Homebrew

Guest Pinhead

I've done a homebrew every year since 1995 for Glasto. Usually get a good 40 - 50 pints out of it.

Has anyone been watching Neil Morrissey's brewery venture on the telly every Tuesday night? He's been trying to set up his own micro brewery at the back of a pub to brew his own blonde ale and bitter.

Last night they featured him taking his beer to Glasto 2008 to sell it in the Workers Beer Tent. Good to promote homebrew again at festivals - I think people used to do it a lot for festivals but rarely seem to meet anyone who has bothered these days.

I've done a homebrew every year since 1995 for Glasto. Usually get a good 40 - 50 pints out of it.

Has anyone been watching Neil Morrissey's brewery venture on the telly every Tuesday night? He's been trying to set up his own micro brewery at the back of a pub to brew his own blonde ale and bitter.

Last night they featured him taking his beer to Glasto 2008 to sell it in the Workers Beer Tent. Good to promote homebrew again at festivals - I think people used to do it a lot for festivals but rarely seem to meet anyone who has bothered these days.

I brew all year round but have never taken any to Glasto. In fact I'm jusging a work-organised beer festival this evening. Bit of a double-edged sword that one, on the one hand I get to try all the beers, but on the other hand I have to try all the beers.

I get all my kits and equipment from Brew-It-Your-Self. Woodfordes (being local to me) are my favourite, sometimes I add either extra brown sugar and on one occasion, treacle. The treacle was ok but it made it very dark and very rich in flavour and I tend to prefer the lighter ales so haven't done that variation again.

If you haven't already got one, a heating belt helps keep the temperature constant, especially in the winter months when the mixture temperature might fall quite low.

I always have a bottle or 2 of skittle vodka to take with me although i'm about to share a super secret tip with everyone....... BLACKJACKS/FRUIT SALADS depending on your taste.

Wack aload in the freezer for a few hours, put in vodka, then do the same as you would with skittles. Thanks to my blackjack infusion i lost most of wednesday night/thursday morning.

I usually take around 5 litres of homebrew wine to festies. I mix it with tonic water so its around the 8 - 10% mark and it does us well..

I make around 45 - 50 gallon a year (blackberry, bilberry, elder, sloe, haw, rowan, plum etc etc...)

Quality - never thought of trying the wine, but would make a change. I find its a bit harder cos it can spoil more easily. Make the Sloe Vodka / Gin each year for xmas and what's left over normally comes to Glasto in the summer.

Bilberry, blackberry and elderberry when in season, last one gets added to with haws, rowan, sloe or anything left over in the garden..

I don't bother with flower wines as they are far harder to get good results from..

When not in season, I use plum/apricot etc off the market, ask the local market stall owner to keep aside all the bruised stuff he can't sell, make him an offer based on weight and percentage you will be able to salvage and it normally works out cheap..better than it being thrown away as well!!

Always used to be able to find someone up in the Greenfields selling homebrew but the last time I saw that was yonks ago now..

• 3 months later...

Im a mad homebrewer since giving up the life of class 'A's so this is what im taking with me for me & my lass.

All in 2L pop bottles & sediment free.

Aldi Turbo Cider 12L of 6.6% = 33.5p per pint.

Aldi Turbo cider 12L of 9% = 36p per pint.

AG Deuchars IPA 4.4% = 32.5p per pint. Quite dear this one.

I will be taking a few other different types of ales as well that will be ready in time.

Wont be taking my AG lager as theres nothing worse than warm lager.

You should all save yourselves a fortune & make your own Turbo Cider. Its dead easy.