Nine Inch Nails

Guest glastofun

They headlined The Other stage back in 2000 straight after Moby!..brilliant year that was for performances...Chemical Brothers and David Bowie as well, bloody marvelous it was!!

2000 is still one of my favourite Glastos ever, Great line up, Great Weather, Great Atmosphere..and what seemed like the biggest amount of people Worthy Farm had ever seen in one Field..just incredible

Edited by DiscoDolly

Ahhh what a shame I wasn't a glasto regular then. Do you think they'll tour in the UK with The Slip? If I like The Slip - is that a good indication I'll like mnost of the NIN stuff, or is this album a little different? I have some exploring to do!

Ahhh what a shame I wasn't a glasto regular then. Do you think they'll tour in the UK with The Slip? If I like The Slip - is that a good indication I'll like mnost of the NIN stuff, or is this album a little different? I have some exploring to do!

heavy though NIN may be, they're not exactly a 'mosh' style band. i'd better quantify that, it sounds weird. 'mosh' bands would be yer archetypal metal acts or yer punky metal - stuff that actively encourages leaping around, moshing, circle pits and all that. i think thats the kind of bands that arent really wanted at glastonbury because of the crowd issue (essentially, every band at download, sadly)

Nine Inch Nails are a bit more of an introspective heavy band - and i think would go down a treat headlining the other stage. ive seen 'em twice and they were bloody excellent both times. fingers crossed, cos i'd love to see 'em there next year!

They headlined The Other stage back in 2000 straight after Moby!..brilliant year that was for performances...Chemical Brothers and David Bowie as well, bloody marvelous it was!!

2000 is still one of my favourite Glastos ever, Great line up, Great Weather, Great Atmosphere..and what seemed like the biggest amount of people Worthy Farm had ever seen in one Field..just incredible

When asked which years he enjoyed the most Michael Eavis replied that 2000 was one that for him stood out apart from most other years, I think he said the first glasto ever and then 2000 when interviewed. My friends and i all still talk about the festival that year as being a defining moment in our lives, apart from it being the last without the uber-fence and it being damn near perfect weather from the day everyone arrived on site to leaving it was the best atmosphere id ever felt at glasto. The air itself felt electric with the buzz going around the site..amazing!

The Slip is actually by far my least favourate NIN album, but as a freebe shan't complain Discipline and Echoplex are great tracks. Although it's another of their weaker efforts you may find that With Teeth is a bit more up your street if you like The Slip though (at least style wise). But if you want to get into their most acclaimed stuff everyone else is on the ball really.

At Glasto, doen't it come down to Eavis's apparent reluctance to book heavier bands? Would be an amazing headliner or just below, don't know how much of a crowd they'd get though, even at Reading it was embaressingly easy to get to the front.

A bit off-topic this. As I've mentioned in another thread (sorry for repeating) I think there is a case for a 'harder' type of stage with some heavier acts on it. Why not take some of the dance village away (overkill in my opinion; no need for 7 stages in such a small area catering for exactly the same thing) and use space for that.

I think that there would be far less of a problem than a 'Download' type festival with crushes/excessive moshing because of the diverse nature of Glastonbury leading to less crowds. I don't see anyone clamouring for Coldplay or Radiohead being banned from the festival and there are just as many crushes there with the sheer weight of people at the front.

I don't recall too much problem when bands like The Offspring played on what was then the NME stage years ago. In fact, I can't recall a death due to crushing at a british festival since G&R at Donington when there was about 107,000 people watching one stage.

NIN would be fantastic again on one of the main stages. But have a metal/rock type thing for up and coming acts; even if they are only British bands. It is a festival of performing arts and as we found with Jay-Z this year, one man's meat is another's poison.

BTW I thought that the atmosphere at G in 2000 was a bit nasty, especially on the last night with upwards of 300,000 people on the site, insufficient infrastructure for them all and some people in just to rob. My opinion again....

The Slip is actually by far my least favourate NIN album, but as a freebe shan't complain Discipline and Echoplex are great tracks. Although it's another of their weaker efforts you may find that With Teeth is a bit more up your street if you like The Slip though (at least style wise). But if you want to get into their most acclaimed stuff everyone else is on the ball really.

At Glasto, doen't it come down to Eavis's apparent reluctance to book heavier bands? Would be an amazing headliner or just below, don't know how much of a crowd they'd get though, even at Reading it was embaressingly easy to get to the front.

So The Slip isn't getting much positive feedback! I haven't had any exposure to them at all previously, so I haven't got much of a yard stick to judge it against. Like I said, I thought there's no harm in trying considering it's free....and I just happened to really like it. I think I will follow your recomendations though - thanks everyone.

nin in the dark would be brilliant, seen them at the apollo and leeds fest last year, and the lighting really makes the atmosphere (they were still the best band at leeds, just pipping the pumpkins). Only bad thing was the crowd, i'm not one for being a musical snob, but seeing the massive crowd for lost prophets (which all seemed a bit faux) diminish for nin, i felt like battering them all with a giant metaphorical music appreciation stick, that was until i realised i'd managed to miss most of lost prophets and still wound up on the second row, happy days indeed!

for anyone curious about them, nin's live dvd gives a good impression of the atmosphere they create playing live.

• 1 month later...