Breaking Bad (Warning, contains spoilers)

t8yman

its fantastic, but the wire still wears the crown imho.

There are many shows better than The Wire. Some of them made by HBO.

Hell, The Wire isn't even the best based-in-Baltimore HBO show about African American drug crime. That is, even in it's niche it's not even #1 (that would be The Corner, better than The Wire in every imaginable way and several unpredictable ones too).

Just watched now and yes the garage scene was fantastic as it seemed the first episode was just setting the scene up till then. The bit with the house and saying hello to his neighbor threw up so many questions. Its up there with the sopranos for me as the best series ever, can't think of much else that comes close.

There are many shows better than The Wire. Some of them made by HBO.

Hell, The Wire isn't even the best based-in-Baltimore HBO show about African American drug crime. That is, even in it's niche it's not even #1 (that would be The Corner, better than The Wire in every imaginable way and several unpredictable ones too).

Thats a pretty bold statement to make.

Have you even watched the Wire?

Its not about African American drug crime - its about Baltimore.

And I stand by my feelings on it, as good as BB is, I still think The Wire is the best TV ever made. Admittedly, its crown has had some amazing challengers in recent years, sopranos, game of thrones and BB to name but 3.

I know its all personal opinion, and I'm not gonna derail the BB thread on this one.

Edited by t8yman

The beginning and the end of the episode were just fantastic television.

The beginning threw up so many questions and signs of where things will lead. His identity as Heisenberg has obviously been made public what with the graffiti in the house and the reaction of the neighbour when she sees him. The derelict state of the house, along with him arranging his own bacon in the previous flash forward, points to the fact that Skyler is no longer in his life and considering him returning for the Ricin she could be dead and Walt is exacting revenge.

The showdown between Walt and Hank lived up to all expectations, the tease as Walt walked out and then Hank letting out his frustration only to be told by Heisenberg, not Walt, to "tread carefully".............chilling !

Thats a pretty bold statement to make.

Have you even watched the Wire?

Yes, including the two seasons that weren't soul-crushingly boring and the three that were.

It's at it's best observing African American drug crime in Baltimore because that's what the writers of the original book, Simon and Burns, later the series, did. They spent months observing the poor African American communities of Baltimore.

So, yes. I've watched The Wire.

Counterpoint, given I've mentioned The Corner (notably also by Simon and Burns) have you watched it?

Watch it and then remind me why Old Etonion McFuckingNulty is worth so much as a streak of piss.

I've watched the Wire and The Corner numerous times, and disagree with this. As much as The Corner is a very moving, character-driven exploration of how drugs and crime rip apart a group of people (and I defy anyone not too feel slightly emotional when the real-life counterparts of the characters in the story appear at the end), the scope of the Wire means that it isn't simply a television drama - it's a cultural study of not just drugs and crime and the impact of anti-drug policies has on a city, but also of the collapse of the blue-collar class, the way the political classes and other elite tacitly supports the drug industry to improve their own position, the way that schools offer no escape route for anyone in these inner city areas and the toothless nature of the media. The Corner makes you cry for a couple of people. The Wire makes you cry for a generation after generation of people who happen to be born in the wrong place.

Breaking Bad "Blood Money" ; amazing. The foreshadowing going on is incredible. Skinny Pete's plot proposal for Star Trek was in itself a key to the remaining seven episodes.

The garage scene with Hank and Walt was perfect. The change in Hank from the beginning to now is quite amazing. He was so in your face, arrogant and confident but it's like almost every bit of energy and personality has gradually disappeared due to his obsession with finding Heisenberg. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him now.

I can't wait to find out what happened with the house. I'm expecting a mental action scene with Walt just managing to escape as usual, but probably with a few other people being killed. There's a fence around the house so it must be a crime scene. I can definitely see Jesse being killed.

The Corner is just six episodes, total.

I disagree The Corner was just about a couple of people, I thought (especially for the budget) they did the cross-generational thing well showing neighbourhood was back in the 50s, mixed-race and relatively prosperous, which is something The Wire (perhaps by it's nature) did nothing to show.

Fantastic stuff, its killing me not having a boxset to watch back to back. My feeling is Hank is gonna try and roll Jesse, tell him they have Walt in custody, and that he has given him up. Jesse is gonna struggle with his demons and his new found distrust of Walt, but ultimately give nothing up.

On Talking Bad they showed a still from next weeks episode, and it looks like there is gonna be a really interesting meeting........

Fantastic episode but can't piece a certain part of the episode together..

I understand how Jesse worked out that Saul took the ricin but how does he know Walt posioned Brock?

Walt used the lily of the valley and not the ricin. If Walt had used the ricin then Brock would be dead.

Doesn't seem to add up. I am probably just missing something though as season 4 was a long time ago.

Anyone help clear this up? Discussed with a few friends and none of them seem to know either.

Edit: This has now been cleared up.

Edited by When Jokers Attack