David Byrne?

Guest hooray!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, I'd be in heaven - the best band ever are Talking Heads. :wacko:

I'll be getting to see Byrne & Eno on their tour (and they'd better play stuff off 'My Life In the Bush of Ghosts' else I'll be mightily upset ;)) but would be ecstatic to get to see them at Glasto too.

Byrne played in (I think it was) '98 .... it was a bit of a shit show tbh (I saw him a few other times on the same tour), but that raved-up version of 'I Zimbra' he did was one of the best live adaptations I've ever heard. :)

Me, I'd be in heaven - the best band ever are Talking Heads. :rolleyes:

I'll be getting to see Byrne & Eno on their tour (and they'd better play stuff off 'My Life In the Bush of Ghosts' else I'll be mightily upset :rolleyes:) but would be ecstatic to get to see them at Glasto too.

Byrne played in (I think it was) '98 .... it was a bit of a shit show tbh (I saw him a few other times on the same tour), but that raved-up version of 'I Zimbra' he did was one of the best live adaptations I've ever heard. :lol:

Sweet, i'm seeing him for the first time on this tour as well, are you going to one of London nights? Would be great to see him at glasto, whether with eno or on his own. Isn't he a bit like tom waits though, as in he much prefers doing his own shows to appearing at festivals?

I'm seeing him in Bristol.

He's done plenty of UK festivals over the last ten years - Glastonbury, Womad, Summer Sundae, Out There, and maybe some others that I forget.

I think that most acts would rather do their own shows than shows they have little control over as is the case with festivals. The up-side with a festival tho is that if the performer succeeds in winning over the crowd (which invariably isn't made up from just their own fans as a gig is) then I reckon it's got to be a far more rewarding experience.

Does byrne fit the 'older, rockier act who would appeal to younger fans- with or without his band' description?

I'm doubtful but i'd love it. I regret not being born for Talking Heads, especially Stop Making Sense- how good is the light dance?!

He's not an act I'd considered to fit those words, because he's simply not big enough to be considered as a headliner for the Pyramid.

If he was to play, I'd expect him to headline or be second from top on Jazzworld (in '98 he headlined JW).

I'm seeing him in Bristol.

He's done plenty of UK festivals over the last ten years - Glastonbury, Womad, Summer Sundae, Out There, and maybe some others that I forget.

I think that most acts would rather do their own shows than shows they have little control over as is the case with festivals. The up-side with a festival tho is that if the performer succeeds in winning over the crowd (which invariably isn't made up from just their own fans as a gig is) then I reckon it's got to be a far more rewarding experience.

• 1 month later...
And werent he good that year if a bit mad. (as always)

Talking Heads are still probably the best band that I've ever seen.... (maybe NY and crazy horse might be close though) so any appearance by David Byrne would be great adn even better if Brian Eno is involved

nah, he wasn't good - it was a disappointment. I saw him three times on that tour, and Glasto was the worst.

But I'm exceedingly green ..... Talking Heads are the one band I'd kill to have seen live. Having met David, as well as Chris and Tina (and interviewed Chris, and had my photo taken with Chris by Jarvis Cocker :P), simply doesn't make up for never having seen Talking Heads. :lol:

" Talking Heads are the one band I'd kill to have seen live "

Absolutely .

can you let us know if there's any slight possibilty of it happening ?

superb bit of name dropping , B)

unfortunately, there just isn't a hope in hell of it ever happening - there's just too much bad feeling between members, and I'm really not surprised knowing a little of the details (none of which have come from my contacts with the band members, just public info).

I was quite shocked when Bynre played WOMAD a few years ago - the number of youngsters in the crowd that knew every word to the Talking Heads numbers he played was far more than I'd have ever expected.

Someone told me recently that Talking Heads came top of a poll on 6music of which band should reform. Spot on. :D

I always make a point of seeing any of the band when they're touring - I've seen Byrne countless times over the years and he's always fantastic, and I've seen Tom Tom Club's last two UK performances (their only two in 20 years). :lol:

Here's a pic I took of TTC when they played Meltdown last summer - Chris said he thought the pics were excellent. :) .... more pics here.

(I really don't do the "I've met rock stars" thing .... this band is my one exception :P)

TomTomClub-NRG025.JPG

Edited by eFestivals

(I really don't do the "I've met rock stars" thing .... this band is my one exception )

..and with very good reason . really meant to ask about the possibility about david byrne playing,gave up hope of ever seeing Talking Heads many , many years ago ,major disappointment .

(I really don't do the "I've met rock stars" thing .... this band is my one exception )

..and with very good reason . really meant to ask about the possibility about david byrne playing,gave up hope of ever seeing Talking Heads many , many years ago ,major disappointment .

I'll be quite surprised if Byrne doesn't play at least one UK fest this summer. It's been a few years since he's played one, and he's touring.

So Glastonbury is a good possibility. :lol: