Re visiting the Glastonbury site

Guest KEITHCCC

Has anyone ever visited the site at times other than the festival weekend? I really would like to have a nice walk around the fields and see them without the stalls/people/tents/litter etc....

Are the lanes public footpaths or does Mr Eavis set the dogs on visitors tresspassing the farm land ?

Has anyone ever visited the site at times other than the festival weekend? I really would like to have a nice walk around the fields and see them without the stalls/people/tents/litter etc....

Are the lanes public footpaths or does Mr Eavis set the dogs on visitors tresspassing the farm land ?

There aren't any public footpaths or other designated rights-of-way to speak of across the actual site - unless the track to the Dairy Unit and/or the old Railway Line are classified as 'public'. I suspect that the old railway line may well be unless the land was originally compulsorily 'acquired' from the farm and subsequently given or bought back.

No need to buy maps ... here's a handy OS site for looking at OS maps various.

worthy%20farm.jpg

Many peeps have visited and wandered around before but just now isn't a good time obviously ! although I'm not sure what the 'official' word is mind you. I get the impression that it isn't a particular problem PROVIDING that you're sensible, respect the place and just confirm it's OK to have a wander if there's anyone around and all that but I also doubt that it's encouraged because several 10's/100's/1000's peeps just turning up for a wander throughout the year would be a right old PITA !! Maybe the best thing is to contact the office/farm by email and ask what the score is ?

Edited by mikeb

This is the thread where peeps have posted photos from visiting before.

There are no formal rights of way, but we all know what a top guy Mr Eavis is, so the approach of stick to the paths/country code and don't be an idiot is probably your best bet. And if anyone does come up to you proclaiming "get orf moi land!" best respect them and do so! I went in late April which was a great time to go, a few bits had been beginning to be delivered (flat pack pit toilets!) and the skeleton of the Pyramid was up. As has been said though, probably not a good time right now with clean up operation still ongoing.

/index.php?showtopic=25144&hl=worthy&st=120">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...rthy&st=120

I am going camping in Dorset in a couple of days !

If I see the sign for Pilton or Glastonbury , I just may have to take a bit of a det-tour.

Had a bit of a wander in 06 - it was hard getting my bearings cos the Pyramid Stage was taken down

that year. But my heart starting racing when I saw a "Markets gate C " sign.

I need to get out more !

:)

• 2 weeks later...

If you drive down Worthy Lane in Pilton you can get a good view of the Pyramid (if it's there). There's also Cockmill Lane that runs down the east side of the site which, I believe, has some good views.

However, if you're going to go wandering around the Festival site it would probably be courteous to let them know you're doing it, especially if it's later in the year -- if you drive down Worthy Lane you'll eventually get to the Farmhouse and the Festival Administrative Office beyond it (it's the building in front of you as you pass Worthy Farm on your right - drive past it and bear left for the entrance)... knock on the door and ask, they can only say no (!)... don't make the mistake of thinking the Farmhouse is the Office, it ain't... walking into Mike Eavis's kitchen is probably NOT a good way to get them onside, lol !!

Nothing ventured, as they say... :-)

This time of year, of course, the site will be still be teeming with people clearing up etc... I notice the fences have come down in the last few days and are now piled up alongside the A361.

Sean

• 5 months later...
This is the thread where peeps have posted photos from visiting before.

There are no formal rights of way, but we all know what a top guy Mr Eavis is, so the approach of stick to the paths/country code and don't be an idiot is probably your best bet. And if anyone does come up to you proclaiming "get orf moi land!" best respect them and do so! I went in late April which was a great time to go, a few bits had been beginning to be delivered (flat pack pit toilets!) and the skeleton of the Pyramid was up. As has been said though, probably not a good time right now with clean up operation still ongoing.

/index.php?showtopic=25144&hl=worthy&st=120">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...rthy&st=120

Edited by DaveMac