Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

Started The Punisher on Netflix last night, very, very good. Very gritty, could be the best Marvel release on Netflix yet 

Watched the return episode of Peaky Blinders last night. After a couple of series of building the family up with lots of twists and turns it looks like this seasons plot is a very simple but effective one family vs another, the first episode was brilliant with a good shock at the end 

Netflix Defenders was not good. I've just finished it, after forcing myself to watch all 8 episodes between August and now. Episodes 6 and 7 were actually pretty good, but everything surrounding was poor. I still think they've got a great Daredevil and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, so the bad bits aren't completely horrible, and Sigourney Weaver so good that you almost don't realise how crap the writing is for her character. They really fucked up Elektra though, she was great in Daredevil but here she was completely wasted, I didn't have any idea where she was coming from at the end of it. Also there was an instance in the last episode of Protect Ya Neck being played over a fight scene, but it was really low in the mix and didn't fit with the poorly choreographed fight scene at all, it was all muffled out by the punching sound effects and ended up coming across embarrassing af. How does a TV show with this much profile have editing that bad in this day and age? Fucking amateur hour, man.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:48 AM, MrZigster said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Last one of the season was a cracker. A fan boy episode for sure.

Really nice touch to end the series - had the feel of a last ever episode, what with it coming full circle to ep1 dialogue.  Thought to myself about how many people watching would get the reference, but I think anyone watching the recent series will be fully fledged Dwarfers and could quote the same bit.

Loved the return of Talkie too!

• Upvote 1

On 21/11/2017 at 11:06 AM, gary1979666 said:

Really nice touch to end the series - had the feel of a last ever episode, what with it coming full circle to ep1 dialogue.  Thought to myself about how many people watching would get the reference, but I think anyone watching the recent series will be fully fledged Dwarfers and could quote the same bit.

Loved the return of Talkie too!

Ha ha. Everyone's alive Arnold (and the rest).

Before avatars were a thing, my Unix command prompts were set to randomize between Talkie Toaster (TM) phrases. Do you want some toast? How about a Bagel? Etc.. :lol:

That was about '93. God I feel so old.

Then I used Holly as my works windows machines wallpaper/screensaver. Everybody wanted a copy.

Anyway. Back on thread. Also enjoying:

The JIm Jefferies Show. One of my favourite acts seen at Glastonbury. Done well he has. OK it's your formulaic, US, late night type thing, but it's up there with John Oliver's show (which is also worth enjoying, if you don't already).

I wonder if DCs Legends of Tomorrow (and its ilk) will come to be seen as our generations equivalent to TV 60's Batman. Just so camp and overacted it's wonderful (darlings).

Likewise. Scorpion is the new A-Team. That word formulaic again. Every episode is basically the same. We're geniuses. But we didn't foresee that. But we can fix that. Then something else goes wrong. they fix that. Repeat for 45 minutes. Every bloody episode.

Detectorists. Just watch it.

I could go on. I watch way much too much TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Anybody watching/watched Dirk Gently? Actually really enjoying it. Batshit crazy but quite fun... 

Really enjoyed it to start with but starting to wane now (only watched the first 2 of season 2 and not rushing to watch the next).

Been watching ‘Love’ on Netflix which I’ve been really enjoying.

Also had a lot of love for Dirk Gently as previously mentioned, gutted it’s been cancelled.

Quite enjoying the Idris Elba ‘The Long Run’.

Has anyone watched the Sky show ‘Urban Myths’? Set a series link and got a couple to watch.

Also really enjoyed ‘The Good Doctor’ but I’m a big Richard Schiff fan and loved ‘House’ and this show is done by the same guy.

On 21/04/2018 at 6:15 PM, metallimuse said:

Been watching ‘Love’ on Netflix which I’ve been really enjoying.

Also had a lot of love for Dirk Gently as previously mentioned, gutted it’s been cancelled.

Quite enjoying the Idris Elba ‘The Long Run’.

Has anyone watched the Sky show ‘Urban Myths’? Set a series link and got a couple to watch.

Also really enjoyed ‘The Good Doctor’ but I’m a big Richard Schiff fan and loved ‘House’ and this show is done by the same guy.

Really enjoyed Urban Myths. The first one of season one is my favourite. Did that really maybe happen?

I've started watching Weeds on Netflix. Gotta say, at 2 and a bit seasons in, it has a lot better tempo than Breaking Bad did early. For all of BB's great qualities in seasons 3 and 4, it took a hell of a lot longer to get going, and Weeds, which clearly inspired a lot of it, is far more gripping early even if not reaching the same peak. Thoroughly enjoying it and hoping it maintains this quality through the rest of the show, nice level of wit and intriguing plot.

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I've started watching Weeds on Netflix. Gotta say, at 2 and a bit seasons in, it has a lot better tempo than Breaking Bad did early. For all of BB's great qualities in seasons 3 and 4, it took a hell of a lot longer to get going, and Weeds, which clearly inspired a lot of it, is far more gripping early even if not reaching the same peak. Thoroughly enjoying it and hoping it maintains this quality through the rest of the show, nice level of wit and intriguing plot.

I loved Weeds when it was on, but felt it lost a lot of momentum in the later series - but still worth seeing though.  First time round with BB I gave up in S1, but was hooked on a second watch of it.

Also worth noting, the little kid in it voices Nemo in the original film.

8 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

I loved Weeds when it was on, but felt it lost a lot of momentum in the later series - but still worth seeing though.  First time round with BB I gave up in S1, but was hooked on a second watch of it.

I felt BB didn't get going until Saul appeared. It took me a long time to get through the first 2 seasons, although 3 and 4 gave the payoff for it. Weeds has been far more gripping so far (halfway through S3) than early BB was.

9 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

The last series of Weeds I thought could of done with not bothering but all that preceded it I thought was bang on!

The story arc and natural progression was perfect but the last series just didn’t need to bother. Everything has already come to it’s natural conclusion.

On 25/04/2018 at 5:42 PM, metallimuse said:

The last series of Weeds I thought could of done with not bothering but all that preceded it I thought was bang on!

The story arc and natural progression was perfect but the last series just didn’t need to bother. Everything has already come to it’s natural conclusion.

Agreed. It’s a great series that went one series too long. I think it produced some fantastic characters, both main and supporting cast.