Broken foot!

Guest hrmwebbr

Hi. I'm asking this for my sister who's supposed to be going to Reading.

Unfortunately she's managed to break her foot and has been forbidden to put any weight on it at all, although she can get around (hopping) on crutches.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had any advice that I could pass on to her. I've checked the offical site and apparently they don't offer any sort of help to people with 'temporary' injuries...

She's really down right now cos it was supposed to be her 21st birthday party too, and all her friends will be going. ;) Do you think there's any way she could manage hopping around?

Thanks loads

I would get in touch with FR and see what they say.

I would say it depends if she is in pain.

It might not speed healing but if it is not uncomfortable then she is more likely to have a good time.

Also, she should make sure she takes a camping chair for the arena, then she can settle herself down som,ewhere and get all her mates to bring her drinks and food and stuff,e sp if its her b'day!

I'd say it's possible if she's prepared for some inconvenience. I've seen a few people hopping about on crutches before, and while they must be quite tough to brave the bustling crowds, it isn't totally forbidden for someone with a broken foot to turn up. Definitely not something absolutely anyone should try, but if she's really determined and has enough friends to look out for her she can make it work.

It also depends on the weather though. If it's hot and dry it's easier to rest, but if it's rainy than she'll have to spend quite a lot of time on her feet which may make it difficult if she can't put any pressure on it.

All depends if she will have someone to look after her constantly. You have to consider that the site itself is not designed for crutches. Most footways will have gaps and small holes to allow for drainage in which a crutch could easily become stuck.

She should forget about drinking too (if she plans on drinking). If I was her, I'd consider only going for one of the days, the one she is looking forward to most. Having a broken foot before Reading is bad luck but going to reading and risk ending up with permanent damage because some dunken lunatic falls and crushes the joint completely is foolish imo

Like someone else suggested, a wheelchair would be much more suitable to the terrain

Edited by Bass Cadet

That really sucks.

A wheelchair sounds like a lot better bet than crutches. If it's rainy and muddy then not going sounds like the best plan by far, but if it's not too muddy then I would have thought it would be possible to enjoy the festival. If she does choose to go it would be very sensible to make sure there is a way for her to get home at any point in the weekend. If she's taking painkillers then it might cause less problems with security if they are in a blister pack rather than a bottle...

Unfortunately from what I've read it does not look like she will be allowed to use any of the disabled facilities (a rule that doesn't make sense to me.) It's a few years since I've been to Reading, but in the past however idiotically people were behaving they'd always look out for anyone who needed it.

If she's got a cast on, then get one of these. If it's ordered today it should be with her on Monday.

The name of the doctor providing services for Reading is on the website somewhere (or it was 3 weeks ago, I can't find it now) - it might be worth phoning him for some advice.

Good luck!

Dan (hopefully having his ankle cast removed on Wednesday...)

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm in the same situation and was just wondering what your sister has decided to do,

On the 22nd July I had an operation on my foot which has left me having to wear a weight bearing shoe, (all my weight goes onto my heel and I walk slower than normal but can walk without crutches). I have to wear this for 6weeks and next week i.e Reading will be my fifth week. I asked the doctor last week if I could go and he said yes but I would have to be really careful, I have had a shockingly awful summer due to this operation and the last thing I want to do is to not go to Reading, especially since I'm back at college instead. The doctor said that if I get bumped into or trodden on it may mean another operation but I'm a sensible person anyway and went to Leeds last year so know what it's like.

Any suggestions or thoughts as to what I should do?

Hope your sister is getting better and she can go. :)

I'd say your main problem would be getting to and from the arena. When you're inside you and your friends could find a decent place to sit down and stay there for most of the day unless you want to move around for different bands. Obviously allow more time than usual for getting around and try to avoid the majorly busy times, although that's easier said than done.