Glastonbudget

Guest airds

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This after a bit more info was added to the *ahem* minimalist .co.uk site:-

'Welcome to Glastonbudget Festival 2009. After a really hard few months we are now all systems go. For any one interested in the legal tussle and what has been going on please go to the news page. If you have already bought a ticket go to the ticket pages to see what to do next.

There has, as you will have spotted already no doubt, been alot of changes going on. The biggest change of course is the dates of the festival. To get it put together in time for the May break would be close to impossible and if I could pull it off I am sure you feel let down by the standard of festival thrown together due to time constraints.

This does though have the bonus of getting better weather. I'm sure those who have been before would not relish the thought of standing out in the rain with a 50mph wind added for good measure yet again. Anyway.............

Bands Confirmed Are Tributes to

Jimi Hendrix

Bee Gee's

Iron Maiden

Duran Duran'

I've had an email from the mockstar lot (.net) and would be inclined to go with them. It's a bit different for me though because my interest is in trading there (I was there last year) and whichever one runs in may is the one I'll attend because I'm usually at another festi on august bank holiday.

If the two do go ahead then which one would you all go to? One or both?

I've had an email from the mockstar lot (.net) and would be inclined to go with them. It's a bit different for me though because my interest is in trading there (I was there last year) and whichever one runs in may is the one I'll attend because I'm usually at another festi on august bank holiday.

If the two do go ahead then which one would you all go to? One or both?

In terms of the name of the festival, perhaps. But that shouldn't stop the Mockstar people running a festival on May bank holiday at Turnpost Farm, which is what they seem determined to do, as they're booking bands left right and centre. The rest of it is just a case of what they call it, if they're barred from calling it Glastonbudget. And presumably tickets badged as "Glastonbudget" that Mockstar recognise as ones they have sold before the dispute flared up should be honoured - as they haven't actually issued the tickets that we've bought yet it would be easy for them to rebadge them.

gawd,,,,maybe its just me...but some people will believe anything! All I want is for someone to contact me from whomever I've bought tickets from...to tell me which date is valid. On glastonbudget.net I'm having muppets tell me to trust in some messageboard response.

My partner and ! suggested glastonbudget as an alternative for our mates a couple of years ago - in response mainly to us not getting tickets for Glastonbury (we later won them...woohoo) and as such feel somewhat responsible for our group. Is it too much for glastonbudget.net to prove they have our details and contact us via those to tell us our tickets are safe?????

Sigh...roll on festival season....

Edited by polgara

Well I have been trying to keep an eye on this for a while but nothing really seems to be being made clear... .co.uk have said that there will be information put on thier news page on the evening of the 2nd... um its the third and there is still nothing there, and .net is still happily going about its business as Glastonbudget, even though I would have thought the name would have had to change following any legal action, if they do not actually own the name, which according to .co.uk at least seems to be the case... its really confusing, and I was looking forward to this as a change from the mainstream festi's but to be honest, if one or the other doesn't explain in black and white what has happened and what is going to happen, I think I would rather not risk my cash and hold off until next year... a shame...

We've currently got about 10 people who purchased tickets via .co.uk prior to this 'split' and so are unsure who has our booking details/money etc and there are about another 6 ready to buy tickets. As far as I'm concerned until I receive notification via either the email or correspondence address from which I purchased the tickets from then I will be advising my friends not to touch this festival with a bargepole. I've posted on their forum but just have token platitudes that 'everything is ok' and this site is totally legit...which still doesnt tell me who has my money and whether I'll receive a ticket!

In comparison with G/Leeds/Latitude I appreciate it's small potatoes....but I'm feeling a bit mushroomish (and not in a good way). With the number of small fessies that are likely to be hit this year I'm not having a good feeling about Glastonbudget .

Well I have been trying to keep an eye on this for a while but nothing really seems to be being made clear... .co.uk have said that there will be information put on thier news page on the evening of the 2nd... um its the third and there is still nothing there, and .net is still happily going about its business as Glastonbudget, even though I would have thought the name would have had to change following any legal action, if they do not actually own the name, which according to .co.uk at least seems to be the case... its really confusing, and I was looking forward to this as a change from the mainstream festi's but to be honest, if one or the other doesn't explain in black and white what has happened and what is going to happen, I think I would rather not risk my cash and hold off until next year... a shame...

the recent 'case' between the two was, I've been led to believe, only a domain name dispute which is heard by Nominet (who are the registrars for .uk domains). This case will have resolved only who has the right to use the glastonbudget.co.uk domain.

If the owner of the glastonbudget trademark (which is the guy with the .co.uk domain) wants to ensure compliance by others with his trademark he will, I believe, have to take separate enforcement action against those abusing the trademark. If he takes that enforcement action he can be pretty sure of winning (because of his trademark) and quite possibly be paid compensation for the losses caused by the abuse of his trademarked name.

Of course, none of that deals with any possible moral rights and wrongs of the matter, and none of that makes any clearer what happens with either attempt to run a festival or effects on those who have bought tickets. :rolleyes:

As posted by me on the .net forum...

I think an essential point is still being missed here. Whilst it's obviously appreciated that people on this forum are offering assurances, positive messages etc but at the end of the day these carry no real weight with the Festival customers.

It has already been clearly demonstrated how easy it is to set up a website with a convincing sounding URL and associated email addresses - as such and in these rather unusual circumstances that the Festival finds itself in, announcements made on the news page of that website, messages posted on a discussion forum, replies to emails etc, although appreciated carry no real weight or credibility with a remotely savvy customer.

Let me give you an example to illustrate what I mean - I could set up a website today, say www.glastonbudget2009.info, with an associated email address of enquiries@glastonbudget2009.info and quickly populate it with lots of news, pics etc. Now if I post an announcement on my news page saying this is the official site and not to panic, reply to emails sent to enquiries@glastonbudget2009 saying don't panic and post some messages on the forum saying don't panic, would this be sufficient for you to have enough confidence to buy tickets from my site? I sincerely hope not.

It's a simple matter of restoring customer confidence with some common sense and customer service. Let me give you another example - a group of 4 of us recently bought tickets for Elbow in Blackpool as soon as they were released in 2 transactions of 2 tickets each. Our mates got their tickets posted out to them almost immediately but we did not. A couple of weeks passed, we were potentially getting a little concerned, we then received a PROACTIVE email from the ticket agency using contact details from the original transaction and quoting details specific to the transaction - order number, customer name, address etc. This advised there would be a delay of x weeks and if any longer they would contact us to update further. Bingo! Customer confidence restored.

What is being suggested here is a PROACTIVE communication from Mockstar to all their Festival customers who have already purchased a ticket quoting confidence-inspiring transaction-specific information such as 1st line of postal address say. Restore confidence in these customers in this way and these customers may then magically become ambassadors for Mockstar spreading the good word with some CREDIBILITY.

Until something like this happens I'm afraid all the reassurances and platitudes are just words on a screen, nothing more.

Well now .co.uk has had all the info on there taken down, including links to ticket sales, and details of the acts (although it only ever was who they were tribute acts of) leaving just lots of blank pages which just leaves us with the .net lot... but as I mentioned previously, if they were just to release a statement on there, letting all of us know whats been going on rather than pretending it hasn't been and giving a bit of weight to proceedings then that might set my mind at rest a little (although I think I much prefered the line up developing on the .co.uk site!!)

Would just like to say.

It's obviously legal and that is why it's all gone quiet when ticket purchasers want or need some kind of answers.

Some threads have been removed from this discussion so it is obviously not pleasant.

I myself will hang on before buyiny a ticket and if it is not looking positve soon then my May weekender will be spent else where.

business reltionships do break down and the likes but i for one don't like people who keep taking money when things are not going well, and lets face it no one knows who will win what ever case is happening, It does seem to be going on a while now. Is all the money being spent on legal fees. It don't seem to be being spent on advertising. The only advetising is from .net so who too trust.

An organisation who keep taking your money with hollow assurances or some one who no assurances all but at least don't keep asking for money.

Skegness here I come.

Having had a phone call and done a little research, it's clear that the case over the .co.uk domain name was NOT after all won by the person who recently has been controlling that website.

The full details can be read in the Nominet* judgement here.

(* Nominet is the organisation which ultimately controls all .uk domain names).

If you don't want to read all of the very long "he said, I said" arguments in that document, then you can simply read the very first bit to understand which party is the complainant (the .net people) and which is the respondent (the .co.uk person), and then go the end of the document, to Section 7, which gives the judgement in favour of the .net people - to transfer the .co.uk domain to them.

I've been led to understand that actual control of the .co.uk domain name will revert to the .net people imminently, and have no reason to disbelieve what I've been told.

So anyway ..... I now believe it's the case that the .net people have the legal rights to the use of the Glastonbudget name, and it's them that will be running the Glastonbudget festival in May.

eFestivals will be listing Glastonbudget festival using the details that are on the glastonbudget.net website.

Edited by eFestivals

Hate to say it, but I did say pretty much all of that in my deleted post a few weeks ago. However, I'm not complaining as I fully understand the position it put efestivals under and have apologised for that.

Maybe now people will believe the .net site and Mockstar to be the genuine organisers behind Glastonbudget 2009 and give them their full support for this years festival which is set to be one of the best yet - providing people turn up for it.

Its good to have read both sides of the argument however and I can see both sides but ultimately the .co.uk site was being used abusively. Of that, there can be no doubt in anyone's mind.

Roll on May 22nd!!

Well I have taken the plunge and bought my tickets and told my party to buy theirs.

There is enough talk / back stories / myspace links to prove everything is ok

so I will seeya all in May ;)

...and thanks Neil for all your help in finding out what happened, it was a great help ;)

Went Glastonbduget a coupla years ago and was plannin on again but wooah looks like some wacky stuff is or isnt going on this year reading this....but i can take it the festival is goin on as planned and glastonbudget.co.uk is the official site? ;) although saying that the website isn't workin properly for shit for me....links not workin pages not loadin etc... ;)

Went Glastonbduget a coupla years ago and was plannin on again but wooah looks like some wacky stuff is or isnt going on this year reading this....but i can take it the festival is goin on as planned and glastonbudget.co.uk is the official site? :( although saying that the website isn't workin properly for shit for me....links not workin pages not loadin etc... :rolleyes:

use the glastonbudget.net website for the moment.

The .co.uk website is currently in limbo, but will sometime soon revert to the control of the guys who run the .net website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fancying going to glastonbuget as heard great reviews for past festivals, but not sure now with all the tooing and froing with the organisers. Struggling to work out how to buy tickets off their website too. Anyone know how things are going with ticket sales. Dont want to get there and its dead??