The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

I like him, his "naive" style gets answers out of people who may be less trusting of a confident, probing interviewer. It can be annoying some times though.

Even with people who know him and what he's doing. Sometimes one of his subjects will make a comment along those lines, but they'll still end up falling for it.

Not off the top of my head no. Ive that version at home alright. Ill PM you later if you havent found it.

ok cheers, i did have it but i can't find it on my hardd drive now, doqnloaded a cople of copies but there are no subs :(

Downloaded a load of the Classic Album series. The Doors first album was on Sky Arts the other night. Hadn’t seen it before. Amazing stuff. Haven’t listened to it in a year or so. Hearing the individual band members broken up at the mixing desk was very interesting.

Forgot how good Jims lyrics were too.

Summing up the 60s hip kids:

Lost in a Roman... wilderness of pain

And all the children are insane

• Upvote 1

Loved the Creation Records doc.

Yep it was excellent. And not too much of Oasis!

What's everyones opinions on Louis Theroux? I always seem to find the subject matter interesting, but his manner/interview technique f**king dire in parts. Think I seen a Guardian article describing him as a 'Bambi on ice' when talking to someone, which I think's a good image. There's just been a two-parter on this Miami 'Mega-jail' still available on iplayer, pretty interesting.

That's his style though, lulling people into a false sense of security. He was particularly good when dealing with America's Most Hated Family.

Downloaded a load of the Classic Album series. The Doors first album was on Sky Arts the other night. Hadn’t seen it before. Amazing stuff. Haven’t listened to it in a year or so. Hearing the individual band members broken up at the mixing desk was very interesting.

Have had that Sky+'ed for ages but never gotten around to it. Always find I need to be in the right 'mood' to listen to them, may stick it on tonight.

That's his style though, lulling people into a false sense of security. He was particularly good when dealing with America's Most Hated Family.

Yeah, of course, but it doesn't work in every situation, and he never seems to adjust his 'style' according to who he's interviewing. I am a fan though.

Have had that Sky+'ed for ages but never gotten around to it. Always find I need to be in the right 'mood' to listen to them, may stick it on tonight.

Whatever mood you’re in, The Doors will bring you somewhere else. Listening to Waiting for the Sun last night. Stunning stuff.

Whatever mood you’re in, The Doors will bring you somewhere else. Listening to Waiting for the Sun last night. Stunning stuff.

Couldn't agree more, remember listening to them for the first time a few years ago, when I was fifteen or something. Amazing. Strange Days is just something else, considering the amount of stuff Jim was consuming around that time too, the mind boggles.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched countdown to zero after Kermode gave it a good review on friday. Very enjoyable, very informative and rather scary stuff. I didnt really fully understand what "the bomb" was all about, other than how much it f**ked up hiroshima and nagasaki at the end of WW2, but f**k me! Apparently the equivalent of a tennis balls worth of HEU (highly enriched uranium) would level Manhattan. 25kg of HEU is about the size of a grapefruit, and 100Kg would make a right mess of a major city.

There are some pretty big names drafted in as talking heads, Blair, Gorbachev, Carter and more.

Without major spoilers - there are a number of anecdotes that attest to us being within minutes of all out nuclear war (due to human error) in the last 25 years.

It has a little bit of a propaganda feel in places, but it doesnt really feel tacky at all.

Finally got to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams. Stunning. And pretty much the only film I've seen where the 3D genuinely added something to it. And the only non-animated film that didn't look shit. Still gave me a headache and eye strain but for the first time I didn't mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

watched "the greatest movie ever sold" last night. its morgan "supersize me" spurlocks' new movie. its about product placement, and was really interesting. well worth a watch.

I've ordered this - I'll let you know how I get on. Ever since starting to watch more American TV, it's really noticeable. Especially on Fox TV shows.

In other news, do I understand correctly that the Paradise Lost three are finally free?

I've ordered this - I'll let you know how I get on. Ever since starting to watch more American TV, it's really noticeable. Especially on Fox TV shows.

In other news, do I understand correctly that the Paradise Lost three are finally free?

They are. But still not technically innocent. Which is weird. Means they can't sue the state. And that the guilty party is never found

• 1 month later...

if you follow peter serafinowicz on twitter you may have spotted his tweet about "the staircase"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388644/

he was having a to and fro about "great tv drama" and whilst this is technically telly, it really deserves not to buried in with the drivel that can go on in the telly thread. it is an absolute "fly on the wall" documentary,

its fucking brilliant.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT google anything whatsoever about the case. and DO NOT read anything about it on imdb or anywhere else. just download it, buy it, steal it, whatever. just watch it.

the basic, spoiler free jist of it is thus.

michael peterson and his wife are having a glass of wine by their pool before retiring to bed, she goes up and he stays for a little longer finishing his wine and smoking his pipe. he heads inside to find her at the bottom of the staircase in a pool of blood, calls 911 - the ambulance arrives with the police, who immedeatly treat the scene as a crime scene, and subsequently charge him with her murder.

what follows, is 8x45 minute episodes of amazingness. the cameras are there through every stage of the defence up to and including the verdict. and the twists and turns will blow you away. you see and hear pretty much everything that peterson and his defense team see and hear. me and the wife watched it in 2 nights. so did my mum and dad.

that is enough.

Edited by t8yman