Which Song/s Take You Back To Glastonbury?

Guest DeclarationOfWar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Throw those curtains wide..."

Awesome.

Chemical Brothers / Beth Orton - Where do I begin - We saw the Chems in 97 on the Other stage and then watching the recorded Glasto footage they had used this song for a late-night montage of mud and hammered people...

also..

Dr Who - Orbital

Mafich Arabi - Banco De Gaia

Star Shpongled Banner - Shpongle

Last year that bloke, its really annoying me cos i cant remember his name, but i was at the front of the other stage waiting for arcade fire but this guy who was on bofore them, Rufus Wainwright!!!! Thats the one!!!! He covered Jeff Buckley 'Hallelujah' was just a gorgeous moment that i was not expecting and now whenever i hear that song takes me back to being stood there waiting for arcade fire but amazed at the effect that song had on the crowd

For me it's not always the the songs from the bands but the songs that the guys doing the sound checks used to use for a few years:

James Blunt – So Long Jimmy (and I'm not even into him, honest!)

No Doubt – Hella Good (do really like this song)

Also at my first glasto in 2003 camped at Oxlers, I could hear the Glade area playing St Etienne's Only Love Can Break Your Heart and when I hear that now I think back to lying in my tent late at night with new and exciting sounds around me!

Moby's Why Does My Heart always makes me think of his amazing backing singer he had with him.

And Hey Jude always always brings me back to Paul McCartney's glasto gig!

:)

Edited by barney73

without a doubt elbow, On a day like this.

It would have been even better if they had brought it forward a couple of songs and played it whilst the sun was still out. I know it was an obvious finale, but i could see the sun creeping down to the band of cloud on the horizon and knew the song wouldn't make it in time.

Last year was my first so it would have to be Rodrigo Y Gabriella's version of Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here". Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it! In fact just listening to the Album reminds me of Glastonbury.

This year it has to be Leonard Cohen "Hallelujah". I know Jeff Buckley does a good version but nothing beats Leonard Cohen's. I have listened to it daily since getting home!

Beautiful Day by The Levellers

A few years back went down to Jazz World in the afternoon.

Despite being on my own , I was dancing with thousands of friends.

The spirit of Glastonbury

:)

All from 2000 and all make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

David Bowie - Life On Mars

Chemical Brothes - Hey Boy Hey Girl

Leftfield - Phat Planet

Oh and for some reason Kelis - I hate you so much right now.....She came on after Toploader so it couldn't get any worse, only caught that song though.

Oh I forgot !

Pounding by Doves !

Once when they were on The Other Stage and all I can remember is the shiver down my back and purple lights.

And a few years ago in The Old Queens Head , they dropped this on the Weds evening (I think ) and myself and my friends all looked

at each other and not saying a word we knew

Glastonbury was kicking off - and it was gonna be great - I think was 2002 or 2003.

I love that part of a festival , tents up , your mates are all here , you go to a club and one song really gets it going for you and sets

you up for a beautiful few days.

Time to Pretend by MGMT.

It was my first Glastonbury this year and we caught the last few songs of MGMT. I looked into the tent, which was packed, the lights looked amazing and there was a sea of people all jumping around having a fantastic time. I just thought, this is it, this it whats its all about. Everyones here to enjoy the music and have a fantastic time. Thats the moment I got what Glastonbury was all about!

I find that it's not so much the tunes I heard when i was there as the ones I heard on the way home that remind me.

Last year it was Torn on the Platform by Jack Penate and The Klaxons Golden sands even though I didn't see those acts whilst i was there.

This year it's even more bizarrely (because they're acts that weren't there atall) - Little Jackie (The world should revolve around me), that one about liking me beter when you're naked, and that strange chipmunk rap about angels waiting. Just because they were on the radio on the way home.

Oh no - I've just thought of one that gets me - The very first act we saw at Glastonbury this year - Glasvagas - Daddy's Gone - made me cry at the time and gets me when i hear it now too.