Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

I began to feel pretty uncomfortable abouts watching MAM by the end for one of the reasons cited in that article, using real life as 'entertainment - particularly Teresa and Brendan's (I have less sympathy for Avery himself). 

I am totally sucked in by the Serial podcast though, but I do feel she presents a much more balanced approach, at least in the 6 I've listened to so far. 

I've just bought a 4k telly, which was a fucking bargain to be honest, its a 48inch panasonic viera, from currys, with 3d (not bothered) smart tv, and 4k. If you bear in mind they were £2,500 only 2 years ago - at £429.00 its amazing.

As a result, I might finally watch S3 of house of cards on netflix, as its one of the very few titles on there that is actually in 4K UHD.

Edited by t8yman

On 1/23/2016 at 9:15 AM, t8yman said:

I've just bought a 4k telly, which was a fucking bargain to be honest, its a 48inch panasonic viera, from currys, with 3d (not bothered) smart tv, and 4k. If you bear in mind they were £2,500 only 2 years ago - at £429.00 its amazing.

As a result, I might finally watch S3 of house of cards on netflix, as its one of the very few titles on there that is actually in 4K UHD.

I have had one for the last year (might be a slightly different model). It is rather good. I was told the 3d screen makes the contrast better but they could have been talking rot of course (only see one film in 3d). The upscaling of normal TV is very good

Edited by fred quimby

well the new x-files didnt grab me. ive never been a big scifi fan, but always kinda liked the conspiracy theory angle. episode 1 was OK'ish, then episode two lost me about halfway through. we paused it for a loo break for mrs t8y, and I went to bed rather than finish it.

some might like it, but its just not my kind of thing any more. interested to hear other peoples thoughts. 

The production values were much higher, it was nice to see the characters later in life, but ultimately there was a reason that they ended the x-files.  It was sort of nice with it's knowing nods to nostalgia, I'll keep watching with vague interest.

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

New X-Files is just atrocious. It's actually quite impressive just how badly made and written it is. 

i think thats totally unfair. its well acted, well shot, well lit, well edited. how can you say its badly made?

writing is subjective, its not a million miles away from the original series.

i didnt like it, but i can't say its shite.

12 minutes ago, t8yman said:

i think thats totally unfair. its well acted, well shot, well lit, well edited. how can you say its badly made?

writing is subjective, its not a million miles away from the original series.

i didnt like it, but i can't say its shite.

See, I didn't think it was any of those things. It was lit like a soap opera and directed pretty flatly. 

As for the writing, it was just utterly appalling. It made zero sense, was completely inconsistent with both the original series and with itself, had little to no interest in establishing even basic motivations for anyone, and seemed to simultaneously want to wallow in nostalgia while being contemporary and cutting edge, which just made the conspiracy seem kind of laughable.

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I love all Fargo. Can't really do spoilers on my phone so can't be more specific but the penultimate episode during the motel scene was a bit bizarre. 

yeah it was weird but i enjoyed it. read an interview with the writers that they intentionally put that bit in just so people would think 'what the fuck?'. probably my favourite series of 2015, joint with The Leftovers

Just a heads up for anyone that might have been tempted by my telly bargain. Don't! I took mine back due to a buzz on thursday, i got a replacement set, which i took home, rigged up, and it started buzzing too. I swapped it for a fairly similar Samsung, at a cost of a further £170. 

I cant recommend that Panasonic to anyone.

Also, I have been hammering Parks and Rec. Its absolutely brilliant. Very good writing, and Amy Poehler (who I had zero hopes of liking in it initially) absolutely steals the show. Swanson and all the others are great, but Leslie Knope is one of the funniest TV characters for a long time. I think I just started S3.

If you don't come away loving Leslie Knope you have no heart.  Also Rob Lowe as Chris Trager is a fantastic and unexpected comedy role, the fact that he didn't get overplayed really helped there.

Many say that you have to get past series 1 of Parks and Rec before it really starts to get worth watching, don't know if I noticed that myself, but I binge watched the lot.

At the moment I am going through the US version of the Office, Dwight is a fantastic comedy character that makes the whole show worth watching.  The episode with Jim and Pam visiting his beet farm is one of the best things I have seen, it reminded me of the last M Night Shyamalan film.

11 hours ago, Spindles said:

Many say that you have to get past series 1 of Parks and Rec before it really starts to get worth watching, don't know if I noticed that myself, but I binge watched the lot.

I found you had to give the characters a chance to warm to them fully and really appreciate them and as season one was so short its about right that everyone starts to really "get it" and love it by season 2.

I would believe if everyone who says it doesn't get going until season 2 watched season one back they would appreciate it a lot more than they did the first time around as they know the characters now.

Knope is a gem, but Swanson is still my favourite character on the show btw

Swanson and Knope just get better with every episode. I love Knope's innocent, childlike enthusiasm, and total lack of cynicism. And Swanson's manliness, love of meat, love of freedom, and love of manliness. I feel I might rank quite well on his "Pyramid of Greatness"

Knope - when she is drunk, is a joy to behold.