Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The expanse on SyFy (series 1 available on netflix).  It had been recommended to me before and I'd watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and given up on it, however series 2 is now running and I thought I'd give it another shot and am so glad I did.  Once you get towards the latter part of the first series and start to see what it is really about is is gripping stuff which more than makes up for the slow start introducing you to the characters and background to the real story beneath.

Series 2, however is absolutely the shit from the get go, fantastic storyline, characters, effects and the kind of attention to detail for the physics of space travel that make most other sci fi movies/series look childish by comparison.  Seriously some of the best space battle scenes I've ever seen.  Every episode of series 2 so far has pretty much ended up with me sat with a big grin after a "holy shit?" moment where something brilliant and unexpected happened and I can't wait to see where things are going to go.

Up there with GoT and Westworld in terms of high production values and intrigue for me.

28 minutes ago, Spindles said:

The expanse on SyFy (series 1 available on netflix).  It had been recommended to me before and I'd watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and given up on it, however series 2 is now running and I thought I'd give it another shot and am so glad I did.  Once you get towards the latter part of the first series and start to see what it is really about is is gripping stuff which more than makes up for the slow start introducing you to the characters and background to the real story beneath.

Series 2, however is absolutely the shit from the get go, fantastic storyline, characters, effects and the kind of attention to detail for the physics of space travel that make most other sci fi movies/series look childish by comparison.  Seriously some of the best space battle scenes I've ever seen.  Every episode of series 2 so far has pretty much ended up with me sat with a big grin after a "holy shit?" moment where something brilliant and unexpected happened and I can't wait to see where things are going to go.

Up there with GoT and Westworld in terms of high production values and intrigue for me.

Maybe I'll give it another go. Like you I think I got 3 or 4 episodes in. It wasn't that I didn't like it, just more 'so much "Peak TV" so little time

On 20/03/2017 at 3:51 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Anyone started Iron Fist yet? Not expecting much after Luke Cage , but am hoping it'll be more Daredevil standard and it leads up well to the defenders.

Not sure whether to bother investing my time on it. The reviews have been universally dreadful.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, MrZigster said:

I got about three episodes into Iron Fist and intended to alternate episodes with Snatch, but Snatch won and I've been binge-ing my way through that.

I've heard not so good things about Iron Fist from my comic-book-fanatic-friend and he raved about the other Marvel shows on Netflix which I couldn't get into so if he says Iron Fist is bad - I won't even bother.

Black Sails anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the shitshow of The Walking Dead is done it means one thing: TV's about to get good again! The Leftovers, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Silicon Valley, Veep (and possibly some stuff I've forgotten about) - all of my favourite shows. and Game of Thrones after all of that and Curb Your Enthusiasm at some point this year too. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the leaked series 5 of Orange is the new black.  The opening episode was great, a real rollercoaster of emotions and very funny, but by the end of the series I felt that it was a disappointment overall.  Not much really happened, characters didn't advance at all and some of the strongest characters were either barely featured or wholly absent.  There seemed to be a little bit of every character but never much of any one in particular, with Piper demoted to less screen time and plot importance than almost anyone else in comparison to once being the focal point.  For a series that has ended every series with a bang this was definitely more of a whimper, it felt like there was another episode needed to actually feel like a finale.

Edited by Spindles

Made up with the announcement that a Judge Dredd TV series is in the offing.  I thought the 2012 film was a good effort and Karl Urban has said he'd love to take the role to a HBO standard series, so I'm really hoping that either he gets cast or they find someone equally suitable to play old stoney face.

Judge Dredd poster

I'm going to re-read American Gods before watching, one of the best books I've ever read. 

Finished Big Little Lies last night and absolutely loved it. Fantastic performances from the adult and child cast and the soundtrack was brilliant.