Retrofest 2008

Guest sanatogen

This Retrofest was indeed bigger and better managed than 2007.

The venue was better and more varied tents setup for amusement throughout the day.

The choice of location for the event (Strathclyde park) was significantly better and (more hospitable) than the Ayr site last year.

The 15 minute direct bus transfer provided by Happybus was definitely a boon, again significantly better than the bus provider at the Ayr site which was a DISASTER.

Considering we arrived on Sunday it was already a mudfest. That was to be expected :lol:

Was really annoyed at not being able to take packed lunch onto the site since my girlfriend had specific diet requirements. Particularly galling as we noticed the amount of Alcohol smuggled in.

Tiger tiger tent was fun. It was a 80s disco tent with some additional atmosphere provided by the Blues brothers. You could text in your play request.

Merchandise tent did not have a lineup list. Could not buy a programme.

As with any event, the food and drink offered was very expensive and quality was exceedingly poor. £3.50 for a half glass of cocktail which was no more than "cheap punch".

But the sand section and deckchairs were a nice touch.

Unsigned Band section was a good idea, not too in your face.

In between each act, the arena speakers played out 80s tunes which kept everyone in the festive mood. With 80s music playing, people singing the tunes, and the drink flowing meant many groups werent put off dancing in the rain.

We didnt see the BlowMonkeys play, but got a good position in the crowd for Midge Ure who had all the moves and his voice was still very strong. Very well done, despite the rain.

Next up was Paul Young, who had all the chat and the moves, he needs to work on his voice which was weak at times and beginning to pack in at the end.

After that it was Kajagoogoo, Limahl was reunited with the band and he looked very confortable on stage and working the crowd. I thought that their performance last year with Nick Beggs leading the band was better due to his presence and quality vocals.

It's possible that Limahl coming back might mean more fans.

Bootleg Beatles were next up. I felt that they should have NEVER been there.* The Beatles broke up before the 70s began! They were however very authentic and performed

with great aplomb and the crowd loved them.

I wouldnt want to see Bootleg Beatles back at this event however. They killed off the momentum that acts like Midge Ure and Kajagoogoo got started.

Howard Jones was even better than last year. He was backed up with support memebers this time round to give the performance more vibrancy and kick. He clearly loved playing here and pleasing the crowd. What a performer.

Next up was BoneyM. How they got such a high placing is anyone's guess. They should have been before Kajagoogoo. It appeared as if BoneyM killed of the momentum that Howard Jones had kick started.

*Overall, the Production value was better than last year. The 2007 lineup however had more gravitas.*

A festive atmosphere throughout. Everyone apeared to be having a good time, even the muddiest folk.

Where was bucks Fizz? It was a shame, but these things happen.

Only one safety concern was nighttime, ambient lighting around the site was low and the increasingly muddy fields could have led to some tired festive folk falling into the mud and been trampled on by the blissfully unaware.

• 4 months later...

Sanatogen - the name alone says it all. I attended for the full weekend in both 2007 and 2008 (unlike Mr One Dayer Sanatogen) and if he had bothered to turn up at the beginning of the day and not late afternoon he would have seen Bucks Fizz appearing at there alloted time of Midday. There may not have been programmes this year but there were plastic laminates with all the festival information on it including all the stage times for both stages and the other activities available on the site. Ignorance is bliss.

I felt that Retrofest 2008 was a serious improvement on 2007 (even though I had a ball in 2007) and the line up was just as strong. The comment about the Bootleg Beatles not belonging there is total nonsense. Its called Retrofest - now I take that as any acts from any decade over 10 to 15 years ago as being able to play here. I know some people have got a hang up stating that it should be only 80s acts but its never been called an 80s festival!!!

The whole site was far better and proved that the organisers listened to what had been said in year one and although I agree that the cocktails were a bit wishy washy, the rest of the beer choice was far greater than in 2007 as was the food. And I am sure that if Mr Sanatagen had explained his partners eating habits to the security they would have allowed them in with it - again, they were far better than 2007's "security" who appeared to let anyone and everyone in with anything they wanted and who looked like they just wanted an easy time.

The acts were all strong in particular Midge Ure, Howard Jones, Boy George, Kajagoogoo, Peter Andre (yes Peter Andre!!), Kim Wilde, Bjorn Again, Nik Kershaw, The Christians - in fact, compared with 2007 there was not a duff act (none of your Ben from Curiousity Killed the Cat for a start!).

Rumour has it that Retrofest 2009 is going to move to an even better site (not sure where though) and that they will have at least one 70s icon act from the States in the line up. I have already bought VIP tickets for 2009 so am just waiting until Feb 16th when they launch to see who is playing.

Personally I love this festival as do my friends and am really looking forward to another great weekend! Perhaps Sanatagen will attend the full weekend this year.

This Retrofest was indeed bigger and better managed than 2007.

The venue was better and more varied tents setup for amusement throughout the day.

The choice of location for the event (Strathclyde park) was significantly better and (more hospitable) than the Ayr site last year.

The 15 minute direct bus transfer provided by Happybus was definitely a boon, again significantly better than the bus provider at the Ayr site which was a DISASTER.

Considering we arrived on Sunday it was already a mudfest. That was to be expected :rolleyes:

Was really annoyed at not being able to take packed lunch onto the site since my girlfriend had specific diet requirements. Particularly galling as we noticed the amount of Alcohol smuggled in.

Tiger tiger tent was fun. It was a 80s disco tent with some additional atmosphere provided by the Blues brothers. You could text in your play request.

Merchandise tent did not have a lineup list. Could not buy a programme.

As with any event, the food and drink offered was very expensive and quality was exceedingly poor. £3.50 for a half glass of cocktail which was no more than "cheap punch".

But the sand section and deckchairs were a nice touch.

Unsigned Band section was a good idea, not too in your face.

In between each act, the arena speakers played out 80s tunes which kept everyone in the festive mood. With 80s music playing, people singing the tunes, and the drink flowing meant many groups werent put off dancing in the rain.

We didnt see the BlowMonkeys play, but got a good position in the crowd for Midge Ure who had all the moves and his voice was still very strong. Very well done, despite the rain.

Next up was Paul Young, who had all the chat and the moves, he needs to work on his voice which was weak at times and beginning to pack in at the end.

After that it was Kajagoogoo, Limahl was reunited with the band and he looked very confortable on stage and working the crowd. I thought that their performance last year with Nick Beggs leading the band was better due to his presence and quality vocals.

It's possible that Limahl coming back might mean more fans.

Bootleg Beatles were next up. I felt that they should have NEVER been there.* The Beatles broke up before the 70s began! They were however very authentic and performed

with great aplomb and the crowd loved them.

I wouldnt want to see Bootleg Beatles back at this event however. They killed off the momentum that acts like Midge Ure and Kajagoogoo got started.

Howard Jones was even better than last year. He was backed up with support memebers this time round to give the performance more vibrancy and kick. He clearly loved playing here and pleasing the crowd. What a performer.

Next up was BoneyM. How they got such a high placing is anyone's guess. They should have been before Kajagoogoo. It appeared as if BoneyM killed of the momentum that Howard Jones had kick started.

*Overall, the Production value was better than last year. The 2007 lineup however had more gravitas.*

A festive atmosphere throughout. Everyone apeared to be having a good time, even the muddiest folk.

Where was bucks Fizz? It was a shame, but these things happen.

Only one safety concern was nighttime, ambient lighting around the site was low and the increasingly muddy fields could have led to some tired festive folk falling into the mud and been trampled on by the blissfully unaware.