years is going to go anywhere near a Coldplay tour. It's a sad inditement of the music scene frankly. I've nothing against Coldplay, but they're derivative of greater musicians than themselves and I can only hope that Chris Martin learns something about stage presence from Jonathon Donahue. Donahue seldom even speaks between songs (though he was quite chatty on the last UK tour!) but still manages to project an atmosphere that can only be described as extra-dimensional.

God speed the Rev and here's to hoping they touch down on the holy lay-lines this year.

I've only recently been getting into them which is a little odd seeing as I've loved the flaming lips for years all i really knew of them is godess on a highway and they're awesome cover of planet caravan.

i am loving them to bits and hope they do make an appearance as i think it would be something really special given the right setting.

Great Thread, I'll be honest, Mercury Rev are one of thpse bands that I didn't know where still going. Funny band, have done some great stuff, but band that for me come in waves, if you know what I mean. I loved Yerself is steam and the one after and saw them in, I dunno, '92 I guess. at the Riverside in Newcastle with about 15 people in the audience. Lost track of them after that till Deserter's Songs came out, fell in love with them all over again, then didn't really get on with the follow up album (all is dream?). Lost touch with them again, but from re-reading this thread will have to hunt down what they're up to now.

Thanks

Great Thread, I'll be honest, Mercury Rev are one of thpse bands that I didn't know where still going. Funny band, have done some great stuff, but band that for me come in waves, if you know what I mean. I loved Yerself is steam and the one after and saw them in, I dunno, '92 I guess. at the Riverside in Newcastle with about 15 people in the audience. Lost track of them after that till Deserter's Songs came out, fell in love with them all over again, then didn't really get on with the follow up album (all is dream?). Lost touch with them again, but from re-reading this thread will have to hunt down what they're up to now.

Thanks

Edited by DaveMac