First timer for Australia

Guest lak attack

Hi, i'm planning on heading to Glasto next year for the first time and coming from australia, i was just wondering what the best form of accomodation to use is? Are you able to hire tents and what not there as it would be a bit difficult for me to bring one over form the other side of the world.

thanks in advance

Camping is a must at Glasto so you'll need a tent for sure, especially as you won't be able to bring a camper van with you from OZ :D

You can buy everything on site so you needn't bring anything really - It'll cost you more than if you did though.

You'll probably end up traveling through Bristol en route and there are loads of camping shops there you could get stuff from.

This one is a good army surplus store that can do cheap camping stuff:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...i65dEB&cd=1

Or Milets:

http://www.multimap.com/clients/browse.cgi...mp;basketvalue=

There are Milets on the site though so might not be worth it...

Hey mate. I too am returning from Oz but I am probably heading back to me house in East Sussex to pick my tent up on the way to the Big G but enough about me...

HERE is the option you want...

Joe Banana's THE uber Festival Camping store at Glastonbury allows you to buy your gear online in advance and then you pick it up on site. Probably will not active at the moment but if you check it out from April next year you should be grand. And if you do not want to lug it back to Oz, you can hopefully deposit your tent to be recycled (aka passed on to a charity). Go on the Pick Up Point page and before your eyes you will see all the festies good old Joe is supplying this year alone!

Enjoy. By the way...JB's IS the overlord of camping...but note...he doesnt do any hi-fi. My mate doesnt half confuse me when he is referring to JB's at Glasto when I think he is talking about the rather ace JB's Hi-Fi (THE most addictive music store on this planet!)

Hi, i'm planning on heading to Glasto next year for the first time and coming from australia, i was just wondering what the best form of accomodation to use is? Are you able to hire tents and what not there as it would be a bit difficult for me to bring one over form the other side of the world.

thanks in advance

thanks heaps for that, need to seriosuly think about this cause itll cost alot jst for a few days so yea need sum serious thought here

[b

and yes jb hifi is the best shop ever lol

I've gone to glasto from Oz. Biggest thing to remember with gear is that on return to Oz, Australian Customs is uber strict on anyone that's been to a farm and want to inspect and clean boots, tents, everything....... Bit of a problem with glasto as mud is bound to hit your gear somewhere, some time.

SOLUTION - take over second hand and/or on the way out and/or cheap gear that you throw or give away before returning. (Sorry Mr Eavis but that's the reality for us Aussies.) Anything we needed when we got there we got from Argos and Tesco before we got to glasto but as everyone else is saying here there's plenty of stalls on site to buy from. Wellies are sold by numerous stalls all over the site. You can buy there and they were only a pound more than buying them offsite. So don't buy them till you have to.

TRAVEL LIGHT (yes I'm shouting) - as the others are saying. Best advice I adhered to was - that you really truly only need two outfits - one for inside your tent and one for outside (which consists of layers). You have to do long walks over very rough (if it's dry) or very muddy ground to get to your desired campsite. AND/OR put all your spare gear in the nearest property lockup near the entrance during the festival.

Expect to buy your food and drink onsite. Yes it's not cheap but on the other hand you can eat really well and have some beautiful food. Save money before you go or at other times during your trip to compensate the expense.

Have a wonderful time - it truly is worth going all that way.

• 4 weeks later...

When I got back to Syd just over 72 hours after leaving the farm itself (!!! - do not ever do this - party at Glasto for 6 days and then catch a flight all the way back to Oz a day after leaving site!!!) I felt I had to declare I had been to the farm but showed them my totally scrubbed boots and after a wee bit of waiting I got through. The woman next to me who had a very scary Chimp head sculpture that looked like it had been bewigged with real chimp fur didnt fair so well though - and funnily enough, the very suspicious looking food items in her luggage were taken away too. She had NOT been to the fest, christ knows where she had come in from!

• 4 weeks later...

I went across on my own in 2004 and yes, it cost me a fortune, but it was worth every penny. I now live with one of the people in the tent next to mine that year.

Get yourself a standard two-man tent for £20-30 in the few days before the fest (though you won't ever find a tent or wellies in London the week before Glasto) and try to get your boots sorted out before you arrive. If need be, buy stuff when you arrive - but as with everything else, the sooner you can get there the better. Some stuff sells out on the first day and it's fairly hard to get a decent pitch from the Thursday onwards.

• 1 month later...
I've gone to glasto from Oz. Biggest thing to remember with gear is that on return to Oz, Australian Customs is uber strict on anyone that's been to a farm and want to inspect and clean boots, tents, everything....... Bit of a problem with glasto as mud is bound to hit your gear somewhere, some time.

SOLUTION - take over second hand and/or on the way out and/or cheap gear that you throw or give away before returning. (Sorry Mr Eavis but that's the reality for us Aussies.) Anything we needed when we got there we got from Argos and Tesco before we got to glasto but as everyone else is saying here there's plenty of stalls on site to buy from. Wellies are sold by numerous stalls all over the site. You can buy there and they were only a pound more than buying them offsite. So don't buy them till you have to.