Tent raiders

Guest Derby_Dave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any kind of strong mesh or netting that you could drape and peg over the outside of your tent to stop people slicing it?

I expect most things can be cut through, but an extra barrier would help put opportunistic thieves off, I would have thought.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe pond netting or chicken netting or similar, but any other ideas?

yeah, I did think that after I posted - the main thing really isn't valuables because I won't really be taking any, more the thought of getting my head sliced by a knife coming through th ethent. I dunno really why I am fretting about this, I have been to a fair few festivals and never had a minute's trouble!

I think because I will be taking the kids to this one taht I am worrying!

yeah, I did think that after I posted - the main thing really isn't valuables because I won't really be taking any, more the thought of getting my head sliced by a knife coming through th ethent. I dunno really why I am fretting about this, I have been to a fair few festivals and never had a minute's trouble!

I think because I will be taking the kids to this one taht I am worrying!

Yes, thanks! I think Glastonbury looks AMAZING for kids, that's why I want to take them.

We went to a couple of smaller festivals last year and the kids loved them (despite the miserable weather) and they had really hardly anything for kids.

Will definitely get to the Family camping as early as possible, get a nice spot. Cheers for the reassurances!

For anyone that's worried based on last year, I'd draw their attention to the part of that article which says that because of slow ticket sales in 2008 they sold 20,000 tickets that had no photo requirement in the week or so running up to festival. My guess is the majority of the bad guys will have come in on those tickets. ME says he won't be doing the same this year, so I hope it will be a much safer environment (call me mad but I'd like the safety on a year with good weather!!).

This will be my first Glasonbury, and pretty much the first time I go camping too so I'm looking for and easy to erect, waterproof and visable tent. I think I found one, but its very pink (and purple)! Do you think having a tent in these darling shades would be an invitation to tent raiders? I seriously have no sense of direction so I need something that stands out! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Attaching a panic/rape alarm (one of the types that operates once the strap has been pulled) to zips works well - the alarm has to be positioned so that the strap is pulled from the alarm as someone tries to unzip - they are soooooo loud it will annoy neighbours but can be worth it for everyone's sake in the vicinity.

They can be bought from loads of places quite cheaply (£5 ish) - ebay in particular is good

I'm a festival volunteer. Here's my take:

- Averaged, stats wise, Glastonbury is a relatively safe 'city'. There's worse places to live.

- Last year was not good, by Glastonbury's recent standard of being nearly crime free.

- General verdict was that the thieves used late ticket sales as an opportunity. This year, they can't.

- Please please do use the Lock Ups. Leave excess cash, leave anything. They're free, but welcome donations. You aren't handing your good stuff to randoms - the Lock Ups crew (I camped with them) are the dullest, least bribeable people on earth. :lol: They really do protect your stuff. I've left 4k of camera gear, woke up too late on the Monday, and found they've got it all organised for me elsewhere.

If that's not clear enough:

Use the Lock Ups. They're the Shizzle! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

All good common sense advice on this thread, especially to use lockups, but remember it's gonna be safer than ever this year - being sold out this early means we're all festival lovers and so crime will be at record lows (and even last year it was low, just higher than the previous couple of years).

Although I'm not sure who the voyeurism charge was against last year... there were girls in Drag Strip with naked boobies :D

Good idea to just not take important thing that you don't need or can live the weekend without e.g. digital cameras and things like that. I was at Rockness last year and both me and my friend got our mobiles stolen which was a right pain!! If you can have an expensive phone that you don't fancy taking with you (and you can afford it) then maybe pick up a cheap pay as you go? You can get a basic one for around a tenner these days and if it disapears then it's not so much of a bummer!!

Can you leave stuff in the lock ups for the duration, I'm thinking of essentials like a spare bank card, actually that's the only thing I'm thinking of, since I don't want to have too much cash, and if my card gets lost or stolen how do I get more cash out?

But if I have a spare permanently in the lock up that solves that problem. Just wondering!

Can you leave stuff in the lock ups for the duration, I'm thinking of essentials like a spare bank card, actually that's the only thing I'm thinking of, since I don't want to have too much cash, and if my card gets lost or stolen how do I get more cash out?

But if I have a spare permanently in the lock up that solves that problem. Just wondering!

C~*ts

There really is no need for this sort of stuff, it does anny me a lot!!!!

but saying that this will be my 8th Glasto and (touching some wood) no major incidents............ Have either lost or possible had stolen, beers, cigarettes, clothes from the tent, but always sleep with wallet and phone on me!!!

it is a small number (as always) who ruin it it for a few unlucky people!!!

:unsure::O:huh:

I purchased one of these types of money belts for stashing cash. I actually bought mine in Morroco on my travels for a few quid but you can get them in the UK.

Money Belt

It has lasted me 6 years now and holds quite alot of bank notes. Each morning you take out what you think you will need for the day.

I also sleep with the belt on just in case.

I think its best to be careful - but don't be paranoid!!

Use the lockups for anything really valuable, and keep stuff on you :ph34r:

In 6 Glastonbury's I've never had ANYTHING nicked, nor have any of my mates. I've been doing festivals for 14 years in total and I've actually only ever known one incident when my mates bag got nicked - maybe I'm just lucky :P