Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

23 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

First couple of episodes are only OK, but it picks up well.

Yeah I think I watch the first 8 episodes. It was good, but not anything spectacular. Seemed like most episodes followed exactly the same pattern, and I was getting a bit bored by that in the end. Still some good stuff in it for sure, and maybe its just because I'd been getting such rave reviews from friends that my expectations were completely unrealistic.

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Yeah I think I watch the first 8 episodes. It was good, but not anything spectacular. Seemed like most episodes followed exactly the same pattern, and I was getting a bit bored by that in the end. Still some good stuff in it for sure, and maybe its just because I'd been getting such rave reviews from friends that my expectations were completely unrealistic.

It's very entertaining, but it's not anything revolutionary. It does keep getting better, but extreme reviews are kinda ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2017 at 1:15 AM, Spindles said:

I watched the leaked series 5 of Orange is the new black.  The opening episode was great, a real rollercoaster of emotions and very funny, but by the end of the series I felt that it was a disappointment overall.  Not much really happened, characters didn't advance at all and some of the strongest characters were either barely featured or wholly absent.  There seemed to be a little bit of every character but never much of any one in particular, with Piper demoted to less screen time and plot importance than almost anyone else in comparison to once being the focal point.  For a series that has ended every series with a bang this was definitely more of a whimper, it felt like there was another episode needed to actually feel like a finale.

The leak I saw of OITNBG only went up to episode ten. The rest came out within the last week I think.

American Gods is just the nuts. Loved the book (and Gaiman's work in general). He's said that he hopes he can get Sandman filmed now. Bring it on.

Legion was interestingly weird.

Edited by MrZigster

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

The leak I saw of OITNBG only went up to episode ten. The rest came out within the last week I think.

American Gods is just the nuts. Loved the book (and Gaiman's work in general). He's said that he hopes he can get Sandman filmed now. Bring it on.

Legion was interestingly weird.

Explains a lot.  I thought it was just a 10 episode series.

A mate with psychedlic tastes recommends legion to me but I'm somewhat jaded about all this superhero nonsense.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

8.6 on Imdb. That's probably worth a look then.

Am 3 episodes in - I want to watch more which is a good sign I guess 

Rick & Morty's back. Hooray.

No idea what this is in reference to - should I? 

I've never watched The Sopranos. Should I bother or would it feel a bit dated now?

Still in the top 5 tv series of all time imo so definitely yes I think you should watch it - not that my opinion is worth listening to. 

Edited by TheGayTent

23 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

No idea what this is in reference to - should I? 

Still in the top 5 tv series of all time imo so definitely yes I think you should watch it - not that my opinion is worth listening to.

Yes. Yes you should. It's in reference to the TV show Rick & Morty.

The most inventive adult animation since, well, possibly when The Simpsons and Family Guy and South Park were considered cutting edge. I hate to get all Amazon but, if you liked them (once), you may like R&M.

They fit a lot of plot and story into twenty odd minutes. It's fast. The episodes feel a lot longer.

It probably helps if you're an old school Sci-Fi fan and also liked Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

A 9.3 on Imdb.

As for The Sopranos: I'd been binge watching old Charlie Brooker stuff on Youtube and he did a "Top 5 American shows you may not know about" segment. Sopranos was the only one (iirc) that I haven't watched. Oh, and thinking it through, maybe also House.

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Yes. Yes you should. It's in reference to the TV show Rick & Morty.

The most inventive adult animation since, well, possibly when The Simpsons and Family Guy and South Park were considered cutting edge. I hate to get all Amazon but, if you liked them (once), you may like R&M.

They fit a lot of plot and story into twenty odd minutes. It's fast. The episodes feel a lot longer.

It probably helps if you're an old school Sci-Fi fan and also liked Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

A 9.3 on Imdb.

Sounds like I'd hate it :lol:

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

As for The Sopranos: I'd been binge watching old Charlie Brooker stuff on Youtube and he did a "Top 5 American shows you may not know about" segment. Sopranos was the only one (iirc) that I haven't watched. Oh, and thinking it through, maybe also House.

How coukd anyone not have heard of the Sopranos??!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the original 2 series of Twin Peaks again.  I'm determined to make it to the end this time... I normally give up half way through series 2.

Watched Series 2 episode 7 last night.  The one where

the killer is revealed.

An absolutely terrifying and mesmerising piece of television.

Edited by windy_miller

On 09/08/2017 at 0:24 PM, TheGayTent said:

Sounds like I'd hate it :lol:

How coukd anyone not have heard of the Sopranos??!!

I should have mentioned that CB said "If you like the Sopranos then you should watch these...".

Even at the time everyone would have heard of The Sopranos.

I've just got to season 4. That's about to be interrupted as Narcos Season 3 has landed. 

On 31/08/2017 at 1:21 PM, windy_miller said:

I've been watching the original 2 series of Twin Peaks again.  I'm determined to make it to the end this time... I normally give up half way through series 2.

Watched Series 2 episode 7 last night.  The one where

Hide contents

the killer is revealed.

An absolutely terrifying and mesmerising piece of television.

I can't believe how downhill Twin Peaks went. I'm glad we at least got the first iconic season, but if only David Lynch had kept control!

Haven't started watching the latest series yet.

• 1 month later...

This looks like it could be very good, Twin Peaks meets Stranger Things?, 

There's so much on at the moment or coming out soon.., Electric Dreams on Channel 4 is pretty good, some episodes are better then others, working my way through the latest seasons of OITNB  & Better Call Saul, still haven't finished season 3 of Twin Peaks yet either!, new Walking Dead and Stranger Things not far off :D

• 2 weeks later...

The final season of Episodes was just wonderful. I've always liked it but this season just excelled. Lot's of great set ups that enabled characters to give some hysterical performances. It wound up nicely. Great writing. Hopefully it will finally get the credit it deserves.

Mr Robot. The intro to episode 2 of the latest season was just class. Had me glued.

And. Red Dwarf is so back on form. I still miss Holly though :ph34r:.

Has this thread died?

Is no one watching nafink on TV these days?

The Orville. Seth McFarlane's Star Trek type show (rip off). The latest one (episode 7) was just a classic old school morality play like Roddenberry used to do so well. Could well have been written by Charlie Brooker (it "borrowed" heavily from Black Mirror).

Good old stand alone episodes. Like The X-Files used to do so well. What happened to them?

It's like every show has to have an overall, soap opera like story arc in these days of binge watching.

Compare The Orville to Star Trek:Discovery. I know which one I prefer. And which one's more "on cannon".

I'd be interested to know how Mr.McFarlane is getting away with such a blatant rip off. Oh. Hang on. Maybe the same way he's still getting away with blatantly copying The Simpsons.

Can't wait for the inevitable The Orville/Star Trek:Discovery crossover ;).

Edited by MrZigster

• 2 weeks later...